What's new

Does Merlin fw support OpenVPN bridging?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

leszek

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

My family is split across two houses miles apart. To share local resources on both sides - mostly media such as TV service, DLNA media streaming etc. I've setup a single 192.168.1.X subnet across both houses and bridge them using the OpenVPN server/client in the official Asus firmware. However I've discovered that the CPU in the AC66U routers limits me to about 10Mbits/sec with the CPU pegged at 100%. Now that I'm ready to upgrade to AC68P routers I was wondering if I could use the Merlin firmware to setup the OpenVPN bridge since I'll be setting up everything again on the new routers. Has anyone been successful using OpenVPN in bridge mode on the Merlin firmware?

Thank you.

I don't see why not.

But even if it didn't work, wouldn't the stock firmware still get you to the same place you are now?

Merlin's firmware doesn't remove any features from the stock firmware. So yes, if it works with stock, it will work with Merlin's firmware, too.

TAP-based tunnels are supported.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!