What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded my AX88u to AsusWRT-Merlin 386.3_2 and using the DNSFILTER for the first time.
Not sure if I verify the working of DNSFILTER correctly by using the BING9 commands "dig", but the result is not what I am expecting.

The WAN DNS config:
R_wandns.JPG

The DNSFILTER config:
R_DNSFILTER.JPG

Using the "dig" command I expect the same server feedback, the routers IP address 192.168.50.1:

dig a-ads.com​
; <<>> DiG 9.16.19 <<>> a-ads.com​
;; global options: +cmd​
;; Got answer:​
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 7383​
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1​
;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:​
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1280​
;; QUESTION SECTION:​
;a-ads.com. IN A​
;; ANSWER SECTION:​
a-ads.com. 0 IN A 0.0.0.0​
;; Query time: 1 msec​
;; SERVER: 192.168.50.1#53(192.168.50.1)
;; WHEN: Sun Aug 08 23:14:24 W. Europe Daylight Time 2021​
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 54​
dig @8.8.8.8 a-ads.com​
; <<>> DiG 9.16.19 <<>> @8.8.8.8 a-ads.com​
; (1 server found)​
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 32230​
;a-ads.com. IN A​
;; Query time: 2 msec​
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sun Aug 08 23:14:31 W. Europe Daylight Time 2021​

Is my expectation wrong or does the DNSFILTER not work correctly in this case?

All ok 386.3_2 dirty install. Thanks.

Tools -> Other Settings.

I don't know if Comcast finally fixed their broken network, that workaround was implemented years ago to resolve their network spamming users with neighbour solicitation broadcasts, generating multiple megabytes of daily traffic.

I have Comcast, how would I know or test if this is happening and whether or not I would need to set this switch on?

Are there any negatives to just switching it on?

I upgraded my AX88u to AsusWRT-Merlin 386.3_2 and using the DNSFILTER for the first time.
Not sure if I verify the working of DNSFILTER correctly by using the BING9 commands "dig", but the result is not what I am expecting.

The WAN DNS config:
View attachment 35570

The DNSFILTER config:
View attachment 35571

Using the "dig" command I expect the same server feedback, the routers IP address 192.168.50.1:

dig a-ads.com​
; <<>> DiG 9.16.19 <<>> a-ads.com​
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 7383​
;a-ads.com. IN A​
;; Query time: 1 msec​
;; SERVER: 192.168.50.1#53(192.168.50.1)
;; WHEN: Sun Aug 08 23:14:24 W. Europe Daylight Time 2021​
dig @8.8.8.8 a-ads.com​
; <<>> DiG 9.16.19 <<>> @8.8.8.8 a-ads.com​
; (1 server found)​
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 32230​
;a-ads.com. IN A​
;; Query time: 2 msec​
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sun Aug 08 23:14:31 W. Europe Daylight Time 2021​

Is my expectation wrong or does the DNSFILTER not work correctly in this case?
@Tvbaas

Try testing your DNS here: http://www.whatsmydnsserver.com/

Last edited:
Tools -> Other Settings.

I don't know if Comcast finally fixed their broken network, that workaround was implemented years ago to resolve their network spamming users with neighbour solicitation broadcasts, generating multiple megabytes of daily traffic.
I went to test this since I’m on Comcast with IPv6, but the rule never shows up in the ip6tables mangle table. First, the Other Settings page doesn’t trigger a restart_firewall when enabling/disabling. After a manual firewall restart, the rule wasn’t there. nvram is set properly, but the mangle table must be getting flushed elsewhere.

I added the rule manually and have only seen 4 hits so far, but increasing.

EDIT: It looks like having DNS Filter enabled overwrites the rule because of the ip6tables-restore for /tmp/mangle_rules_ipv6.dnsfilter. If I disable DNS Filter, the Comcast rule shows up on its own.

Last edited:
Hir RMerlin,

I disabled ad blockers, clear the cache, refreshed the browser and see a bunch of QR Code related errors in Javascript Console on Edge.

