What's new

Do you enable any of the following?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachGuy

Regular Contributor
Roaming assistant
Enable IGMP Snooping
Multi-User MIMO
802.11ax/ac Beamforming

Roaming assistant
Enable IGMP Snooping
Multi-User MIMO
802.11ax/ac Beamforming
Yes
Yes
No
Yes

But I'm willing to change my mind... ;)

Roaming assistant
Yes, it helps "let go" of my phone as I drive away from the house so it will switch to mobile data and my navigation doesn't hang. Also helps ensure devices that have really weak signal don't drag down the network. Mine is set to -70 which is fairly reasonable, I've played with -80 and -60 too and found -70 to be the happy medium

Enable IGMP Snooping
Only matters if you use multicast. It can hurt some stuff but its one of those things you have to try. If you don't use any multicast just leave it off.

Multi-User MIMO
Lots of stuff doesn't even support it. Generally it isn't an issue, some disable it. Don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

802.11ax/ac Beamforming

Leave it on, it works well for devices that support it (becoming more common).

On the other hand disabling "universal beamforming" on both bands is a good idea, it is crude and with only a few dipole antennas it often hurts rather than help.

FWIW, Roaming Assistant should not be used with AI Mesh or Smart Connect. The Roaming Assistant on the professional tab acts like a Wi-Fi bouncer. You don't meet the requirements; you are booted tearing down the Layer-2 forcing to reestablish and then reacquire an IP Address. This breaks Wi-Fi calling, FaceTime, streaming, etc. Let AI Mesh and SmartConnect do its thing; move your clients around without it breaking the underlying Wi-Fi link.

FWIW, Roaming Assistant should not be used with AI Mesh or Smart Connect. The Roaming Assistant on the professional tab acts like a Wi-Fi bouncer. You don't meet the requirements; you are booted tearing down the Layer-2 forcing to reestablish and then reacquire an IP Address. This breaks Wi-Fi calling, FaceTime, streaming, etc. Let AI Mesh and SmartConnect do its thing; move your clients around without it breaking the underlying Wi-Fi link.

AImesh basically forces a roaming assistant function regardless.

If you find calls dropping when roaming, try going into Android developer options and disable "wifi scan throttling" as that helps a lot of people. I believe Apple has a similar one but not sure what it is.

When Aimesh/smartconnect force you to another band or AP it still breaks the L2 connection. The only one I've seen that doesn't do this is Ubiquiti's version that has all APs use the same MAC address and other parameters but that one has its own set of issues too.

Most devices can roam between bands or APs and renew their IP with minimal or no interruption but some (like phones with major power saving enabled) have trouble.