What's new

Diversion Diversion 4.3.3 - the Router Ad-Blocker, released April 02 2023

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello,

I would like to check the state of the Diversion, whether it is running or not via the command line. I found only command line options for toggle/enable/disable. Is there any option how to check the state? My plan is to create a remote switch in Home Assistant and for that, I need to get the current state of the Diversion. Actually, I have remote SSH commands for turning diversion on/off. The only missing part is the current state. Any ideas on how to get this information? Thanks a lot for the tips.

Hello,

I would like to check the state of the Diversion, whether it is running or not via the command line. I found only command line options for toggle/enable/disable. Is there any option how to check the state? My plan is to create a remote switch in Home Assistant and for that, I need to get the current state of the Diversion. Actually, I have remote SSH commands for turning diversion on/off. The only missing part is the current state. Any ideas on how to get this information? Thanks a lot for the tips.
As you’ve found diversion help gives out the list of available commands.
There are also built in commands for the Diversion iOS shortcuts app, one of them is Diversion sh-state which might be of help for you.
This command returns states read from the config file, so it does not actually check if Diversion indeed is active.

To get an actual state is to see if the dnsmasq.conf contains diversion entries.
A successful grep 'Diversion' /etc/dnsmasq.conf confirms that Dnsmasq loaded Diversion directives and that at least logging or ad-blocking is on and active.

To be 100% sure that ad-blocking is on grep for '/opt/share/diversion/list' instead as the blocking file and blacklist reside in that directory.

Now that I got a new USB key, is my only option to uninstall Diversion/uiDivStats first then format new key and install everything again or it there a way to keep all stats and move all on another key? USB key was fortmatted in ext4 from FD command. Should I look for an ext4 partition copier on PC or it's too risky and much simpler to start over?

Now that I got a new USB key, is my only option to uninstall Diversion/uiDivStats first then format new key and install everything again or it there a way to keep all stats and move all on another key? USB key was fortmatted in ext4 from FD command. Should I look for an ext4 partition copier on PC or it's too risky and much simpler to start over?
In an earlier forum append to copy data from one USB (or SSD) drive to another via the Router SSH interface.
1. Insert the new USB drive and use your preferred method (amtm – fd) to format it as ext4.
2. Once that's done issue a df -h command to make sure both devices are mounted and the names (sda1 and sdb1) haven't swapped around, which can sometimes happen if the router is rebooted.
3. Once you've confirmed both devices are mounted and you've confirmed the names of the source and destinations you can copy them as follows:
service stop_nasapps
swapoff -a
cp -a /tmp/mnt/sda1/. /tmp/mnt/sdb1
sync

Note: Make sure you enter the cp command exactly as shown (assuming sda1 and sdb1 are correct for your particular setup).
4. Power off the router.
5. Remove the faulty/original USB device.
6. Power on the router.
- I no longer use USB drives only SSDs.

Should I enable or disable logging (dnsmasq.log)? I don't use Youtube blocking.
What's the advantage of enabling logging?

hi, can i use crontab to enable/disable a wildcard-blacklist entry at specific times?

My Android phone and tablet are getting timout errors form someweb.cdn.ampproject.org.

I am using the standard blocklist.

Strange thing that if I am connected to my openvpn i can access these sites.

Where should i be checking ?

Last edited:
Switched to Standard, looks to be OK now

Diversion seems to be reporting a (false) Blocking List error. It is running fine, updates are working fine, just a banner in the GUI reporting an error.
Screenshot_2023-11-05-13-06-20-36_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

Just don't want users seeing this and assuming updates are broken.

Diversion 4.3.3 seems to be working well for many folks. This is my observation due to the lack of recent posts in this and other Diversion threads. The documentation is pretty good as well. Except I really had to dig to find the process to remove the default StevenBlack blocking list and use other custom blocking lists. The documentation does cover Alternate Blocking lists but I do not want to block adds to the entire LAN (the family gets upset when I do) just scam, phishing, malware and etc. As thelonelycoder point out there are several web sites that list blocking lists that work with diversion. I chose: https://trainax.github.io/PiHoleLists/
After searching the forums I learned that the lists could be added or deleted using the commands: b,1, 2, 1 in the Diversion menu options. The lists can be activated in this area as well. And I am happy with the operation and the family hasn't a clue that Diversion Lite is blocking over 2500 sites a day in addition to those blocked by OpenDNS.

Diversion 4.3.3 seems to be working well for many folks. This is my observation due to the lack of recent posts in this and other Diversion threads. The documentation is pretty good as well. Except I really had to dig to find the process to remove the default StevenBlack blocking list and use other custom blocking lists. The documentation does cover Alternate Blocking lists but I do not want to block adds to the entire LAN (the family gets upset when I do) just scam, phishing, malware and etc. As thelonelycoder point out there are several web sites that list blocking lists that work with diversion. I chose: https://trainax.github.io/PiHoleLists/
After searching the forums I learned that the lists could be added or deleted using the commands: b,1, 2, 1 in the Diversion menu options. The lists can be activated in this area as well. And I am happy with the operation and the family hasn't a clue that Diversion Lite is blocking over 2500 sites a day in addition to those blocked by OpenDNS.
I don‘t hide setting features, they‘re all there where they belong. You just have to dig a little.
Have you ever seen or read an official complete Windows manual?
:cool:

I was attempting to add a new block list to Diversion but every time I press the B on my keyboard I get this error: /opt/bin/diversion: line 87: arithmetic syntax error.

I tried to uninstall Diversion so I could reinstall it but I get the same error message.

Does anyone have any idea on how to proceed from here? I would like the Diversion menus working correctly again.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 26
Enter 1233 into Diversion, see if that fixes it.

Enter 1233 into Diversion, see if that fixes it.
I don’t know if I tried that specific code, the 1233 but I went to your Diversion website and tried all the code’s listed and was still getting that error message:

Luckily for me it turned out I just had to reboot the router and SSH into the router again and retry. After the router reboot everything works perfect again.

I don’t know if I tried that specific code, the 1233 but I went to your Diversion website and tried all the code’s listed and was still getting that error message:

Luckily for me it turned out I just had to reboot the router and SSH into the router again and retry. After the router reboot everything works perfect again.
Yep definitely sounds like you were due for a reboot.

Looks like there will be a Xmas present under the tree for you all :)
Keep your fingers crossed, I'll do my best to make this happen :cool:

Looks like there will be a Xmas present under the tree for you all :)
Keep your fingers crossed, I'll do my best to make this happen :cool:
Looking forward to it. A shiny new Diversion to play with will be my most anticipated present of the season.
🥳🎅

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!