What's new

Fairly Bricked RT-AC88U - ideas?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JGrana

Very Senior Member
Recently, my RT-AC88U went off-line - both radios not functioning but lights on the main display showing activity on the WAN side. I was running Asuswrt-Merlin 380.64_2.

I power cycled the router. Waited a while and ... very little activity on the leds and no show on the network.
In looking at the leds, the power led comes on for approx 15 seconds, then does a single off-on. Another 40 seconds or so later, the power led turns off and the WAN led lights up for approx 2 seconds. Then the WAN led turns off and the power led comes back. It repeats this for ever.

I did the reboot to recovery. Held in the reset button, powered on, power led goes into slow blink.
I tried to reload the firmware a number of times. Twice using the CFE-MiniWeb server and once using the firmware restore tool.
In all cases, the tools tell me upload completed. I wait at least 40 mins - then power cycle. Same problem as above. Power led comes on, does a blink, a while later the WAN led blinks and cycle repeats.
I have also held in the WPS button during power-on - hopefully correcting any kind of NVRAM issues. I get the fast blink, then the cycle above takes place.

Any other ideas? Sounds like either a faulty flash device or NVRAM...

Thanks

If it does that after a factory default reset then it's most likely a hardware issue. You could try to plug it in a different power outlet just in case - if you have access to one, also test with another AC adapter. Beyond that, it's probably going to require an RMA.

If it does that after a factory default reset then it's most likely a hardware issue. You could try to plug it in a different power outlet just in case - if you have access to one, also test with another AC adapter. Beyond that, it's probably going to require an RMA.
Thanks RMerlin, I was thinking that direction. I have been at this for 2 days and no-go.
Luckily I had my trusty AC68U. It seems to be doing fine. It was a Media Bridge between my 3rd floor AC88U and my home office. Seems my new office laptop has a better wifi card. Not sure I even need the 88U again ;-)

...Not sure I even need the 88U again ;-)
RMA it anyway and after it's resolved you can use it as before or as a backup. A year ago I called Asus technical support for a possible RMA of a router at a remote location that was reportedly having issues. Asus support was very courteous, professional and ready to help. I later ended up figuring out what was going on with the router.

The router actually was working fine. The internet had gone down at that location and the external radio on/off button had been accidentally pressed when they examined the router. They had unwillingly disabled the Wifi. Therefore I didn't have to RMA the router but it made me feel really good that Asus support was ready to help with the situation.

Last edited:
Wanted to follow up on this thread - and say that I am most impressed with Asus Support. I ended up going on-line and requesting an RMA #. Gave my router information, details of the problem. I have had the router for a little over a year. I didn't realize it had a 2 year warranty.

Received an email fairly quickly with detailed instructions on packing and returning the router.
I sent the RT-AC88U on Tuesday 1/24. Asus received it Thursday, 1/26. I received an email telling me it was received and provided a tracking #. Yesterday, I received another email - the replacement has shipped and I should expect it in a few days.

Wow, not bad. under 1 week for a full cycle.

Hats off to Asus!

I've got an RT-AC88U with a dead 5G radio. I think I need to send her off n use my 66U during the process...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!