What's new

CCR1009 vs EdgeRouter PRO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NickF1227

Occasional Visitor
I feel like I may have made a bad purchasing decision now...
I really like EdgeOS alot, and I wanted a router which could handle Smart-queue QOS at 150+ mb and then offer room for future speed increases. My EdgeRouter Lite could only do about 70 Mb. So I had a few bucks laying around and I just bought an EdgeRouter PRO.
But now looking and reading stuff on this forum, it seems that the CCR1009 might have been a better choice. I have a CRS226 and it would have looked great in my rack.... but I just feel that EdgeOS is way cleaner than RouterOS, and it is way easier to do things. Did I make a bad choice?

Last edited:
Not necessarily a poor decision. Perhaps a bit more due-diligence and you wouldn't be second-guessing yourself. Per the 1.7.0 release post, the Pro should be able to do 200Mb/s of Smart-Queue QoS; probably up to 500-ish -- but that's assuming very little other packet processing on the box. So I'd say real-world with a typical config, you're probably looking at 350-ish. Whether that's satisfactory to you is, well, up to you. :)

When moving to Mikrotik, I'm assuming you realize the queuing is done differently and you'll have to build/import your rule structure, but depending on your use-case, that can produce more desirable outcomes. Plus you're doing all the shaping in software, which can be then run by the aggregate compute power of all cores (not just the clock-limit of a single core, as is the case with most MIPS, ARM, etc. embedded designs) so obviously running that on a 9-core CCR is going to drastically increase throughput capability. If you want to keep fq_codel, then running something like IPFire on an x86 box with 2 or more Intel NICs is a moderately cost-effective option that can take you well beyond anything an ARM, MIPS, etc. embedded device can offer.

Again, just comes down to exactly how much throughput you want/need, and what you're willing to invest/tolerate to get there. :)

Im not exactly sure the throughput of the ERPRO. I have both a CCR1036 and the ERPRO but i use the ERPRO as a MIPS based linux server. The CCR has way more CPU and the ERPRO may be fast enough depending on how heavy your configs are.

Mikrotik's ways may be complicated but it has a lot of depth of what you can do and the CCR series is actually very fast but also noisy. There is a modification you can do to reduce noise but if you want to use quieter fans you will need to cover the gap between the heatsink and the fan to ensure proper airflow. I changed the fans on mine which are really noisy from 30mm fans to 20mm scythe fans and used tape to cover the gaps. It was a bit hotter but the cooling was sufficient for my loads of 1% CPU load.

Thanks Trip, if you look at it that way, I guess I have made a good choice. My ISP is more likely to offer a 250 Mb package before anything higher for quite a while...So my choice should be pretty good for what I need it for.

Yeah, I was going to say, in most markets, a couple hundred megs of QoS capability should be more than enough for the near future. If/when you get lit up with Gig-capable fiber or whatever, you can cross that bridge at that time. GL with your ER Pro!