Please take a look at the attached pic and let me know how to fix it.
How long are your SSID and WPA keys?

@Jugnu @RMerlin Hello, same problem here, the boxes are empty and I don't even have a QRCODE.
Thanks for solving the problem and for your help.

(AX88U with 386.3_2 firmware)
View attachment 35566
Different issue, your webui fails to fully load. Try switching to English, Asus occasionally breaks other languages by not properly escaping quotes.

I have Comcast, how would I know or test if this is happening and whether or not I would need to set this switch on?
It's been too long, I don't remember. You should be able to find information on how to test it by doing a search either on SNBForums or Comcast's other support forums

EDIT: It looks like having DNS Filter enabled overwrites the rule because of the ip6tables-restore for /tmp/mangle_rules_ipv6.dnsfilter. If I disable DNS Filter, the Comcast rule shows up on its own.
If that's the case, then it's been broken for years, and nobody noticed. It's possible that Comcast might have finally fixed their network. If that's the case, I will simply remove that code rather than spend time debugging it.

Dirty upgrade from 386.3 to 386.3_2 smoothly on RT-AC88U

Successfully upgraded my AC86u from 386.3_0 to 386.3_2 in 2 attempts (first attempt after ejecting USB drive immediately failed, second attempt afterwards succeeded).

@RMerlin Thank you for your answer.
I just changed the language to English but same problem.
A complete reset of the AX88U router, cleaning the browser cache, testing on Firefox, Edge... and disabling the ad blocker do not solve this problem.
The boxes are still empty and no link to generate the QRCODE. I only encounter this problem. Everything else works perfectly.
It would be great if you could find a solution.

ppp.png

Last edited:
The boxes are still empty and no link to generate the QRCODE. I only encounter this problem. Everything else works perfectly.
It would be great if you could find a solution.
Same empty boxes and no links to QR codes on my AC86u.

Both in Safari and Firefox (on macOS).

Can't (= don't want to) reboot my router before sunset, since my solar panel inverter won't get back online in case of a reboot...

RMerlin
RE: Comcast toggle
Your implementation worked great, yet over two years ago, I stopped using the comcast toggle and have seen zero issues, other than isp periodic outages and high cost.

Last edited:
Same empty boxes and no links to QR codes on my AC86u.

Both in Safari and Firefox (on macOS).

Can't (= don't want to) reboot my router before sunset, since my solar panel inverter won't get back online in case of a reboot...
Thank you for your comments.
So I am not the only one to have this problem.
For your information, rebooting your router or even doing a hard reset will not solve the problem.
I hope a solution will be found in a future update.

Open your browser console and look for Javascript errors.

@RMerlin thank you for your answer.
Here is the result on Edge :

edge.png

Now the result on Firefox :

ddd.png

Last edited:
Installed new firmware, did a reset and re config.
No temp changes here on the AC86U @61 C. Working good so far.
Thank you.

I'm not sure if this should be posted in it's own thread - or if it's something that only Asus can do something about, but here goes this minor bug.

At the AiMesh page under a node's Management you can set "LED" to off - and that works.

I have enabled the reboot scheduler and after the nodes and the main router have been restarted, then the nodes' LED are on (when I look at them).
The settings in the Management within AiMesh LED is still set to Off.
AC86U
Was the same for 386.2.*

@RMerlin
In your changelog of your most recent 386.3_2 build you say "- FIXED: DNSFilter client rules may get corrupted after a reboot."

I have performed this upgrade and am unsure how to tell if this info was corrupted or not after the upgrade. Instead of spending time trying to figure it out (and maybe doing it incorrectly), I thought the easiest "insurance" would be to spend the same time (or less) as follows... To be safe, I was just going to upload the settings that I saved immediately prior to this last upgrade. If I do so, would that help insure that IF my info was corrupted during upgrade, it will be restored to uncorrupted condition? If not, how do I confirm that my info was NOT corrupted during the last upgrade?

Thanks!

I have performed a dirty upgrade from 386.3 after having unmounted my USB devices. Everything working fine.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!