What's new

Can routers from different countries unlock 6G by burning firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

serial

New Around Here
I am using Quest Pro and Quest 3, and I want to use 6G for streaming, but 6G is not yet available in my country. I am considering whether it is possible to unlock 6G by burning firmware. If possible, which models of devices can be unlocked.

I am using Quest Pro and Quest 3, and I want to use 6G for streaming, but 6G is not yet available in my country. I am considering whether it is possible to unlock 6G by burning firmware. If possible, which models of devices can be unlocked.
🤔

Last edited:
I want to use 6G for streaming, but 6G is not yet available in my country. I am considering whether it is possible to unlock 6G by burning firmware.
I believe you'll find that device locale configuration is fixed in a location untouched by firmware writes. Sorry.

I can speak about the Quest 2 and the Quest 3, because I used them with a RT-AC86u and a GT-AX6000 (both only 5G) with both headsets and you wouldn't feel much difference if you already have a decent AC router.

The Airlink speed combined with the speed of the video-engine decoder in the Quest 2 tops out at around 150Mbit-200Mbit (I did not find reliable info about the Quest 3, but I doubt it is more than twice as fast).
The Quest 3 also supports av1 decoding which further lowers the bandwidth requirements, so that would make Wi-Fi 6 (5G) or Wi-Fi 6E (6G) even less relevant.

You can do a lot more on a USB cable, but with so much bandwidth at hand (even streaming high-res youtube movies do not need that much bandwidth), it is questionable if using anything more than 5G and h264 would have any merit (because h265 or av1 increases latency a lot and with such high bitrate h264 quality is just as good).

So at the end, just think about it: if the headset can only use a few hundreds Mbps wireless bandwidth for streaming, then why would you need Wi-Fi 6 (5Ghz) or 6E (6Ghz), when the AC routers (also 5Ghz) already can provide plenty more (assuming no coverage or interference issues ofc)?
The answer is that you do not, and the only exception is latency: Wi-Fi 6 is a little bit better, but honestly, I can only see it if I put up stats in the headset and cannot feel it much.

The short answer is, do not worry about "6G" that much.

Edit: At this moment the "RT-AX88U Pro" might be the best bang for the buck (according to the experts here), but I like that the (identical twin) GT-AX6000 has two USB ports (the second is USB 2.0 only). Both routers are "5G" only tho, so they can do Wi-Fi 6 but not Wi-Fi 6E.
But again: for Airlink only, a lot less capable and a lot cheaper router will do just as fine. If you have lots of money to spend and lot of wireless devices on your network, then maybe look for a triband router and dedicate a band to Airlink.

I believe you'll find that device locale configuration is fixed in a location untouched by firmware writes. Sorry.
First I was thinking that OP confuses 6G mobile with Wi-Fi 6E, but now I think I'm confused.
Are you implying that getting a Merlin supported AX router from a global source (like Amazon for example) would not do 6G in some countries?
I understand that some channels are not legal to use in some countries, but they would still work, right?

Last edited:
Can routers from different countries unlock 6G by burning firmware?
No. The channel availability on Asus routers is dictated by the region the router was sold in not by the firmware.

Do they have different hardware?
No, but they have unique information "burnt-in" at the factory that tells the firmware what region it was manufactured for (and other unique information like MAC addresses and serial number).

Reactions: ika
I can speak about the Quest 2 and the Quest 3, because I used them with a RT-AC86u and a GT-AX6000 (both only 5G) with both headsets and you wouldn't feel much difference if you already have a decent AC router.

The Airlink speed combined with the speed of the video-engine decoder in the Quest 2 tops out at around 150Mbit-200Mbit (I did not find reliable info about the Quest 3, but I doubt it is more than twice as fast).
The Quest 3 also supports av1 decoding which further lowers the bandwidth requirements, so that would make Wi-Fi 6 (5G) or Wi-Fi 6E (6G) even less relevant.

You can do a lot more on a USB cable, but with so much bandwidth at hand (even streaming high-res youtube movies do not need that much bandwidth), it is questionable if using anything more than 5G and h264 would have any merit (because h265 or av1 increases latency a lot and with such high bitrate h264 quality is just as good).

So at the end, just think about it: if the headset can only use a few hundreds Mbps wireless bandwidth for streaming, then why would you need Wi-Fi 6 (5Ghz) or 6E (6Ghz), when the AC routers (also 5Ghz) already can provide plenty more (assuming no coverage or interference issues ofc)?
The answer is that you do not, and the only exception is latency: Wi-Fi 6 is a little bit better, but honestly, I can only see it if I put up stats in the headset and cannot feel it much.

The short answer is, do not worry about "6G" that much.

Edit: At this moment the "RT-AX88U Pro" might be the best bang for the buck (according to the experts here), but I like that the (identical twin) GT-AX6000 has two USB ports (the second is USB 2.0 only). Both routers are "5G" only tho, so they can do Wi-Fi 6 but not Wi-Fi 6E.
But again: for Airlink only, a lot less capable and a lot cheaper router will do just as fine. If you have lots of money to spend and lot of wireless devices on your network, then maybe look for a triband router and dedicate a band to Airlink.

