1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Bridging and routers

Discussion in 'Other LAN and WAN' started by pigcanswim, Nov 22, 2019.

1. pigcanswim

pigcanswim New Around Here

I have a ISP combo set to bridge mode connected to a Asus 88U and I am able to access my ISP combo set anytime.

Problem is I'm losing things offered by my ISP using the 88U, namely my IPTV, which my ISP is providing using multicast and VLAN and the 88u has this feature(multicast) removed.

If I want to add another router that supports the multicast feature, is it possible for me to continue my bridge mode on my ISP combo and not break my current setup?

ISP @ 192.168.1.x > Router 1 LAN1 @ 192.168.50.x > Internet Network (current)
    --------------------- > Router 2 LAN2 (router mode?) > IPTV (planned)

This is what I plan but I am not sure if this is correct as I am new to routers/modem/switch/networking. And hope any expert can help me out on this.

2. AndreiV

AndreiV Very Senior Member

Are you sure the ASUS AC88U doesn't support IPTV? My old AC3200 certainly does.

Have you read the user manual, checked under LAN settings?

3. pigcanswim

pigcanswim New Around Here

I'm pretty sure it should work for other ISP but for my ISP I think I need snooping enabled(efficient multicast forwarding) which 88u doesn't support on the Lan - IPTV section.

From my understanding 86u models have this feature removed as well due to hardware limitation. And I have already tried using the default profile for my ISP but my IPTV only works for a few seconds before the transmission is lost.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There's snooping settings available on the wireless setting but that doesn't work as I'm using LAN for my IPTV

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019