What's new

Does merlin support these features?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mars Babajanian

New Around Here
I want a router that will link aggregate two USB connected smartphones acting as WAN/modems. Devices, firmware, ISP are identical. Not just load balancing. Must be IPV4 capable as tethered connections don't support IPV6, to my knowledge.

Very few commercial grade routers support USB tether, most don't have a single USB port even if they support link aggregation and/or load balancing.

I have an ASUS AC-1900/RT-AC68U and it has two USB ports. The stock firmware allows for USB tether of a single connection.

Would flashing Merlin give me this capability? If not, does anyone have suggestions/knowledge of routers that can do this?

Get a SIM modem with an Ethernet interface instead of USB. Then you can use the normal WAN interface plus the USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Get a SIM modem with an Ethernet interface instead of USB. Then you can use the normal WAN interface plus the USB.

That won't work on T-Mobile because any device that isn't a smartphone or tablet is banned on their ONE plans. Taking the SIM card and putting it in a modem or router will get your line cancelled.

I am specifically looking for options for USB tethering of 2+ connections for link aggregation. I've already tested the bridge method with one connection and the throughput is bad due to the hardware limitations of the modems I'm using, as well as the number of jumps and cable types.

These ASUS routers already meet the first step by having 2 USBs, but I need the load bearing capacity in the firmware.

I don’t think Asus routers are going to work for you then.
Personally I would look for an operator/plan which allows any device to connect.
A phone is always going give terrible results as a tethered device.

No. Load balancing only supports one USB device.

Is that a hardware limitation, or a firmware one? Linksys technical support claims that their AC 1900 router supports the dual USB link aggregation, but I haven't verified this and that model looks an awful lot like the Asus version.

Is that a hardware limitation, or a firmware one? Linksys technical support claims that their AC 1900 router supports the dual USB link aggregation, but I haven't verified this and that model looks an awful lot like the Asus version.
Firmware. If you try to select USB as the second WAN interface it automatically changes the first to an Ethernet LAN port. It won't let you select two USB interfaces.

Firmware. If you try to select USB as the second WAN interface it automatically changes the first to an Ethernet LAN port. It won't let you select two USB interfaces.

So do I put in a request for this feature to be added to Merlin (or other custom ASUS firmwares), or look for a model that supports it? Perhaps both?

So do I put in a request for this feature to be added to Merlin (or other custom ASUS firmwares), or look for a model that supports it? Perhaps both?
I think look for another model. Obviously I can't speak for Merlin, but when requests like this have come up before they have been rejected because of the difficulties in keeping them in sync with Asus' GPL releases. As you're the only person that has ever asked for this I doubt it would be a good use of his time.:(

I think look for another model. Obviously I can't speak for Merlin, but when requests like this have come up before they have been rejected because of the difficulties in keeping them in sync with Asus' GPL releases. As you're the only person that has ever asked for this I doubt it would be a good use of his time.:(
I think Dual WAN is closed source in 382.XX as well.

It turns out that the Netgear Nighthawk M1 LTE router functions like JDB's suggestion. I have confirmed it will connect through ethernet to RT-AC68U.

With merlin firmware, will I be able to aggregate both this physical ethernet connection, and the smartphone using RNDIS?

From what I've read on these forums I believe it is connection-based, similar to this (but I could be wrong because I've never tried it myself).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!