Dual band / Tri band mix

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

slrt

Occasional Visitor
I have a couple of ZenWifi XT8s, currently connected using a wireless backhaul.
I'm moving to a new apartment with Ethernet cabling. I was considering buying a RT-AX89X as the main router, and use the XT8s as nodes. Is there a way to make the XT8s' 5GHz-2 160MHz band paired with the main routers' 5GHz band?

Tech9

Very Senior Member
Apartment, 3x routers - how big is this apartment? 160MHz in a crowded Wi-Fi environment, DFS channels - not the best idea.

slrt

Occasional Visitor
It's 170m², filled with brick and concrete walls.
Actually in my area the 160MHz area is pretty free, at least so far. The nearest airport >15km away, far enough that Asus's discovery software isn't bothered by it (at least given the concrete walls), and the only network I can see in WiFi analyzer from channel 100 and up is mine.

Gustour

New Around Here
If the new apartement is ethernet cabling, why not use ethernet backhaul ? I did that in my house, 1 x rt-ax88u as main, and 2 x zenwifi xt8 as aimesh, ethernet backhaul.
So the 5Ghz-2 is used to connect devices.

slrt

Occasional Visitor
That is precisely my intention. Are you able to get the 5GHz-2 use the same name and band as the main router's 5GHz, and have clients roam between them?

Gustour

New Around Here
i use smart connect, and both 2.4ghz and 5ghz (1 & 2) have same ssid, same wpa password, and clients roam anywhere in house without a problem I am rly happy with my home network

slrt

Occasional Visitor
Sweet! From what I heard, in this setup (dual-band router + tri-band nodes) only 2.4GHz and 5GHz-1 participate in SC, but I guess they've fixed it in the firmware.

Gustour

New Around Here
Or they just didn’t setup correctly (Ethernet backhaul)
CB54C6DD-118B-494F-B82F-5416BB371E67.jpeg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!