What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The WAN DNS settings shouldn’t matter. But the LAN clients generating the traffic need to use the router as their DNS for the ipsets to populate. If they use PiHole directly, it doesn’t work.
Wouldnt it work if the router used pihole as upstream dns? thats how i thought it was setup. Clients were still using router. I think thats basically what you said. Ill try it again.

I have questions for the QoS gurus out there -
I've a printer/scanner and an old beige box pentium WinXP machine (with WAN privileges disabled so it will stop telling the user it is no longer supported by MS lol) connected to my router running cake - is traffic to/from these taken into account in (by?) cake, and if so, can I take them out of cake's equation somehow? or will that mess things up? The printer/scanner is an older HP OfficeJet, so it does occasionally get updated still.

I have questions for the QoS gurus out there -
I've a printer/scanner and an old beige box pentium WinXP machine (with WAN privileges disabled so it will stop telling the user it is no longer supported by MS lol) connected to my router running cake - is traffic to/from these taken into account in (by?) cake, and if so, can I take them out of cake's equation somehow? or will that mess things up? The printer/scanner is an older HP OfficeJet, so it does occasionally get updated still.

Cake only looks at traffic passing the wan interface. There is nothing for you to do.

Morris

Cake only looks at traffic passing the wan interface. There is nothing for you to do.

Morris
Thank you sir.
That's what I thought, but it's always good to confirm. Trust but verify.

Hi all,

Any issues of a speed throttle bug when using Cake, I have an issue where after a certain amount of days all my wireless devices get throttled to 10Mbps say 8-10?

Hi all,

Any issues of a speed throttle bug when using Cake, I have an issue where after a certain amount of days all my wireless devices get throttled to 10Mbps say 8-10?
This sounds like a wireless issue, probably co-channel interference. The easiest way to deal with that is to set channel to auto and/or confirm with a WiFi analyzer app on your phone or laptop.

Morris

Hello everyone! Much respect to the authors! My question is can u guide me to setting up Cake for esports gaming in First person shooters?
I felt an improvement after switching to Cake and trying my best to set it up for gaming. This is what i've got.
Thank you!
download.png

I recently installed 386.3_2, and am trying to use cake QoS. I have the option set in the QoS menu:

1638377639387.png

But when I go to the Cake tab, I see it is not running. What else do I need to do to get it going?

1638377765951.png

Update: Looks like if I manually set the bandwidth that cake starts working. I'll stay away from the Auto-Bandwidth setting for now.

2nd Update: After I posted the Update, looks like cake shut itself off. It now says it is not running, even after doing the manual setting.

Attachments

• 1638377720011.png
    1638377720011.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
I recently installed 386.3_2, and am trying to use cake QoS. I have the option set in the QoS menu:

View attachment 37592

But when I go to the Cake tab, I see it is not running. What else do I need to do to get it going?

Update: Looks like if I manually set the bandwidth that cake starts working. I'll stay away from the Auto-Bandwidth setting for now.

2nd Update: After I posted the Update, looks like cake shut itself off. It now says it is not running, even after doing the manual setting.
Check the output from the command line.
Code:
tc -s qdisc
It‘s not finding a Cake qdisc on the wan interface or ifb4(wan) interface.

Or see what’s in /www/ext/cake-qos/cake_status.js

EDIT: This all sounded familiar. You posted a similar complaint before and it was related to spdMerlin pausing Cake during its test. Could still be spdMerlin or connmon.

Last edited:
For simple effective Cake settings I recommend:
Download - Priority: besteffort, Flow: dual-dsthost, NAT: Yes, Wash: Yes, Filter: No
Upload - Priority: besteffort, Flow: dual-srchost, NAT: Yes, Wash: No, Filter: No (Yes only if your DL:UL is asymmetrical, like 10:1 etc)

On the QoS page under Manual Setting, set your Download and Upload limit to 90-95% of your max bandwidth (or possibly lower if your connection's inconsistent).

For WAN packet overhead you may have to know your modem/ISP connection type. Your "WAN Connection Type" should be shown at the top of the WAN page (mine's PPPoE).
Click the red down arrow on WAN packet overhead, then select a preset that matches your connection. If you're really unsure try the "Conservative default" setting.

