What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.10 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filthy upgrade from 386.9. 4 Days up, logs are clean and smooth sailing as usual

As always appreciate your efforts.

Seeing a flood of these messages on the AC5300 router (one AC5300 mesh node wired backhaul)

Mar 15 14:59:54 ToddRouter kernel: 1C:91:80:F0:FA:1D not mesh client, can't delete it
Mar 15 15:01:31 ToddRouter kernel: C4:9D:ED:84:40:99 not mesh client, can't delete it
Mar 15 15:01:31 ToddRouter kernel: D0:FC:D0:21:34:B1 not exist in UDB, can't delete it
Mar 15 15:06:18 ToddRouter kernel: nvram: consolidating space!
Mar 15 15:07:41 ToddRouter kernel: C4:9D:ED:84:40:99 not mesh client, can't delete it
Mar 15 15:09:12 ToddRouter kernel: 00:11:32:61:44:FF not mesh client, can't delete it

Not sure how to fix the "not exist" or "can't delete" messages or even if they're important

The nvram consolidating space message, getting a lot of those as well.
When I do a nvram show at the router the result is: size: 90305 bytes (40767 left), through SCMerlin it shows for nvram use: 88.21 / 128 KB

Had another issue where SPDMerlin/speedtest results stop showing up in the log, but a
restart of scribe which triggered it to update it's cron job fixed it.

There's an update to Entware that's pending, but holding off for now as I read on the forum several modules are
causing problems with some of the addon scripts - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/error-libssl-so-1-1-wrong-elf-class-elfclass32.84052/

Last edited:
Updated dirty. UI reboot with a jffs format and a power reboot. So far so good.

thanks

random info

Mar 15 18:47:56 kernel: nvram: consolidating space!
Uptime0 days 23 hour(s) 47 minute(s) 58 seconds
Temperatures2.4 GHz: 39°C - 5 GHz: 44°C - CPU: 53°C

JFFS2.51 / 62.75 MB

NVRAM usage58657 / 65536 bytes

Last edited:
random info

Mar 15 18:47:56 kernel: nvram: consolidating space!
See that same consolidating space message from time to time on a RT-AC68U (currently on 386.10 final) even though the NVRAM usage is approx: 47681 / 65536 bytes

Not sure how to fix the "not exist" or "can't delete" messages or even if they're important
They're just notification messages. Asus is just hiding them by filtering them from the display when accessing the System Log page, so if you are sending logs to a remote syslog server, these will be visible again.

I have an AC68U and i use DHCP reservations and a few Wi-Fi MAC filters. Been fine for years but now 386-9 gave memory warnings. I ran the script to clear some space in nvram and had to remove around 8 IP resevations before I could get things back to normal. Now I worry about 386-10??

I really don't wish to have to bin any more reservations, bad enough as it is. So what to do?

I've read YazDHCP thread but I'm not sure I fully understand all of the implications. One thing I'm concerned about is that I may not always be here so I don't want a system that is broken by a simple power cut and I think YazDHCP is.

I've considered not upgrading any further but then security may be an issue.

Lastly, get a better router with more memory. Could anyone advise on this please, I like my asus router. I just need an AC68U with more ram for reservations and mac filtering. I also have a datastick plugged into the router that has a samba share on it. This I use to transfer mac filter files and DHCP reservations to the router. I do use a guest wi-fi account but that's it, no Vlan or anything like that. What router would the wise on here recommend?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Bob.

I have an AC68U and i use DHCP reservations and a few Wi-Fi MAC filters. Been fine for years but now 386-9 gave memory warnings. I ran the script to clear some space in nvram and had to remove around 8 IP resevations before I could get things back to normal. Now I worry about 386-10??
Why did you have to remove IP reservations? Just use YazDHCP if you are not already which should help, a little bit, by moving the IP reservations to a separate file.
YazDHCP - feature expansion of DHCP assignments (increasing limit on the number of DHCP reservations)

See the other posts on the various scripts (for example: here and here) one can run to try and deal with the NVRAM issues the RT-AC68U is experiencing. No issues with 386.10 on a RT-AC68U with NVRAM sitting around 47681 / 65536 bytes after running previously mentioned scripts and using YazDHCP. One may have to re-run those scripts after each router reboot however. Something to remember.

Rather than clutter up this firmware discussion on what router would be better to use. Use the site search feature to search for the many recent discussions on "what router should I buy". Lots of other threads discussing such a question. Or start a new separate thread for such a discussion.

Okay but could you just answer this... my router AC68u is being slowly killed by the recent updates. Is the firmware in my router 386.9 likely to be safe from external attack? If so my best plan is to do nothing. YazDHCP is wonderful but is vulnerable to even a power cut. My wife could not sort that out and I'm not going to live for ever, I think that rules it out for us.
thanks.

Dirty upgrade on GT-AC2900. I recently purchased this as I used to have 3 RT68Us with one being the main wifi router and 2 being aimesh. But the NVRAM issue caused me to upgrade the main router and now all my AC68Us are running as AIMesh Nodes, all running 386.10 flawlessly.

This is unusual. Issues like yours may happen when the router has not enough free RAM. Do you have USB drive attached to this router by chance?
Sorry for the late reply. Nope, no USB on any of the router or nodes. As for RAM use, recently I've noticed something strange that I'm looking into. Seems one of my chrome TV is taking up quite a bit of the WiFi traffic. I'm looking for a balanced method for this.

YazDHCP is wonderful but is vulnerable to even a power cut. My wife could not sort that out and I'm not going to live for ever, I think that rules it out for us.
Absolutely no idea what you are talking about. YazDHCP, which integrates itself into the router GUI coding, comes back online when the router powers back up from a power loss. There is nothing to sort out provided the router itself is functioning properly. In any event options were offered to deal with low NVRAM on the RT-AC68U. One can choose to use them or not. The 386.10 is running fine for some of us on the RT-AC68U.

Dirty upgrade from 389.6 to 389.10
Uptime: 3+ days
Everything as per normal.

Absolutely no idea what you are talking about. YazDHCP, which integrates itself into the router GUI coding, comes back online when the router powers back up from a power loss. There is nothing to sort out provided the router itself is functioning properly. In any event options were offered to deal with low NVRAM on the RT-AC68U. One can choose to use them or not. The 386.10 is running fine for some of us on the RT-AC68U.
Sorry, I've gone back and read the YazDHCP thread again. It's ok for on/off it was a reset that breaks it. I'll give it some more thought.

My wife could not sort that out and I'm not going to live for ever, I think that rules it out for us.

Your wife has the same issue with 3rd party firmware on your router. You don't really need many DHCP reservations nor MAC filters. Load stock Asuswrt and keep it simple. It's secure enough and runs well in simple configuration with no issues. If your AC68U is good for your needs - no need to replace.

is the nvram problem only for RT-AC68U? I dirty upgraded my RT-AC86U. the nvram was around 50% used for the first few days. now i see it's at 92%. i rebooted and it's back to 50%. should i do a hard reset?

is the nvram problem only for RT-AC68U?
Generally yes. The reason for the problems with the RT-AC68U is its NVRAM size is 64K. Other routers like the RT-AC86U use a larger NVRAM size (128K, if I remember right).

is the nvram problem only for RT-AC68U? I dirty upgraded my RT-AC86U. the nvram was around 50% used for the first few days. now i see it's at 92%. i rebooted and it's back to 50%. should i do a hard reset?
No reset, mine has been around 90% for months, with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!