What's new

Dual Router Printer Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lionrampant

New Around Here
Folks,

Looking for some advice but not sure if this is the right forum so let me know if I need to move it to another forum.

I have a dual router setup - a Netgear D7800 primary router connected to the internet and connected to that a Netgear R7800 flashed with DDWRT and running with a VPN Client.

I can connect to the internet from both routers when connected via wireless to them.

I have a wireless printer which is connected to the primary router.

When connected to the primary router I can use the printer no problem over the wireless network. However, when I connect to the DDWRT router and go to Control Panel --> Devices and Printers it lists the printer but it has a status of "Not Connected".

I am not sure where to go now so would appreciate some advice on being able to use the printer whether connected to the Primary or VPN router,

Cheers,

Malcolm.

The issue is that when you are using the VPN router you are in a different subnet. As an experiment see what happens if you turn off the VPN. Can you now print when you are connected to the second router. In any case you are going to have to set up some custom routes on the second router to print on the first LAN.

While you are working on solving this issue try using a utility such as Epson Print or Google print.

Thanks for the quick reply. I turned of the VPN Client on the DDWRT router but it didn't make any difference.

I had thought I had managed to get this up and running before I updated the firmware on the primary router but now I'm not so sure.

Is there a good article on setting up custom routes that I could follow?

You are going to have give all the networks information, IPs anf networks starting with the internet router and go backwards until you cover it all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!