What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty upgrade, 386.5_2 to 386.7_beta1 on AX86U (x 2) and on AC5300 - see signature for details and add-ons ... all of which are fully functional.
Just echoing @octopus wish for the "kernel: CONSOLE:" log entries to stop spamming log when the final firmware version is released.

I have SO enjoyed the much cleaner logs on firmware 386.5_2 :D. - MANY thanks @RMerlin .
I can live with the CONSOLE log entries, but the router’s LED’s switching on when they appear is disconcerting.:eek: (I have LED’s turned off using the switch on the front of the router).

Beta flashed 6+ hours ago, no CONSOLE entries seen, yet…….

Was something seen a couple of times a day with the Alpha firmware though.
Awaiting developments.o_O

Is anyone having an issue with adding an AiMesh Node? I had one of my ac68u nodes go offline after updating all my routers to this firmware. After trying numerous reboots etc, I decided to factory wipe it and try to re-add it. However, after I click on the discovered router, the process quickly moves to 100% and is unable to add my AiMesh node.

This dual ac68u AiMesh nodes and ac3100 setup has been working for years. I will try to downgrade next but wanted to see what others have experienced.

Update: reverting to stock firmware on both main and node routers allowed me to add the node to the AiMesh network. I then went back and updated both firmwares back to this beta and everything is working again. Hopefully neither node goes offline permanently again. Hopefully Asus can fix this in their next release.

Last edited:
I can't update mine RT-AC86U.
I upload the firmware, the " Please wait, Applying Settings..." shows. Then it stays forever. I have to manually refresh the page after a couple of minutes to go to the login page. The router reboots, the old firmware keeps present, no update done.

The problem is that the log is reseted, so I can't read anything about what's happening.

Is there any way that I can force flash the firmware via SSH?

I tried withouth the USB stick, and with it. Same symptoms.
Thanks in advance.

Up 7.5 hrs now without issues, after dirty upgrade to 7beta1 from 7alpha1 on RT-AX3000 (RT-AX58U firmware).

Same as in recent stock firmware, it is not possible to ad a local ipv6 DNS of my AdGuard Home server. Only external DNS like quad9 or Cloudflare.

i think it is a bug because, ipv4 DNS server of my Adguard Home server is working just fine.

my Router is a AX88U

1.jpg

Dirty upgrade 386.5_2 to 386.7_beta1 on AX86U and got the JFFS low warning and lost all the files.
Tried to downgrade to 386.5_2 again to see if I will get back the JFFS and router is not booting now.

Does anyone have the link for the fimrware restoration utility as seems ASUS pulled it from the AX86 support page ?

Dirty upgrade 386.5_2 to 386.7_beta1 on AX86U and got the JFFS low warning and lost all the files.
Tried to downgrade to 386.5_2 again to see if I will get back the JFFS and router is not booting now.

Does anyone have the link for the fimrware restoration utility as seems ASUS pulled it from the AX86 support page ?

You should be able to use the one from AX88U, AX58U aka AX3000, AX68U.
But you are correct it seems they took it down???

Use the "see all downloads" in blue to expand the screen, select Windows 11 64bit

Try this version 2.1.0.3: https://rog.asus.com/networking/rog-rapture-gt-ax11000-model/helpdesk_download

Last edited:
All AX58U and AC68U Mesh units working good.

I have dirty flashed the Beta for the AC5300 but the firmware is marked as 386.7_alpha1-g07be500548 on top site of the router pages
Further it runs smoothly.

I have dirty flashed the Beta for the AC5300 but the firmware is marked as 386.7_alpha1-g07be500548 on top site of the router pages
Further it runs smoothly.

You flashed the wrong one, go to the Mirror page, Release folder then Beta Folder. It's properly labeled.

Last edited:
I hope logs "kernel: CONSOLE:" can be removed, it's really spaming log.
I think it's generated by the GPL for AX86U and out of @RMerlin's control, so we have to live with it in this release.

I upload the firmware, the " Please wait, Applying Settings..." shows. Then it stays forever. I have to manually refresh the page after a couple of minutes to go to the login page. The router reboots, the old firmware keeps present, no update done.

The problem is that the log is reseted, so I can't read anything about what's happening.

Thanks in advance.
LOL, that particular model the RT-AC86U is such a PITA with the updates NOT initiating properly...
I went to the following method & haven't had a problem since.
You need to change the variables in the top section, save the script & make it executable... of course.
It ALMOST makes it idiot-proof.

#!/bin/bash

DATA_DIRECTORY="/home/pi/Downloads"
USERNAME="admin"
ROUTER_IP="12.34.56.78"

clear
cd $DATA_DIRECTORY
echo "sha256sum -c sha256sum.sha256"
sha256sum -c sha256sum.sha256
WORKDIR=$(pwd)
echo "Please Note: the working directory = $WORKDIR"
FIRMWARE=$(ls -t RT-AC86U_*.w . | head -n 1)
echo "And the FIRMWARE to be flashed, will be... "
echo "$FIRMWARE"
echo "( Before proceeding )"
echo "FIRST verify the FIRMWARE-version is CORRECT "
echo "Then..."
echo "CUT, PASTE, & ENTER each of the following command lines: "
echo "( One-line, after the other )"
echo "----------------------------------------------------------"
echo "cd $WORKDIR"
echo "scp $FIRMWARE $USERNAME@$ROUTER_IP:/tmp"
echo "ssh $USERNAME@$ROUTER_IP"
echo "cd /tmp"
echo "/sbin/hnd-write $FIRMWARE"
echo "reboot now"
echo "----------------------------------------------------------"

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.
Dirty upgrade from alpha (GT-6000) and 365.2 (AC88), and no network issues observed. Thank You RMerlin!
@maghuro I also experienced a longer than usual amount of time during the "please wait applying settings" stage, yet it eventually changed to the loading bar, which also took longer than usual to load/apply. My concerns were unfounded, and as stated above, "no network issues observed".

You should be able to use the one from AX88U, AX58U aka AX3000, AX68U.
But you are correct it seems they took it down???

Use the "see all downloads" in blue to expand the screen, select Windows 11 64bit

Try this version 2.1.0.3: https://rog.asus.com/networking/rog-rapture-gt-ax11000-model/helpdesk_download

Yes managed to download it at the end. Thanks.

However although the router was in rescue mode (reply to ping 192.168.1.1 with 100ms) the rescue utility was saying that the router is not in rescue mode and couldn't flash the stock firmware. Tried many times and 2 different PCs with no luck.

What did it for me was using the TFPD client and uploading the latest ASUS original firmware.

Yes managed to download it at the end. Thanks.

However although the router was in rescue mode (reply to ping 192.168.1.1 with 100ms) the rescue utility was saying that the router is not in rescue mode and couldn't flash the stock firmware. Tried many times and 2 different PCs with no luck.

What did it for me was using the TFPD client and uploading the latest ASUS original firmware.

Glad you got it done. I've had to go to stock ( even old stock, way back ) first, in the past to get it running straight first.

Sometimes you have to clear the Browser Cache first for things to take. Ctrl-F5 or whatever your browser requires.

EDIT: I think anyone encountering the JFFS problem ( AX86 users and maybe others) should be making backups in advance of the router settings and JFFS partition.

Then if they have the JFFS issue, use the GUI to wipe and restore only the JFFS area.

Trying to flash back to a previous firmware is a gamble and may increase ones hardships.

Last edited:
Dirty upgrade of the RT-AX88U APs from the Alpha. So far, so good.

My RT-AX86U AP is currently offline due to renovations. Heh heh.

RT-AX86U Router still on stable release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!