What's new

Building Home Network, help with segmentation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NetworkNewbie2018

New Around Here
This is my first network I've created from the ground up. Cat6 wired in each room with a tech closet. The gateway is a fiber 1 Gbt service. The Netgear switches are L2+, L3. The Qnap NAS has the ability to segment the cameras and Iot devices. A handful of IoT devices require an internet connection to function.

I think there are several options to configure this network via subnet and/or vlan to keep the ip camera's off the main network but still access the video from the NAS on the network. The thermostat and irrigation controller require internet to function but should be off the main network.

I'd love feedback on how others would approach this setup. See attached Network Topology.

Attachments

• Network.pdf
    161.9 KB · Views: 422
I am a believer in letting the switches handle the VLANs. They are faster at switching than routers. You setup the L3 switches so maybe a network of 248 can share access across VLANs. This will allow sharing printers and NAS devices. I run this on my L3 switch.

I am not sure what you mean the NAS has the ability to segment devices. Maybe 2 NICs? Then I answered it above.

If the thermostat and irrigation controller needs internet access then I would figure out all the IPs or networks that they need and create ACLs on the router to lock down internet access for those devices.