What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was just looking at that, so made my settings in the gui lower to get the value I actually want. I assume its always been this way, and I just noticed.
No, it used to match until the latest change by our newest contributor. Don’t know his forum name, though. Might be KMO?

We don’t actually modify or even read the bandwidth values, so I’m guessing this was on you. ;)
Hi, David, thank you for cakeqos , I think creating the IP rule in the cake is a problem, because for example I put game for the ip of my device in the tin game, but it just works to upload me, then it mixes for minutes and I lose the packets.

Attachments

• 13626D9F-FBCB-4EAF-B275-BE3E67F83C2F.png
    13626D9F-FBCB-4EAF-B275-BE3E67F83C2F.png
    278.9 KB · Views: 442
Hi, David, thank you for cakeqos , I think creating the IP rule in the cake is a problem, because for example I put game for the ip of my device in the tin game, but it just works to upload me, then it mixes for minutes and I lose the packets.
The iptables rules are only designed to work on upload traffic. Download traffic has already passed through CAKE before iptables can be applied.

I don’t understand what you mean by “it mixes for minutes and I lose the packets.”

The iptables rules are only designed to work on upload traffic. Download traffic has already passed through CAKE before iptables can be applied.

I don’t understand what you mean by “it mixes for minutes and I lose the packets.”
I didn't understand what prioritization was in downloading and I thought it would be disrupted, rest assured that the most important priority for me is to play and it's important in uploading.You're the best and then the cake is the best

Attachments

• 896FBF37-BA97-49A8-822E-9FCD12D467ED.png
    896FBF37-BA97-49A8-822E-9FCD12D467ED.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 366
  • CC32C95B-E10A-4798-9AAD-B84C3498C4E3.png
    CC32C95B-E10A-4798-9AAD-B84C3498C4E3.png
    223.5 KB · Views: 399
  • DD774D10-1D44-4557-BFA3-0E682484E730.png
    DD774D10-1D44-4557-BFA3-0E682484E730.png
    256.8 KB · Views: 403
I just installed and tried CakeQoS for the first time.
It seems that Cake is resetting the download and upload stats after some time? Is that normal behaviour?
Edit: Something is not right...
Now, everytime I click on the "AdaptiveQoS" button, Cake is restarting:
Code:
Feb 21 01:09:18 kernel: Init chrdev /dev/idp with major 190
Feb 21 01:09:18 kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_max = 8000
Feb 21 01:09:18 kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_timeout = 300 sec
Feb 21 01:09:19 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.2 90120f9
Feb 21 01:09:19 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.20
Feb 21 01:09:19 kernel: Init chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Feb 21 01:09:20 kernel: IDPfw: flush fc
Feb 21 01:09:20 kernel: IDPfw: IDPfw is ready
Feb 21 01:09:20 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 280
Feb 21 01:09:20 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Feb 21 01:09:29 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Feb 21 01:09:29 kernel: mod epilog takes 0 jiffies
Feb 21 01:09:29 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Feb 21 01:09:29 kernel: Exit chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Feb 21 01:09:29 kernel: Exit chrdev /dev/idp with major 190
Feb 21 01:09:29 custom_config: Appending content of /jffs/configs/cake-qos.conf.add.
Feb 21 01:09:30 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/nat-start
Feb 21 01:09:30 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: ppp0)
Feb 21 01:09:54 Skynet: [*] WebUI Integration Requires Logging To Be Enabled
and
Code:
Feb 21 01:16:08 CakeQOS-Merlin: /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos (pid=9627) called in unattended mode with 1 args: startup
Feb 21 01:16:14 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
AC86U on latest alpha2 build.
Edit:
Even with QoS switch off, this is happening... How do I uninstall CakeQoS?
Edit:
I managed to uninstall CakeQoS, but this is still happening. Could be FW related?

Last edited:
AC86U on latest alpha2 build.
Edit:
Even with QoS switch off, this is happening... How do I uninstall CakeQoS?
Edit:
I managed to uninstall CakeQoS, but this is still happening. Could be FW related?

