What's new

can't change 2.4GHz channel via ssh in repeater mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Regular Contributor
Hey all,

Hoping somebody can help me. I have 2 rt-ac5300, one set in repeater mode since ai-mesh was giving me trouble. both are using the latest stock firmware (3.0.0.4.384_81219).

On the repeater setting the 5GHz channel worked, but the 2.4GHz channel is not being changed. I tried on the main router and it works no problem but on the repeater it doesn't. the 2.4 GHz channel is always automatically chosen.

command executed are:
nvram set wl0_chanspec=6
nvram set wl1_chanspec=36/80
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

any ideas?
thanks!

Is the repeater connected back to the main router over 2.4GHz? If so it has to use whatever channel is being used by the main router.

Last edited:
Is the repeater connected back to the main router over 2.4GHz? If so it have to use whatever channel is being used by the main router.

sorry, i should have mentioned that the second 5GHz is being used as 'backhaul'

Should work as mentioned for 20MHz with nvram set wl0_chanspec=6
For testing try with 6u and 6l and other channels.
What does it return with "nvram get wl0_chanspec"?
Have a look at wl0_radio=1 to have it turned on

Should work as mentioned for 20MHz with nvram set wl0_chanspec=6
For testing try with 6u and 6l and other channels.
What does it return with "nvram get wl0_chanspec"?
Have a look at wl0_radio=1 to have it turned on

wl0_radio is always =1
each time I set a channel if i get the value from nvram it's correct.. , i've tried 6u, 11 .. no change, the value is ignored on the router in repeater mode and the channel is always automatically selected.

Last edited:
Strange, thought that should work.
Are you sure that backhaul is using 5G-2 and not eventually 2G?

positive:

Parent AP status :
Connected
Band: 5GHz
Link rate: 975 Mbps

and the main router wireless log shows the repeater connected on the second 5GHz band. The 2.4GHz band mac address doesn't show as connected.

[edit, and before anybody suggests a reset, it was done before setting up the router as repeater, might give it another go since i didn't do it after the latest firmware upgrade although the same is true for my main router where i can change the channel without problems.]

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!