What's new

Diversion Diversion 5.1.2 - the Router Ad-Blocker, April 21, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No, sorry. I only meant that I power cycled the router. The extent of my resetting before reinstalling amtm and Diversion was wiping the drive and reformatting it, then reinstalling from scratch. I haven't touched anything as far as the router firmware is concerned.

Do you think that's a likely solution to the issue?
I just wanted to understand what you meant by a hard reset. So, you rebooted the router, which was an excellent first try.

one further question, which I should have asked first: did it ever work properly; has something recently changed? ( I think I may have subconsciously presumed that, because this is your first posting, you may have only recently installed, Merlin/AMTM/Diversion, whereas you might have had it all working perfectly for years.)

I'm having an odd issue where only some domains on my whitelist are being unblocked, and I can't figure out why. Diversion and amtm were installed after the big update on a freshly formatted drive. I have tried hard resetting my router as well.

I have processed the whitelist, sort and verified the whitelist, and processed all lists. I have nothing manually blocked. These domains were correctly whitelisted on the previous version. I did not restore anything from a backup.

The blocklist I'm currently using is: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hagezi/dns-blocklists/main/domains/pro.txt

The two domains that remain blocked are shown in the screenshot provided. I appreciate any help you can give.
You should switch to the dnsmasq wildcard domain format from Hagezi. In your example, rt.ns1p.net is whitelisted, but ns1p.net is still blocked.

Try https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hagezi/dns-blocklists/main/dnsmasq/pro.txt

Last edited:
I'm having an odd issue where only some domains on my whitelist are being unblocked, and I can't figure out why. Diversion and amtm were installed after the big update on a freshly formatted drive. I have tried hard resetting my router as well.

I have processed the whitelist, sort and verified the whitelist, and processed all lists. I have nothing manually blocked. These domains were correctly whitelisted on the previous version. I did not restore anything from a backup.

The blocklist I'm currently using is: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hagezi/dns-blocklists/main/domains/pro.txt

The two domains that remain blocked are shown in the screenshot provided. I appreciate any help you can give.
Manually running the blocking list update (b,3) works for me as it should for you.
But while in el editing the whitelist it does not. Let me check that in my code.

RAM usage seems much better with Diversion 5.0 ? With my AC86u its only at ~60% usage now as to constantly being >90% on old Diversion. Was that some "bug" or misleading usage like a tmp file or pagefile-kinda-type thing, or did RAM usage really just get a lot better?

updated to 5.0 yesterday and using hagezi dnsmasq pro-plus list, everything works perfectly :)

did you decide to get rid of the beta youtube-blocking or does this work somehow differently now? i have youtube premium so i cant tell haha, just interested

thanks a lot for all your hard work!

RAM usage seems much better with Diversion 5.0 ? With my AC86u its only at ~60% usage now as to constantly being >90% on old Diversion. Was that some "bug" or misleading usage like a tmp file or pagefile-kinda-type thing, or did RAM usage really just get a lot better?

updated to 5.0 yesterday and using hagezi dnsmasq pro-plus list, everything works perfectly :)

did you decide to get rid of the beta youtube-blocking or does this work somehow differently now? i have youtube premium so i cant tell haha, just interested

thanks a lot for all your hard work!
From thelonelycoder’s first post:
“Removes Experimental YouTube Video ads blocking.” It hadn’t worked for a long while: the battle between YouTube and those who don’t want to watch adverts (and don’t wish to pay for premium) has advanced significantly since the days of this experimental YT adblocker.

I thought I also noticed a significant reduction in RAM usage over Diversion <5, but not being very methodical, it was only a feeling; so, you may well be right.

A Diversion update is available, no version change.

What's changed
- Fixes incorrect declaration of file type in blocking list updater. Thanks to @Smokey for the indirect pointer.
- Fixes post-mount entry check false positive in rare cases. Thanks to @nullik43 for reporting.
- Fixes whitelisting failure when done through el. Thanks to @Smokey for reporting.

Use u to update

What's changed
- Fixes incorrect declaration of file type in blocking list updater. Thanks to @Smokey for the indirect pointer.
- Fixes post-mount entry check false positive in rare cases. Thanks to @nullik43 for reporting.
- Fixes whitelisting failure when done through el. Thanks to @Smokey for reporting.

Use u to update
Is Check for Update from WebUI supposed to work once 5.0 has been installed? It did not appear to work for this minor update — no errors, but it never offered update. Thanks for all you do and your phenomenal turnaround times.

