What's new

Business Level Mesh Network with Ethernet Backhaul recommendation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nitro001

Regular Contributor
Hello,
I posted a thread a while ago here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/recommendations-to-upgrade-equipment.40531/#post-339770 asking about recommendations for a non-profit.

I am still working on doing this, but decided to upgrade their Wired network first. they had Cat5e ports in almost every room which were installed when the building was built and all routed into a 48 port panel in the basement which handled phone and Ethernet. I replaced the Ethernet switch there that was a little 4 port home tp-link that someone threw in there with a NETGEAR GSS116E 16 Port 1 GB switch. So all main systems are now wired. Their main router is still a Buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh router (has a WEP access point), a second Amped Wireless router (has second WEP SSID) which always failed isn't being used now since that system is wired. And the third router, the Edimax BR-6478AC V2 Router is connected via the Ethernet and provides the Public access point as well as a 4 port switch where the security cameras sit also on wired now.

What I would like to is get is some kind of setup in place that I can use a roaming SSID so systems don't have to re-connect as they move around the building, and something that allows private and a guest network where the guest network also has the option to do a click through on first connect like a hotel.

I know the Netgear ORBI Pro system is like this, but it relies on its WIFI back-haul system and I would not want to use that for remote nodes if I have the Ethernet availability there for it to use.

Another piece, optionally, i would like to move the router and cable modem into the basement where the switch and other networking is, so I would need something that is powerful enough to go through 1 floor at least.

Any suggestions?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!