1. Cake is now built-in to the firmware
2. This add-on provides additional config options for the built-in module
3. As such, you can uninstall the add-on (which you have done), but you cannot remove the core module built-in to the FW
4. I suspect this is isolated - as others would be reporting similar issues.
5. Have you tried a stable FW release (non-alpha)? I am running the 386.5 Beta 1 and have no issues with Cake.

I would get to a stable release and present your findings, if possible.

How do you uninstall the add-on?
I installed it, but would like to remove to keep from tinkering
As per the documentation:

Code:
1. SSH to the router and execute:
cake-qos uninstall

Cheers

Hi David, USB dongle except which category of WAN packet is overhead? Thx

Attachments

• FA6C740E-B503-451F-B30B-FD517A14A6A1.jpeg
    FA6C740E-B503-451F-B30B-FD517A14A6A1.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 235
Don't use diffserv8. There is no meaningful DSCP marking of packets, so diffserv8/4/3 is useless for download. Use besteffort on download. You may consider up to diffserv4 on upload if some of your devices self-mark packets (VOIP applications like Discord etc).

You are also better off sticking with the dual-srchost and dual-dsthost defaults. If you leave your settings on "flow" then you run the risk of a single client on your network hogging the whole WAN link if it opens a ton of connections.

You will also want to enable NAT so that the correct source and destination addresses can be determined.

TonyK132 pretty much shows the best combination of settings, obviously tune the bandwith dfor download and upload to suit your own connection.
In reference to:

What is the best setting?
Thanks.
Sorry for my bad English.......

In reference to:

What is the best setting?
Thanks.
Sorry for my bad English.......
It looks like packets are being tagged with a value of 46, which corresponds to the "EF" category.
See here:

A handy little table contributed by @Wistuplu indicates that this category lands in the highest priority cake tin

If you have your upload queue type set to "diffserv4", then those outbound packets should get top priority.

There is no telling what values are being sent back from the Internet, so I am not sure the download setting will make much difference on your receiving end.

It looks like packets are being tagged with a value of 46, which corresponds to the "EF" category.
See here:

A handy little table contributed by @Wistuplu indicates that this category lands in the highest priority cake tin

If you have your upload queue type set to "diffserv4", then those outbound packets should get top priority.

There is no telling what values are being sent back from the Internet, so I am not sure the download setting will make much difference on your receiving end.
Last question :)
How can I understand if my configuration is working correctly?

Last question :)
How can I understand if my configuration is working correctly?
Check the Cake Upload Statistics.

If you see traffic going into the "Voice" tin while you are gaming, then it would be categorising traffic properly.

If you want to check if cake is working in general, then try the dslreports or waveform bufferbloat test websites.

Anyone interested in helping to test and/or port my bash CAKE-aurorate script for Asus Merlin for those who have variable bandwidth connections like LTE or Starlink? The core functionality is pretty well tested and settled now.

Request:
Is it normal for the Xbox Live connection to drop when I click Apply?
Thanks.
Probably yes. The script will flush the conntrack table to ensure connections get classified according to the rules. You can comment out the line with conntrack to avoid this behavior.

Anyone interested in helping to test and/or port my bash CAKE-aurorate script for Asus Merlin for those who have variable bandwidth connections like LTE or Starlink? The core functionality is pretty well tested and settled now.

Seems interesting, but time oh find me time....

A6D3E507-0C24-4DFC-8B2E-6D9750607E44.jpeg
BF10F680-089C-403A-BD94-546204E94E29.jpeg
56DAEB40-D022-4A4B-9450-05C9A8F07C9F.jpeg
70A60E20-5669-4D05-9323-ADB7B055A820.jpeg

Going to drop this here for convenience for those looking to know what each diffserv traffic class does. Might be different for Cake QoS merlin.

“A Diffserv-aware priority queue, giving more priority to certain classes, up to a specified fraction of bandwidth. Above that bandwidth threshold, the priority is reduced to avoid starving other tins.”

Last edited:

Did this go anywhere? Looks like the github is just openwrt