What's new

What AX routers come with 2GB RAM?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You can find out this information by going to Asus' website and looking at the specs of each router.

GT-AXE16000 is the only one.

One or two folks around can eventually do it. The rest won't be able to...

Why do you need 2 GB?

My GT-AXE16000 has never even reached 1 GB of used memory so far. That extra RAM would only be useful for caching USB file I/O.

Not sure why you need 2GB ram, but, build your own router, get an AX access point, gives you more flexibility and options.

Google "build your own router" and lots of links come up.

An older post but still relevant:

Smoothwall, Ubuntu, PfSense and others all still out there, or Debian (ubuntu based on this), or if you want to go Gonzo, OpenBSD.

Or, OpenWRT.

This is a nice little device and not expensive. May not be as user friendly as home router though. Needs some more networking knowledge to setup.

This is a nice little device and not expensive. May not be as user friendly as home router though. Needs some more networking knowledge to setup.
Probably would get limited to something like 400-500 Mbps of throughput with that amount of CPU power and the lack of FE/FC acceleration.

I wouldn't recommend building any DIY router without an x86 CPU, unless your goal is in the 200-300 Mbps max throughput. Like if your goal is to have a portable travel router to carry with you.

Quite possible, I don't know what works on this hardware in OpenWrt.

Agree on x86 hardware. I see barebones with 4x 2.5GbE ports for about $100 more. Not the greatest CPUs, but definitely more flexible solution.

Needs some more networking knowledge to setup.

Hmm, I think that easier than replacing a surface mount chip without robots, and then recompiling firmware!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!