What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Load average seems high, although I do not see a high load at the home screen. Temps seems ok too, so maybe a wrong read out?

Edit:
I just figured out, the load average should be divided by 100 to follow the normal Linux standard, where 1.00 means fully loaded.
So 3.00 is actually 3%, which is normal.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.png
    Unbenannt.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Unbenannt2.png
    Unbenannt2.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Unbenannt3.png
    Unbenannt3.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Code:
Jan  3 06:37:06 lldpd[1667]: removal request for address of fe50::e6d:91ff:fb02:e98c%38, but no knowledge of it
Jan  3 06:37:10 lldpd[1667]: removal request for address of fe50::e6d:91ff:fb02:e98c%39, but no knowledge of it
wired adresses wich are normaly look like this:
Code:
8b:f2:76:gh:12:fa

log of 1 day attached all fine :)

Load average seems high, although I do not see a high load at the home screen. Temps seems ok too, so maybe a wrong read out?

I don't have load/temp issues on my test AC86U, but I'm getting similar 5GHz Wi-Fi disconnections like in beta 2 here. I left wirelessly connected laptop playing Amazon TV show for few hours and it re-connected like 5-6 times. This router was running Asuswrt 45956 for my IPv6 tests and Wi-Fi was stable to the same client. I don't know if firmware Wi-Fi drivers are different in Asuswrt.

Anyone else with AC86U and 5GHz Wi-Fi intermittent issues? Could be the client's Realtek RTL8822CE specific, not sure.

@RMerlin are you aware of any interaction with dnsmasq/openvpn and service-event-end , even when the latter is an empty file (by emptying I mean a shebang and nothing else)?
No.

How are the remote router and your computer connected to the internet? My experience at this point is that the ability to remote update is very dependent on the client computer internet connection. The remote AX68U I mentioned recently is in Thailand, and when attempting to apply remote updates via OVPN from my computer in Thailand, I had hit-and-miss success depending on internet connection quality. Surprisingly, I have zero issues applying a remote update to the AX68U via OVPN using a computer in the USA. It may help if the computer applying the update is wired to the internet rather than connecting via wifi. It may also help to reboot the remote router just prior to applying the update.
Thanks. I am going to try a computer directly connected to the router and also disable the OVPN server (and reboot after disable/before attempting to flash.

You may want to check WAN / Dual WAN (or the other location if not dual WAN - “Network monitoring” and make sure it’s not on Ping Query and is on DNS query. That resolved my issue.
Will definately have a look at this, next time I can boot them all off the network without complaints. It is indeed on ping query right now.

My vanilla setup with a slice of Pi has been working flawless throughout alpha/beta stages. I did a full router reset with the fw release just because it keeps the gremlins away.
Happy And Safe New Year To All!

A bug with 386.4 that I was able to repeat now on two different routers (AX88U and AC86U) and I am holding a 3rd one that is more important (also AX88U) a few days just to be certain nothing bigger than that shows up.

The confirmed problem is with users in the OpenVPN server(s) - after the update on some configurations new users can not be properly added (they show in the list after you press the + button but do not work and once you press Apply it goes away from the list and obviously do not work). Also it seems that some (but NOT all) users in the old list have the password as if those were changed (or the key/salt used to store them has changed?) - that was how the issue presented itself in the first place (on the AX88U one non-admin user was still working perfectly but 2 other were no longer working).

The simplest workaround was to delete one by one ALL users (until only the renamed admin remains, the one that can't be deleted), Apply that and then new users can be added (including the old users that were present before).

Updated RT-AX88U to 386.4_0 everything works but on VPN page I am not seeing wireguard tab.
What I am missing ?

Updated RT-AX88U to 386.4_0 everything works but on VPN page I am not seeing wireguard tab.
What I am missing ?

Did you read the change log in the first post? The kernel module and the users space tools are included, but that is it. No GUI.

A bug with 386.4 that I was able to repeat now on two different routers (AX88U and AC86U) and I am holding a 3rd one that is more important (also AX88U) a few days just to be certain nothing bigger than that shows up.

The confirmed problem is with users in the OpenVPN server(s) - after the update on some configurations new users can not be properly added (they show in the list after you press the + button but do not work and once you press Apply it goes away from the list and obviously do not work). Also it seems that some (but NOT all) users in the old list have the password as if those were changed (or the key/salt used to store them has changed?) - that was how the issue presented itself in the first place (on the AX88U one non-admin user was still working perfectly but 2 other were no longer working).

The simplest workaround was to delete one by one ALL users (until only the renamed admin remains, the one that can't be deleted), Apply that and then new users can be added (including the old users that were present before).
I think this is meant to be fixed now. It's possible that you already had some lingering corruption prior to the update.

What I am missing ?

> "HND firmware now include both the kernel module and userspace tool for Wireguard. There is no built-in support for Wireguard at this time, these are only included for end-user or third party usage. Asus is still working on their own implementation, which isn't available yet."

You might be able to see (after ssh) if the kernel module loads properly and then you might be able to do something like
wg show

I think this is meant to be fixed now. It's possible that you already had some lingering corruption prior to the update.

Possible but weird, since on the AC86U that problem DID show on an earlier update, but at that point it was enough to erase last user and then it worked. On the first AX88U nothing like that was visible before and on the other non-updated AX88U I have like 20 OpenVPN users so I will need to do it when time will not be an issue.

> "HND firmware now include both the kernel module and userspace tool for Wireguard. There is no built-in support for Wireguard at this time, these are only included for end-user or third party usage. Asus is still working on their own implementation, which isn't available yet."

You might be able to see (after ssh) if the kernel module loads properly and then you might be able to do something like
wg show

Thank you for clarification.

I am using this fork only so don't know but I have seen this https://itigic.com/we-tested-wireguard-vpn-on-asus/ and others talking about wireguard, may be I am mistaken.

That is a very interesting review and the speed is very impressive (definitely better than what I am getting on OpenVPN on AX88U or with an older external-compiled wireguard module), but that router (ASUS ZenWiFi XT8) is rather very modern with 4 core * 1.5 GHz or so, even the AXE11000 right now only has 4 * 1.8GHz or so (and not having at least 2 * 10G BaseT and Merlin support is an immediate killer for me), so even with the latest CPU the speed will not be above 500 Mbps. But I hope I will be proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!