First I was thinking that OP confuses 6G mobile with Wi-Fi 6E, but now I think I'm confused.
Are you implying that getting a Merlin supported AX router from a global source (like Amazon for example) would not do 6G in some countries?
I understand that some channels are not legal to use in some countries, but they would still work, right?
You're right. I live in a high-rise building and almost every floor has 5G WiFi signal. I can even use the outdoor signal on the top floor. The living room and bedroom are separated by about three or four walls. I only have one Ethernet cable from the main router to the bedroom. So I need a router with two 10Gbps ports, one WAN and one LAN. I am currently in bridging mode, using windows to bridge two network ports for serial flow, but this is very unstable and often leads to network disconnections due to reconnection.
A router with two 10Gbps ports is very expensive, so I am considering whether to purchase a wifi6E or wifi7 product.
Mobile devices only have a maximum of 2x2MIMO, so perhaps there is no need for a hard router. Perhaps a soft router should be used to install QCNCM865 or NFA765, which can serve as a 6G WiFi AP?
As for the compatibility issues between 6G and current Quest products, we always need to look ahead.

No, but they have unique information "burnt-in" at the factory that tells the firmware what region it was manufactured for (and other unique information like MAC addresses and serial number).
Thank you very much for the explanation. So she/he would need to get the router from a global marketplace.

Interesting: for example, amazon.de sells the GT-BE98 to EU countries where the adaptation of the 802.11be standard is just under consideration at the moment.

So she/he would need to get the router from a global marketplace.
I don't know what you mean by "global marketplace", but to get an Asus router that operates on the 6GHz band you would have to import it from a country where that was legal (and supported by the router).

The only possible exception may be a router sold in China. Some Asus routers sold in China do not have the region hard-coded but as an option selectable in the GUI. Personally I wouldn't touch a China-sourced router, it's too much of a gamble.

You're right. I live in a high-rise building and almost every floor has 5G WiFi signal. I can even use the outdoor signal on the top floor. The living room and bedroom are separated by about three or four walls. I only have one Ethernet cable from the main router to the bedroom. So I need a router with two 10Gbps ports, one WAN and one LAN. I am currently in bridging mode, using windows to bridge two network ports for serial flow, but this is very unstable and often leads to network disconnections due to reconnection.
A router with two 10Gbps ports is very expensive, so I am considering whether to purchase a wifi6E or wifi7 product.
Mobile devices only have a maximum of 2x2MIMO, so perhaps there is no need for a hard router. Perhaps a soft router should be used to install QCNCM865 or NFA765, which can serve as a 6G WiFi AP?
As for the compatibility issues between 6G and current Quest products, we always need to look ahead.
Whatever you do, for AirLink: you want the router (or AP) very close (in the very same room with beamforming disabled), and no other device sharing the same band.
I'm speaking from experience:)

I don't know what you mean by "global marketplace", but to get an Asus router that operates on the 6GHz band you have have to import it from a country where that was legal (and supported by the router).

The only possible exception may be a router sold in China. Some Asus routers sold in China do not have the region hard-coded but as an option selectable in the GUI. Personally I wouldn't touch a China-sourced router, it's too much of a gamble.
I meant ebay, amazon, aliexpress, etc., so markeplaces which are delivering to destinations all around the world, because buying locally is not an option.

unique information "burnt-in" at the factory
Haha, I was going to use the word "burnt" in my reply, but instead opted for "fixed", thinking it less likely to require explanation...
markeplaces which are delivering to destinations all around the world, because buying locally is not an option
In that case I'd say it might be best to research what's legally available spectrum-wise "at home" and source one from a location with/for the same specifications.

I believe I'd toe the line for something like this. Operating outside the regulations may go unnoticed, but it not I'm thinking the fine would be a bit more than a speeding ticket or so.

Just wondering, it's been a while, does the military still have the Base Exchanges? If they sell routers they may well be locale-configurable just because "who knows where you'll be living next week" sort of thing.

Haha, I was going to use the word "burnt" in my reply, but instead opted for "fixed", thinking it less likely to require explanation...

In that case I'd say it might be best to research what's legally available spectrum-wise "at home" and source one from a location with/for the same specifications.

I believe I'd toe the line for something like this. Operating outside the regulations may go unnoticed, but it not I'm thinking the fine would be a bit more than a speeding ticket or so.

Just wondering, it's been a while, does the military still have the Base Exchanges? If they sell routers they may well be locale-configurable just because "who knows where you'll be living next week" sort of thing.
Good thinking, do not break the regulations, and it is not even needed for good Airlink experience.
It is up to you to follow the rules, that is why I said in my example, that I'm from the EU and I could order a 802.11be router today, which would operate outside the adopted channels.

Country Codes on neighboring AP's can cause issues for 5GHz DFS channels and 6GHz...

Interesting read here..

And another more dated, but similar situation...

Remember that country codes do matter for client side capabilities...

Mobile devices only have a maximum of 2x2MIMO, so perhaps there is no need for a hard router.
I could build a 10gig router with pfsense for around $200 using a Dell PC and an Intel 10gig 2 port NIC. No need to buy an expensive consumer router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!