What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed that I am not able to select 5GHz channels below 100 on this firmware. Suggestions??

1656790785306.png

Just noticed that I am not able to select 5GHz channels below 100 on this firmware. Suggestions??

View attachment 42399

I'd suggest a full factory reset to defaults using the router's WPS button...and manually re-entering your settings. Something's gone wrong here, and a clean start looks to be in order *smile*.

It would be nice to know which router you have, and what you've done so far to troubleshoot, but a reset may well just fix this.

RT-AX86U up and running nicely all day. Speeds normal. Thank you again for your efforts! Connected to a BGW320-500 AT&T fiber set to passthrough mode. Not really sure why the disconnection thing is there in yellow in the screen cap. Working fine.
speedtest.png

Model: RT-AX86U
No AiMesh in place.

In AiMesh page go to "Management", switch off "LED", wait for it to disable all the LEDs on the device and then switch it on again.
I have my PC connected to LAN port 1, but the corresponding LED will not be re-enabled after I set LED switch to on again.
Rebooting the router recovers the correct behavior.

Not tested in previous versions.

In 99% of these cases, they have no negative consequences to report

I have negative consequences to report and I did it many times. The swap on USB is mostly useless. It only allows some scripts to update the block lists. The main services rarely use any swap and the router can still be pushed to out of memory condition, causing it to crash. HND models with 512MB RAM are easier to crash, 1GB models hold longer, older ARMv7 platform surprisingly holds the best on torture. Did I say AC68U is the golden standard? :)

Only roll back if a required functionality is broken by an update

What I found "broken" in 386.7 firmware on AX86U:
- unstable Wi-Fi, works better on higher channels for some reason
- UPnP doesn't work in double NAT
- LED lights on/off doesn't work properly, LAN LEDs don't come up
- syslog is crazy, very hard to find what's important

Nothing above is important to me because the router is used as test platform only, but I see at least two good reasons for someone to roll back. All of the above works properly in 386.5_2 firmware. I know some of the things are Asuswrt base related, but still.

I'd suggest a full factory reset to defaults using the router's WPS button...and manually re-entering your settings. Something's gone wrong here, and a clean start looks to be in order *smile*.

It would be nice to know which router you have, and what you've done so far to troubleshoot, but a reset may well just fix this.
I have the RT-AX86U. You are probably correct. I full factory reset may fix it, but I didn't want to spend the time to manually re-enter all of my settings, reinstalling addons, scripts, etc. So, I did a reboot and it did not fix it :(. Then, I rolled the firmware back to 386.5_2 and it fixed it :). I may try to upgrade to 386.7 at a later time, but for now, 386.5_2 is performing well.

1656802703606.png

Attachments

• 1656802634116.png
    1656802634116.png
    28 KB · Views: 67
With a ton of posts across multiple router models complaining of WiFi and other issues with 386.7, and especially in light of the resolution of these problems with a rollback to 386.5_2, the new GPL(s) would seem to be the problem. Does that seem a reasonable take?

I don't know what GPL Asuswrt 49447 is based on. Some things work in latest Asuswrt, but not in latest Asuswrt-Merlin.
When users talk about the problems they're experiencing, which seem overwhelmingly to be wireless and aimesh issues, and since both these are closed source components that Asuswrt-Merlin firmware does not touch, I wonder.

This is what my experience is - for wireless performance the same GPL releases Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin have the same performance, good or bad. AiMesh is different - wireless node discovery has issues in Asuswrt-Merlin, but works in Asuswrt. Changes in Asuswrt-Merlin affect closed source AiMesh.

I have a RT-AX86S using AX86U firmware. This new release reverts my 160Mhz wifi connection to 80Mhz after an hour. Before the release I was able to stay on 160Mhz wifi connection indefinitely. Also having issues with read and write access to router usb storage. After reverting back to 386.5_2, it is working again.

Last edited:
With a ton of posts across multiple router models complaining of WiFi and other issues with 386.7, and especially in light of the resolution of these problems with a rollback to 386.5_2, the new GPL(s) would seem to be the problem. Does that seem a reasonable take?
I get wifi complains with every single release. I've stopped even reading them years ago, quite frankly...

When users talk about the problems they're experiencing, which seem overwhelmingly to be wireless and aimesh issues, and since both these are closed source components that Asuswrt-Merlin firmware does not touch, I wonder.
This is what my experience is - for wireless performance the same GPL releases Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin have the same performance, good or bad. AiMesh is different - wireless node discovery has issues in Asuswrt-Merlin, but works in Asuswrt. Changes in Asuswrt-Merlin affect closed source AiMesh.
FWIW I don't use AiMesh, so obviously, no problems with that (for me) with that. In this much earlier post I had already described my experiences up to that point in time, but they haven't changed. I had no issues with the Asus 3.0.0.4.386_49447 firmware, before I changed it. Since I switched that to the Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 firmware (i.e. this thread) that status has not changed one bit & that includes WiFI (on both) YMMV

@RMerlin With all the reported "issues" in general, is it safe to assume that there will be a 386.7_2 release?

@RMerlin With all the reported "issues" in general, is it safe to assume that there will be a 386.7_2 release?
What issues? So far the only thing I have confirmed and fixed on my end is the invalid PATH used by a few SSH clients. Anything related to Wifi or AiMesh is closed source and outside of my control, therefore any fix (if there is one needed) would need to come from a new GPL merge, which won't happen for 1-2 months at the earliest, and requires a full development cycle, not a simple minor revision update.

There's the DNSFilter with Router mode and an IPv6 connection that is also a confirmed issue, but it's of a limited impact, so in itself doesn't justify rushing out an update.

What issues? So far the only thing I have confirmed and fixed on my end is the invalid PATH used by a few SSH clients. Anything related to Wifi or AiMesh is closed source and outside of my control, therefore any fix (if there is one needed) would need to come from a new GPL merge, which won't happen for 1-2 months at the earliest, and requires a full development cycle, not a simple minor revision update.

That's what I thought. Thank you for the confirmation and your hard work.

@dave14305 that was interesting. No hw csum error on HND 5.04 (with kernel 4.19). Can't say if it's because of the newer SDK, or the newer kernel tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!