What's new

Cascade routers, two networks, can't see each other

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gc38398

New Around Here
I've got an AC66U and an AC3200.

The cable modem is connected to the AC3200 and an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the AC3200 to the WAN port on the AC66U. The AC3200 has the network 10.1.1.0/24 and the AC66U has the network 192.168.1.0/24. The AC3200 has a real internet address and 10.1.1.1. The AC66U has the addresses 10.1.1.5 and 192.168.1.1. The two networks can each assign addresses via DHCP and see the internet. I want computers on the two networks to be able to see each other. Right now computers on the 192.168.1 network can see computers on the 10.1.1 network, but not the other way around. I've tried setting up static routes on each router, but no luck yet. Any ideas?

The problem is you are firewalling your second router from the first network. To solve this problem you need to turn off the firewall on the AC66U because you only need a firewall on the internet firewall. To allow the 2 different networks to talk you need to create a static route between the 2 routers so both networks are known.

+ only one static router from AC32200 to AC66U, AC66 Firewall of or adjusting the Firewall on AC66U

The way a router works is a router has an inside LAN IP network and an outside WAN route. All traffic not with an inside LAN IP address is sent to the WAN IP address to be forwarded outside the router to the intenet. Your second IP network address on the other second router is not known by the first router. You need to add a static IP route to point to the second router otherwise all the traffic is sent outside the first router's WAN port and will never find the second router. The static route tells the first router send all traffic not in these 2 networks outside the WAN port to the internet. If the first router receives traffic for the second router the static route tells the first router where to send the traffic so the second router can be found.

The problem is you are firewalling your second router from the first network. To solve this problem you need to turn off the firewall on the AC66U because you only need a firewall on the internet firewall. To allow the 2 different networks to talk you need to create a static route between the 2 routers so both networks are known.
I turned off the firewall on the AC66U and now both networks can see each other. I was also able to only have a single static route from the AC3200 to the AC66U and still have the networks talk.

I turned off the firewall on the AC66U and now both networks can see each other. I was also able to only have a single static route from the AC3200 to the AC66U and still have the networks talk.

Yes the static route belongs on the internet router. The other router has a default gateway which feeds the internet router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!