What's new

uiScribe Finding Crash Log with Scribe?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Donga120

Regular Contributor
Hi,

My router is crashing, and after days spent trying to diagnose, I am at a loss, what I thought were crash logs, were just system logs.... however I am unable to find the crash log. I have Scribe installed but on the system log it says:

Log file will display here. If you are seeing this message,it means the log file cannot be loaded.
Please check your USB to check the /opt/var/log directory exists.

The other 4 system logs are showing except the crash log. I have FTP to '/USB/entware/var/log' but I don't see a crash log, but see all the other (although I can't view them or copy them due to permissions), any ideas why?

EDIT: Before anyone mentions Nuke Reset / WPS NVRAM Reset / M&M Config, thank you, but I have already done it all 2 or 3 times now, adding each device and setting bit by bit, so it must be hardware. It managed to get an uptime of around 9 or 10 days before doing it several times a day again now.

90.jpg91.jpg

In my RT-AC86U, /opt/var/log/crash.log stores kernel logs like in this thread. I think you can ignore it even if there is such log.

Is there any abnormal log in /opt/var/log/messages around the time your router crash?

In my RT-AC86U, /opt/var/log/crash.log stores kernel logs like in this thread. I think you can ignore it even if there is such log.

Is there any abnormal log in /opt/var/log/messages around the time your router crash?

Just trying to find he cause of the router reboots, and the crash log may help. I do have a /opt/var/log/messages but I am unable to open/view or copy it as it seems I don't have the correct permissions?

Just trying to find he cause of the router reboots, and the crash log may help. I do have a /opt/var/log/messages but I am unable to open/view or copy it as it seems I don't have the correct permissions?
If you use Windows an easy way is to use winscp to copy the file to your desktop. You can also use terminal program like putty to ssh into your router and look at the messages file.

If you use Windows an easy way is to use winscp to copy the file to your desktop. You can also use terminal program like putty to ssh into your router and look at the messages file.

I can ssh into the router but not sure how to view the message file?

I can ssh into the router but not sure how to view the message file?
You can use the command "cat" or "more" to view the file. For example, "more /opt/var/log/messages" or to filter any keyword like time can use the grep option "more /opt/var/log/messages | grep "12:00".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!