Cake usually drops less than 1% of my total packets DL & UL respectively, and you can do some bufferbloat tests to see if your settings are optimal.
https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat
https://packetlosstest.com/

More info on Cake:
https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/blob/master/README.md
https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html

@ImperiousGC I'm a gamer and these settings should work for you. Only concern is getting the WAN packet overhead correct, as when I tried a diff value I noticed I had a lag spike every few minutes.
@TonyK132 You may have some conflicting settings disabling Cake, try what @dave14305 said to help diagnose the issue.

Hello everyone! Much respect to the authors! My question is can u guide me to setting up Cake for esports gaming in First person shooters?
I felt an improvement after switching to Cake and trying my best to set it up for gaming. This is what i've got.
Don't use diffserv8. There is no meaningful DSCP marking of packets, so diffserv8/4/3 is useless for download. Use besteffort on download. You may consider up to diffserv4 on upload if some of your devices self-mark packets (VOIP applications like Discord etc).

You are also better off sticking with the dual-srchost and dual-dsthost defaults. If you leave your settings on "flow" then you run the risk of a single client on your network hogging the whole WAN link if it opens a ton of connections.

You will also want to enable NAT so that the correct source and destination addresses can be determined.

TonyK132 pretty much shows the best combination of settings, obviously tune the bandwith dfor download and upload to suit your own connection.

Check the output from the command line.
Code:
tc -s qdisc
It‘s not finding a Cake qdisc on the wan interface or ifb4(wan) interface.

Or see what’s in /www/ext/cake-qos/cake_status.js

EDIT: This all sounded familiar. You posted a similar complaint before and it was related to spdMerlin pausing Cake during its test. Could still be spdMerlin or connmon.
@dave14305 Last time, I was on 384_19 with an old version of cake that could not be updated because of that Merlin version. Now I'm on the latest Merlin version, 386.3_2, with the latest cake version v 2.1.0. I posted this in case anyone else is experiencing something similar and has found a solution with the latest everything. For now, I punted, and am using Adaptive QoS. Maybe I'll come back to cake later. BTW, I am running connmon but not spdMerlin.

Here's what's currently in /www/ext/cake-qos/cake_status.js:

var cake_upload_stats={"kind":"htb","handle":"1:","root":true,"refcnt":2,"options":{"r2q":10,"default":"0","direct_packets_stat":4,"direct_qlen":1000},"bytes":8032,"packets":49,"drops":0,"overlimits":0,"requeues":0,"backlog":0,"qlen":0};
var cake_download_stats={};
var cake_statstime=1638388353;

As for the other outputs you suggested, I have no idea what I'm looking at, so I have no way to interpret.

@alchemy As for a possible conflicting configuration, sure, maybe, but I just installed the scripts without any special configs, so they are at their defaults.

What's the story on the update (today?) to v2.1.1 ?

stumbled upon...checked Cake's GUI, had a "why not?" moment and hit the "check for update" button and thar she blew (??? that's about as nautical as I get lol)
Thank you

All good dude! Enjoy the Cake :)

Is this correct, its showing higher bandwidth values then I have set? Didnt notice if last cake version did the same

Attachments

• cake.jpg
    cake.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 220
Is this correct, its showing higher bandwidth values then I have set? Didnt notice if last cake version did the same
The 25.50 you enter in the QoS page Is stored as 26112. This is what CAKE is told to use (26112 Kbit). The status table takes that 26112 from the tc -s output and divides by the proper 1000 to get megabits. It’s a nerd controversy on how Asus used 1024 instead of 1000.

That’s why I used to set my bw values directly in nvram so I knew what I was getting.

The 25.50 you enter in the QoS page Is stored as 26112. This is what CAKE is told to use (26112 Kbit). The status table takes that 26112 from the tc -s output and divides by the proper 1000 to get megabits. It’s a nerd controversy on how Asus used 1024 instead of 1000.

That’s why I used to set my bw values directly in nvram so I knew what I was getting.
I was just looking at that, so made my settings in the gui lower to get the value I actually want. I assume its always been this way, and I just noticed.