What's new

Fine tuning RT-AX86S

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snb008

Regular Contributor
I have just set up this router a couple days ago. Briefly looking into the GUI, there are quite a number of new features/settings that my previous
router (RT-AC87U) does not have. As it has been 8 years since I last did a router setup, I am very rusty and not up-to-date at all.

Every setting is in out-of-the-box default setting. Other than updating to the latest Asus firmware, I have not changed a thing.

As my router is so similar to the very popular RT-AX86U, I imagine there might be a 'fine-tuning guide' somewhere in the web that I can follow
to fine-tune my router in some of its settings, maximizing performance, stability and security.

Anyone knows such a guide exists? Thank you!

I have just set up this router a couple days ago. Briefly looking into the GUI, there are quite a number of new features/settings that my previous
router (RT-AC87U) does not have. As it has been 8 years since I last did a router setup, I am very rusty and not up-to-date at all.

Every setting is in out-of-the-box default setting. Other than updating to the latest Asus firmware, I have not changed a thing.

As my router is so similar to the very popular RT-AX86U, I imagine there might be a 'fine-tuning guide' somewhere in the web that I can follow
to fine-tune my router in some of its settings, maximizing performance, stability and security.

Anyone knows such a guide exists? Thank you!

See my signature below.

OE

Fine tuning? Your best bet for the WIFI is to use the system defaults with Dual Band SmartConnect. If you want you can enable DFS channels and WPA2/WPA3-Personal but be warned that some of your older clients may not like that.
Would recommend you enable DoT to a filtered DNS site such as Quad9, Cloudflare Secure (a manual add) or CleanBrowsing.
Other than that just enjoy the new router! Also try the Asus router app for your cell phone.

@snb008, if what you state is literally all you've done, it may be time to do more. :)

First, after flashing to RMerlin firmware, you should have done a full reset to factory defaults. Only then will the router be using the expected (firmware) defaults it was designed for.

At this point, I would proceed very slowly/methodically if you want to test/try new features. Keeping in mind that the router may not operate the same when you enable then disable certain features (vs. just not touching that feature at all). In many cases, it is far easier to perform another full reset to factory defaults and minimally and manually configure the router (without using any saved backup config file) than to fix the problem directly.

To fully reset the router, the WPS Button method is the recommended way. Be sure you find your model and use the appropriate steps it requires.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

At this point, the router truly is using the firmware's out-of-box settings and should behave as expected in your network (if it doesn't, it may be indicating a hardware issue, a configuration issue (usually WAN), and/or an expectation issue).

The following links and notes may be helpful to get the most out of your router. Hope you find them useful.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Edit: and I would not recommend using the router 'app' at all. If you value your security (the main reason to have your own router, IMO).

Last edited:
@snb008, if what you state is literally all you've done, it may be time to do more. :)

First, after flashing to RMerlin firmware, you should have done a full reset to factory defaults. Only then will the router be using the expected (firmware) defaults it was designed for.

At this point, I would proceed very slowly/methodically if you want to test/try new features. Keeping in mind that the router may not operate the same when you enable then disable certain features (vs. just not touching that feature at all). In many cases, it is far easier to perform another full reset to factory defaults and minimally and manually configure the router (without using any saved backup config file) than to fix the problem directly.

To fully reset the router, the WPS Button method is the recommended way. Be sure you find your model and use the appropriate steps it requires.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

At this point, the router truly is using the firmware's out-of-box settings and should behave as expected in your network (if it doesn't, it may be indicating a hardware issue, a configuration issue (usually WAN), and/or an expectation issue).

The following links and notes may be helpful to get the most out of your router. Hope you find them useful.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Edit: and I would not recommend using the router 'app' at all. If you value your security (the main reason to have your own router, IMO).
The router app used on the local network or through a VPN is plenty secure. The days of the hiccup of automatically enabling remote access are far in the past. At least hopefully...

I'm not worried about the router app (there are workarounds... and I nominally trust Asus too). I'm worried about what the phone's other apps do with the data they're not supposed to access.

The easiest virus to install is a 'free' app that is given by the author out of the kindness of their heart. Not all, of course. But how to know who to trust and who not to trust? Is source code available for 'apps'?

I'm not worried about the router app (there are workarounds... and I nominally trust Asus too). I'm worried about what the phone's other apps do with the data they're not supposed to access.

The easiest virus to install is a 'free' app that is given by the author out of the kindness of their heart. Not all, of course. But how to know who to trust and who not to trust? Is source code available for 'apps'?
I guess that goes for accessing with a PC as well. I use an iPhone (very strong sandboxing) and am very sparing with installed apps so I am not worried about that.

On a PC, I'm not as worried. Not the same 'model' for how programs are installed. And like you, only certain 'trusted' programs too. In addition to the A/V program running too.

The bigger issue here is recommending the OP install non-OEM firmware on their new router. Adding more settings and dependencies that are arguably (let's not) not required is not helpful, imo, and dissuades from considering any other good and firmware-independent advice.

OE

@OzarkEdge, good catch. Thank you for pointing this out. I was reading/skimming far too fast earlier.

@snb008, my apologies for the RMerlin firmware suggestions. I mistakenly read 'Other than updating to the latest RMerlin firmware.', rather than 'Other than updating to the latest Asus firmware.'

It doesn't change the rest of my recommendations though. The suggestions are pertinent for stock or RMerlin firmware (which is so closely tied to stock firmware + the RMerlin extras).

Note too (in the links above) how little I suggest changing on the latest routers and the most current firmware (at least until proven your client devices need further tweaks to work properly).

I appreciate all the above replies (OzarkEdge, bbunge, L&LD, Paliv).
Many information there and I will need some time to digest them.
Will come back when I need further help.

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!