What's new

AXE-11000 vs. AX-86 Pro for dual LAN and redundancy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gemurdock

New Around Here
I have cable and fiber to the house with both running 1gb+ but I want to prioritize the fiber interface and have an AX-86 PRO and an AXE-11000 already. How should I cable (Ethernet back haul) for performance and redundancy? Thanks in advance

As far as I'm aware there's only one backhaul link possible. It have to be wired to node's WAN link.
But look, you're in the best position one can get into! You choose the one link that gives you most speed (like wired if that works at 10G or fiber if that can do 10G) and you're a hot swap away from moving to a backup solution whenever the first one gets haywire!

If you're looking for enterprise type redundancy, Asus is not the right place for that! But really, do you really need in your house the LACP type redundancy? And if you do, you'll have to be ready to spend some cash for that type of equipment.

Both routers have a 1 GB WAN port and a 2.5 GB WAN/LAN port. With two GB WAN services you can connect the cable to the 1 GB WAN and the fiber to the 2.5 GB WAN (or vice versa) and set up load balancing which may or may not work. Merlin firmware has an add on that may give you better WAN failover operation.

As for the AiMesh backhaul, use a LAN port on the router to the WAN port on the AiMesh node. However, you may want to deploy the second router as an Access Point and use different WIFI channels. AS the AXE11000 6 GHz channel is short ranged you may want to use the AX86U Pro as the router and the AXE11000 as the AiMesh node or Access Point.

Both routers have a 1 GB WAN port and a 2.5 GB WAN/LAN port. With two GB WAN services you can connect the cable to the 1 GB WAN and the fiber to the 2.5 GB WAN (or vice versa) and set up load balancing which may or may not work. Merlin firmware has an add on that may give you better WAN failover operation.

As for the AiMesh backhaul, use a LAN port on the router to the WAN port on the AiMesh node. However, you may want to deploy the second router as an Access Point and use different WIFI channels. AS the AXE11000 6 GHz channel is short ranged you may want to use the AX86U Pro as the router and the AXE11000 as the AiMesh node or Access Point.
Using the AX86U PRO as the router AiMesh'd to the AXE11000 load balanced with Merlin's firmware and Ranger's fail-over script (once I figure out how to implement it :)) was how I was inclined to go but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something; reliability is important so I am a little leery of AIMesh. It is a work at home situation, but I can fall back to cell access if it comes to that, I just need it to be stable, I may not be here all the time and a non-technical SO needs it simple. :cool:

I may not be here all the time and a non-technical SO needs it simple.

You may need entirely new hardware for your requirements. You can only try with your home routers.

Using the AX86U PRO as the router AiMesh'd to the AXE11000 load balanced with Merlin's firmware and Ranger's fail-over script (once I figure out how to implement it :)) was how I was inclined to go but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something; reliability is important so I am a little leery of AIMesh. It is a work at home situation, but I can fall back to cell access if it comes to that, I just need it to be stable, I may not be here all the time and a non-technical SO needs it simple. :cool:
You might start with the Asus firmware. It does load balancing. Failover does not seem to work reliably. Also go with AP mode in the AXE11000 to start.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!