What's new

Everything besides 2.4ghz is shown as wired

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

themrweasley

New Around Here
Hardware:
  • GT-AXE11000 (Firmware: 388.2_2_rog)
  • TPLink Deco M5 x3

Setup:
GT-AXE11000 = Wireless router mode
TPLink Deco M5 = Acces point mode

Issue:

I can see any device connected to 2.4ghz wifi as normal wifi.
Anything besides that is shown in the list as wired.

The list is also kinda finicky, whenever I rename a device it doesn't seem to stick, same for the icons I assign, although this bothers me much less.

Is there any resolution for this?

Welcome to the forums @themrweasley.

After flashing the RMerlin firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults, followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP? Without using a saved backup config file.

Does rebooting the router and all devices help?

Hardware:
  • GT-AXE11000 (Firmware: 388.2_2_rog)
  • TPLink Deco M5 x3

Setup:
GT-AXE11000 = Wireless router mode
TPLink Deco M5 = Acces point mode

Issue:

I can see any device connected to 2.4ghz wifi as normal wifi.
Anything besides that is shown in the list as wired.

The list is also kinda finicky, whenever I rename a device it doesn't seem to stick, same for the icons I assign, although this bothers me much less.

Is there any resolution for this?

As far as the names/icons as @L&LD mentioned a factory reset should help with that assuming a reboot did not. When going between firmware types or major revisions a reset and manual reconfigure is always in order.

For the devices showing as wired, are you sure they aren't connected to the TP LInks? Anything connected to those, as far as the Asus is conerned, is wired.

Welcome to the forums @themrweasley.

After flashing the RMerlin firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults, followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP? Without using a saved backup config file.

Does rebooting the router and all devices help?
As far as the names/icons as @L&LD mentioned a factory reset should help with that assuming a reboot did not. When going between firmware types or major revisions a reset and manual reconfigure is always in order.

For the devices showing as wired, are you sure they aren't connected to the TP LInks? Anything connected to those, as far as the Asus is conerned, is wired.
Yes this is a clean install with a recent full factory reset, everything is setup manually.
Reboots did sadly not fix the issue.

The devices are all connected via the TP-Link access points, the router wireless broadcast is disabled, although it's all assigned via DHCP from the Asus router.
Also the 2.4ghz are also connected via TP-Link but those are also shown as wireless 2.4ghz.

The AXE-11000 was an upgrade from RT-AC68U, I had the exact same setup but i'm quite sure it did show the devices properly as wireless.
Sadly I cannot think of any difference between those two situations, except that AXE-11000 also supports 6ghz which the TP-Links do not.
And the firmware being 388 instead of being 386.

Yes this is a clean install with a recent full factory reset, everything is setup manually.
Reboots did sadly not fix the issue.

The devices are all connected via the TP-Link access points, the router wireless broadcast is disabled, although it's all assigned via DHCP from the Asus router.
Also the 2.4ghz are also connected via TP-Link but those are also shown as wireless 2.4ghz.

The AXE-11000 was an upgrade from RT-AC68U, I had the exact same setup but i'm quite sure it did show the devices properly as wireless.
Sadly I cannot think of any difference between those two situations, except that AXE-11000 also supports 6ghz which the TP-Links do not.
And the firmware being 388 instead of being 386.

What do you mean the router wireless broadcast is disabled? The wireless is disabled or you've hidden the SSID?

How are the TP link connected to the Asus, are they all wired? You 100% positive? Disable wireless completely on the Asus, both bands, you should now see all clients showing as wired. That is normal, Asus cannot read what the clients are from the TP link. If you want that capability, you need to get more asus routers and run AiMesh. Your 68U would have had the same behavior.

It sounds like your 5ghz is using wired backhaul from the TP link and 2.4 is using wireless repeater from the TP link.

As far as icons and client names, not sure, if you've factory reset using WPS or hard reset procedure, you can instead try going into the gui and doing the factory reset there with "initialize all settings" checked off. Do you have any USB devices attached or anything?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!