NOTE: I just successfully updated all ten instances (one local and nine remote via VPNs) using ssh. Low priority — I just put it out there while you are still squashing minor bugs.

Last edited:
You should switch to the dnsmasq wildcard domain format from Hagezi. In your example, rt.ns1p.net is whitelisted, but ns1p.net is still blocked.

Try https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hagezi/dns-blocklists/main/dnsmasq/pro.txt
Thank you, changing to the correct list cleared up a little about what could be happening.

What's changed

Use u to update
I updated Diversion and setup my lists from scratch, and I think I realized what the issue may be.

It looks like subdomains aren't able to be whitelisted? For instance, whitelisting 'identity.mparticle.com' still causes that exact URL to be blocked, and show as blocked in the dnsmasq log. However, when I whitelist 'mparticle.com' itself, the issue is resolved.

The same situation happens with 'ns1p.net' and 'rt.ns1p.net'.

Is Check for Update from WebUI supposed to work once 5.0 has been installed? It did not appear to work for this minor update — no errors, but it never offered update. Thanks for all you do and your phenomenal turnaround times.

NOTE: I just successfully updated all ten instances (one local and nine remote via VPNs) using ssh. Low priority — I just put it out there while you are still squashing minor bugs.
Web update works for me, with local and public server.

Thank you, changing to the correct list cleared up a little about what could be happening.

I updated Diversion and setup my lists from scratch, and I think I realized what the issue may be.

It looks like subdomains aren't able to be whitelisted? For instance, whitelisting 'identity.mparticle.com' still causes that exact URL to be blocked, and show as blocked in the dnsmasq log. However, when I whitelist 'mparticle.com' itself, the issue is resolved.

It's fixed and the problem eliminated. It has noting to do with domain names.

Hang on, there's one glitch.

I thought I also noticed a significant reduction in RAM usage over Diversion <5, but not being very methodical, it was only a feeling; so, you may well be right.

Haven't seen much difference on my end in this regard. After a reboot, it always starts off in the 50-60% range as it always does, and then over the next day or so just creeps up to that 95-96% range and just settles there... which is perfectly fine. ;)

1704224307320.png

Nope, your dns requests will bypass dnsmasq(diversion).
I'm going to have to refresh my memory/understanding of dnsmasq and unbound to sort out the differences in my head, because right now it seems I've both running, and both are supposed to be caching. As I currently (and likely mistakenly) recall, while dnsmasq might be faster, it's not recursive like unbound. and there's no AND for the two - it's an either/or proposition...so back to manpages unless somebody wants to jump in and tell me to just comment something out somewhere....

Another Diversion update is available, still no version change.

What's changed
- Fixes the fix "whitelisting failure when done through el" posted above. Thanks to @Smokey for being persistent ;)

Use u to update

Another Diversion update is available, still no version change.

What's changed
- Fixes the fix "whitelisting failure when done through el" posted above. Thanks to @Smokey for being persistent ;)

Use u to update
Thanks! And this time, webUI update is working! :rolleyes:

I'm going to have to refresh my memory/understanding of dnsmasq and unbound to sort out the differences in my head, because right now it seems I've both running, and both are supposed to be caching. As I currently (and likely mistakenly) recall, while dnsmasq might be faster, it's not recursive like unbound. and there's no AND for the two - it's an either/or proposition...so back to manpages unless somebody wants to jump in and tell me to just comment something out somewhere....
Seriously, once you have refreshed your memory/understanding, if want to lay it out in print, I for one would welcome reading it, because I’ve been in the same boat for a while and have been meaning to get round to tumbling down a few rabbit holes to get to grips with it all.

I hope that’s it. I‘m flying out to the Canaries tomorrow for work.
A safe and enjoyable trip, and I hope you come back well relaxed and refreshed. You could set yourself one new year’s resolution: do not visit this forum or look at any associated email alerts whilst in the Canaries. We’ll survive! Perhaps you could write a bit of code to prevent your accessing these domains, no matter how hard you try, till you get back.

I hope that’s it. I‘m flying out to the Canaries tomorrow for work.

Going to the "Canaries"... for "work"... <Ahem> Riiiiiggghhhht. 😋

Thank you for all your hard work on this, @thelonelycoder! We'll be here when you get back! Don't worry about us... we got this!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!