What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have the YouTube adblocking enabled. Should I keep seeing the same video ads over and over again though? I thought diversion was supposed to learn and adapt?

Thanks for the reminder I just enabled this feature will see how it goes after a couple days.

I just hope it works on YouTube on TVs. On my PC I can just use uBlock and that's been absolutely stellar. (I've disabled uBlock on YouTube just to let diversion do its thing).

I just hope it works on YouTube on TVs. On my PC I can just use uBlock and that's been absolutely stellar. (I've disabled uBlock on YouTube just to let diversion do its thing).

No need to disable uBlock Origin on your YouTube browser - the adds hit your router before they hit your browser - so Diversion does its work anyway and gradually builds up "immunity" to the adds as it learns to cope with them.

In the meantime - at browser level YouTube shows zero adds :D.

I have the YouTube adblocking enabled. Should I keep seeing the same video ads over and over again though? I thought diversion was supposed to learn and adapt?
If you can find anyone outside of Googles/YouTubes HQ who knows their algorythms and logic how they determine what ads and what server serves them, let me know. I and others would like to talk shop.
With the crude method in use with the current experimental YouTube video ads blocking feature this is the best it can do. I have an improved version locally which will be included in the next Diversion release. It's not much better, but Anything helps that lowers the increasing number pf ads shown. For the price of exactly nothing for you users.

Sure does.

No need to disable uBlock Origin on your YouTube browser - the adds hit your router before they hit your browser - so Diversion does its work anyway and gradually builds up "immunity" to the adds as it learns to cope with them.

In the meantime - at browser level YouTube shows zero adds :D.
i have been running a seperate script to accumulate the adservers for youtube. to date it has stopped growing at 945 servers.

On the topic of Diversion blocking of YouTube ads on TVs, by the way, don't even bother if you are a subscriber to the (paid) service of YouTubeTV, it won't work. I tried this one day when the Diversion option for doing this first appeared, and was pleased to see the reduction in normal YouTube ads for several hours, then tried to use the YouTubeTV service (which is basically a replacement for cable TV, for those who haven't looked into it), but it absolutely would not work with this experimental YouTube Diversion ad blocking "on". Just a heads-up, in case anyone was thinking of trying it.

Whats everyone using for a list? just the default? or have you added some more hosted list?

Whats everyone using for a list? just the default? or have you added some more hosted list?
There are already several choices of "size" of built-in lists, which are more than adequate, no need to look elsewhere (IMHO).
Personally, I settled on the "standard" one, as it is a nice balance of blocking vs. needing to manually whitelist sites.

If you can find anyone outside of Googles/YouTubes HQ who knows their algorythms and logic how they determine what ads and what server serves them, let me know. I and others would like to talk shop.
With the crude method in use with the current experimental YouTube video ads blocking feature this is the best it can do. I have an improved version locally which will be included in the next Diversion release. It's not much better, but Anything helps that lowers the increasing number pf ads shown. For the price of exactly nothing for you users.

I was using this list on my Pihole

Every hour my logs show a massive burst of PTR requests. Hundreds over about 3 minutes. Is this normal or do I have a rogue process running?

Attachments

• D3F55740-5C04-448E-9667-8A3473469B81.png
    D3F55740-5C04-448E-9667-8A3473469B81.png
    363.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 9DB9AF5B-608A-4799-B3C8-599789C15BCC.png
    9DB9AF5B-608A-4799-B3C8-599789C15BCC.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 138
My pixelsrv-tls stopped working and I got strange performance issue when starting diversion. I already checked my pendrive filesystem with e2fsck and it's ok. What should I check?

that will be uidivstats trying to resolve the names of local IPs to display in the logs. it tries to determine hostnames through other methods before falling back to PTR query
Ok, but why so many? There are only 26 devices on my network, but these bursts go into the thousands.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!