What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that Roaming Assistent is enabled by default now. I think this is because of the introduction of AiMesh. But wouldn't it be better for the Merlin firmware to keep it disabled in the default settings, to prevent unwanted wireless disconnects?

Yes, I thought that was already the case, but I looked at the wrong variable.

Running this on a RT-AC3200 and I noticed a small bug. I have cables plugged into LAN port 1-3, prior to using the Beta the router reported the connections properly. Since using the Beta the router now reports my cables are plugged into LAN ports 2-4. I double checked, they are most assuredly plugged into 1-3. Everything seems to run properly, just a mix up of some kind in sensing what ports are in use.

Running this on a RT-AC3200 and I noticed a small bug. I have cables plugged into LAN port 1-3, prior to using the Beta the router reported the connections properly. Since using the Beta the router now reports my cables are plugged into LAN ports 2-4. I double checked, they are most assuredly plugged into 1-3. Everything seems to run properly, just a mix up of some kind in sensing what ports are in use.

Which location, the main networkmap, or the Tools -> Sysinfo page?

Yes, I thought that was already the case, but I looked at the wrong variable.

Related to this... I notice in the Wireless/Professional settings, I'm only allowed to enter -70 to -90 dBm for the RSSI threshold. Ideally, I'd like to be able to set it at -60 (or maybe even higher) so it forces "sticky" devices to let go of the AP and connect to one that's stronger. I have two AC87's as access points and a single AC86 as my main router, giving me a pseudo "mesh" system.

I've set the roaming assistant threshold to -60 dBm using NVRAM commands in the SSH terminal, and I think that is working. It would be cool to have the option in the web GUI to set it to a higher power threshold. If it's possible, that would be awesome. Not a high priority of course, but it doesn't hurt to ask, does it? :) THANKS for your great work RMerlin!!

I tested ipsec vpn from gt-ac5300 .20287 source on my rt-ac86u and it works well but I should be disabled tor.
Strongswan need no-engine flag.. but tor doesn't.
Is cryptodev engine able to make strongswan working with merlin firmware's openssl ?

Related to this... I notice in the Wireless/Professional settings, I'm only allowed to enter -70 to -90 dBm for the RSSI threshold. Ideally, I'd like to be able to set it at -60 (or maybe even higher) so it forces "sticky" devices to let go of the AP and connect to one that's stronger. I have two AC87's as access points and a single AC86 as my main router, giving me a pseudo "mesh" system.

I've set the roaming assistant threshold to -60 dBm using NVRAM commands in the SSH terminal, and I think that is working. It would be cool to have the option in the web GUI to set it to a higher power threshold. If it's possible, that would be awesome. Not a high priority of course, but it doesn't hurt to ask, does it? :) THANKS for your great work RMerlin!!
I can't change the limits - values are hard-coded.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

I can't change the limits - values are hard-coded.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Thanks for checking! It was worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anyone using time machine support on the ac3200. When I tried an earlier alpha of 384 it failed but I hadn't tried with official (where it works) and not got around to retrying with merlin

I can capture info if helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvram set wl1_user_rssi=-70
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

nvram set wl0_user_rssi=-70
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Thanks for the help. I was just hoping to have access in the web GUI. I have it set to -60 using those commands. If I query the number or look in the GUI, my -60 is there. Not sure if it actually uses the number out of range though.

Related to this... I notice in the Wireless/Professional settings, I'm only allowed to enter -70 to -90 dBm for the RSSI threshold. Ideally, I'd like to be able to set it at -60 (or maybe even higher) so it forces "sticky" devices to let go of the AP and connect to one that's stronger.
[...]
I've set the roaming assistant threshold to -60 dBm using NVRAM commands in the SSH terminal, and I think that is working. It would be cool to have the option in the web GUI to set it to a higher power threshold. If it's possible, that would be awesome. Not a high priority of course, but it doesn't hurt to ask, does it?
Don't you have that option already? If I'm not mistaken, the limits in the webui are between -90 and -40 both in 382.2 beta3 and 384.3 beta1?

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Thanks for the help. I was just hoping to have access in the web GUI. I have it set to -60 using those commands. If I query the number or look in the GUI, my -60 is there. Not sure if it actually uses the number out of range though.
Don't you have that option already? If I'm not mistaken, the limits in the webui are between -90 and -40 both in 382.2 beta3 and 384.3 beta1?
I am on ac68, I set it at -67 successfully
Could there be a possibility due to lack of nvram?

upload_2018-2-7_17-26-24.png

Running an AC86U, latest beta, is it normal to only have 30mb of ram free?

it is running flawlessly other then making me curious about the ram.

I stand corrected! You are right, at least for the 382.2 beta 3 that I'm on with my AC86. It's really on the two AC87's that I'm using for access points that I really want to modify the value. Those are running the latest possible 380.69_2 "RMerlinware". :) I had assumed this would be the case for all versions, which I obviously hadn't tried yet. So maybe there is hope once a 382 or 384 based firmware comes out for the AC87!

EDIT - Sorry by the way, this ends up not even being a 384.3 beta subject, so I probably shouldn't have posted in this thread.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 6.10.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 6.10.04 PM.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 624
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 6.11.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 6.11.15 PM.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 371
It's been working perfectly on my AC3200 since the first pre-release. All the alphas and this beta work perfectly for me.
Thanks , guess I'll give it a try . Not taking the risks I used to with FW these days , though Merlin FW has never done any damage on any router i've had

Any Astrill users running 384.3 Beta with the Router applet yet? (apart from me, of course)

I did a factory reset after updating to 384.3 Beta and reinstalled the Astrill Router applet - v2.9.9.9

It connects, but kills the internet on both Wifi interfaces - even though, I have it configured to only route traffic on the 5GHz interface via VPN.

Obviously reporting this to Astrill at the moment, beta status, is not going to achieve anything.

The issue here is DNS related.

You can't resolve a domain name, but you can ping and traceroute an IP address. Of course, this traffic goes to the local interface and is not routed over VPN.

Another issue with the Astrill applet and 384.3 beta1

The applet seems to be using some old style sheet or javascript (i’m not a developer) that is incompatible with the new Asus / Merlin UI.

If you use a browser to view the router’s UI, all of the tabs to the left work perfectly.

Now select Astrill VPN which loads the Router applet and try those tabs again.....

404 File not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!