What's new

Solved Bug with 2.4ghz and 5ghz split on AX86U-Pro? 5ghz network disappear [Workaround provided]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

linuxares

Occasional Visitor
Hi!

I try to split my network in one 2.4ghz network and another 5ghz network. It used to work on my old router before I upgraded to an AX86U-Pro.
The issue I have when I set 2.4ghz on WPA2/WPA3-Personal and 5ghz on WPA2/WPA3-personal. The 5ghz network disappear. It seem to reappear if I put it on WPA/WPA2-personal on the 5 ghz, it works fine.
Is it a bug or is the WPA3 not happy about being on 2 networks?

EDIT: I forgot to add info! I've tried the latest stable Merlin and tried the Beta 2 version
Firmware:3004.388.4_beta2

EDIT2: I tried switching my 2.4ghz network to WPA/WPA2-Personal and my 5ghz network to WPA2/WPA3-Personal. It also disappeared.
Everything works kind of well if I use the "Dualband Smart-Connect" with WPA2/WPA3-Personal except for my stupid Electrolux aircleaner, it refuse to see the network since it responds on both 2.4 and 5ghz.

Last edited:
It may be a bug, but there is only one good way to test/fix it.

I'll keep you updated once a new beta or stable version gets released then. So I can do the steps! Is their any "debug" info on these routers btw? Maybe it can tell for errors?

Hi!

I try to split my network in one 2.4ghz network and another 5ghz network. It used to work on my old router before I upgraded to an AX86U-Pro.
The issue I have when I set 2.4ghz on WPA2/WPA3-Personal and 5ghz on WPA2/WPA3-personal. The 5ghz network disappear. It seem to reappear if I put it on WPA/WPA2-personal on the 5 ghz, it works fine.
Is it a bug or is the WPA3 not happy about being on 2 networks?

EDIT: I forgot to add info! I've tried the latest stable Merlin and tried the Beta 2 version
Firmware:3004.388.4_beta2

EDIT2: I tried switching my 2.4ghz network to WPA/WPA2-Personal and my 5ghz network to WPA2/WPA3-Personal. It also disappeared.
Everything works kind of well if I use the "Dualband Smart-Connect" with WPA2/WPA3-Personal except for my stupid Electrolux aircleaner, it refuse to see the network since it responds on both 2.4 and 5ghz.
With the AX86U-Pro there is no good reason to use separate SSID's for the WIFI. Dual Band SmartConnect works just fine on Asus and Merlin firmwares. If you really need a separate SSID for a specific band use the Guest WIFI. I've used WPA2/WPA3-Personal on the "main" SSID which several of my older clients did not like. So, a 2.4 GHz guest WIFI with just WPA2 did the trick.

With the AX86U-Pro there is no good reason to use separate SSID's for the WIFI. Dual Band SmartConnect works just fine on Asus and Merlin firmwares. If you really need a separate SSID for a specific band use the Guest WIFI. I've used WPA2/WPA3-Personal on the "main" SSID which several of my older clients did not like. So, a 2.4 GHz guest WIFI with just WPA2 did the trick.
Oh right! I totally forgotten about guest networks. Thanks, I should totally do it for legacy devices.

EDIT: Workaround work @bbunge thank you!

Last edited: