What's new

Flashing routers over wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Whats the best way to up date thru ethernet cord? Or can you use wifi?
ONLY use ethernet.

EDIT: The reason i do not want to program via wifi is that it easily goes wrong and you have to reset the router.
I do not want people to break their routers, but of course it is possible if you want to take the risk.

Last edited:
Just by your asking it, that question becomes moot. In other words, if you have to ask then you really should not be flashing your router.

Just by your asking it, that question becomes moot. In other words, if you have to ask then you really should not be flashing your router.
There are routers that can be flashed via wifi. Just a simple question with a simple answer. Didn't need your 2 cents as someone already answered. Thank you and goodnight

There are routers that can be flashed via wifi. Just a simple question with a simple answer. Didn't need your 2 cents as someone already answered. Thank you and goodnight

I actually frequently flash my routers over wifi, however I know I have the tools and the know-how to fix things in case something went wrong.

Flashing over Ethernet is definitely safer, but if for some reason you have no Ethernet-based computer at home, wifi can be used, but it's more risky.

I actually frequently flash my routers over wifi, however I know I have the tools and the know-how to fix things in case something went wrong.

Flashing over Ethernet is definitely safer, but if for some reason you have no Ethernet-based computer at home, wifi can be used, but it's more risky.
It is a lot more risky cause you take a chance of wifi cutting out or computer. Or endless number of things. I know for like ddwrt and tomato you need ethernet. I was just curious as to what others were doing. I do use ethernet as I feel it's more reliable. Even on my nexus 6 ever time i want to flash a new rom. I like to download to my computer then transfer to my phone via USB. I've always felt it's more secure and less corruption.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It is a lot more risky cause you take a chance of wifi cutting out or computer. Or endless number of things. I know for like ddwrt and tomato you need ethernet. I was just curious as to what others were doing. I do use ethernet as I feel it's more reliable. Even on my nexus 6 ever time i want to flash a new rom. I like to download to my computer then transfer to my phone via USB. I've always felt it's more secure and less corruption.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Back in July I flashed my currently running firmware via 3G over VPN from a Moto G Android phone while I was bored at work.

No problems at all.

Sometimes people can be a bit hysterical and/or paranoid, but alright, I guess it's nice to feel safe sometimes.

Back in July I flashed my currently running firmware via 3G over VPN from a Moto G Android phone while I was bored at work.

No problems at all.

Sometimes people can be a bit hysterical and/or paranoid, but alright, I guess it's nice to feel safe sometimes.

Modern routers should be waiting to get it all in ram, verify it then flash. There shouldn't be any problems. But sometimes it doesn't reboot correctly.

The big problem is power loss, not Wi-Fi.

Modern routers should be waiting to get it all in ram, verify it then flash. There shouldn't be any problems. But sometimes it doesn't reboot correctly.

The big problem is power loss, not Wi-Fi.
i.e. never flash while you're using the toaster and your e-cooking plate at the same time :)

I don't think that's true, the way that people learn is by asking questions. We were all rookies at some point, and hopefully asked questions to find out how to do things and how things work. I worry more about people that don't ask questions than those that do, personally.

I always try to flash my router using a hard-wired connection, but rarely I forget that I'm connected via wireless. It isn't an unrecoverable problem, you can just reconnect after the router comes back up in general.

I have my RT-AC56U connected to a UPS, same for the DSL modem and all my PCs. I don't trust the power company here, has cost me 2 fried mobos and 2 PSUs.

I have my RT-AC56U connected to a UPS, same for the DSL modem and all my PCs. I don't trust the power company here, has cost me 2 fried mobos and 2 PSUs.
I'm only using one of those surge protected power outlets, I hope that'll offer enough protection against damaged hardware.

What I was always wondering (and since you're using a UPS for your modem as well): Would a UPS connected to a modem ensure that you've still got broadband connectivity in a case of power outage? I'm completely clueless regarding these things, but what I'm wondering is whether it is common that the cabinet on the street which you're connected to, has an independent power supply. Otherwise I'd imagine that in case of an outage in your part of town, you'd lose your broadband connectivity anyway.

I'm only using one of those surge protected power outlets, I hope that'll offer enough protection against damaged hardware.

What I was always wondering (and since you're using a UPS for your modem as well): Would a UPS connected to a modem ensure that you've still got broadband connectivity in a case of power outage? I'm completely clueless regarding these things, but what I'm wondering is whether it is common that the cabinet on the street which you're connected to, has an independent power supply. Otherwise I'd imagine that in case of an outage in your part of town, you'd lose your broadband connectivity anyway.

Last year I have visit the POP of my fiber connection and they have there also a (large) UPS.

I have all of my network equipment - routers, IP cams, etc. on APC UPS and when we lose power here, it's business as usual. I often travel overseas and after having no access for a week once, I got a APC SmartUPS 1000 that can take a NIC. It's an odd setup they have but you can reboot one set of 4 outlets OR reboot all 8 outlets. So I plugged it into the Actiontec that Verizon forces you to use with their FiOS service. This way if necessary I can just reboot the inside network if that's all I need, or as a last ditch effort I can power cycle both. The other UPS I have around the house are much less expensive APC you would find at Best Buy or something like that. I have those plugged into $30 Z-Wave outlet controllers so that I can get sort of the same effect. It's a little ham handed, but it works. And even the cheapo APC's will keep a Netgear switch and an IP cam powered for a couple of hours. Anyway I think it's a pretty good investment both to protect your stuff and if you step it up a little, remote power cycling of misbehaving hardware.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

i.e. never flash while you're using the toaster and your e-cooking plate at the same time :)

My power company told me they were turning the power off, I still flashed some ip cameras and bricked them. Totally forgot.

My router has a ups though, and yes the cable stays live when the power is out. I don't know how big their battery is though. Mine always dies first. Then I use 4g which probably has a much bigger battery. My phone then dies first. Then I turn on my generator right before the power comes back on. Frustrating.

For cheaper devices I use voltage regulators which are cheap. My power is also bad and has destroyed many electronics.

My preference is to flash over the wire, as it usually very reliable...

Check with the AP vendor - some are perfectly ok doing this, but some may be specific.

Flashing a device has a small amount of risk in any event, whether over the wires or over wifi...

People feel safer with a tangible cord. Otherwise no big difference between wire or wireless, especially when it's done through a web upload. Under either medium, the complete firmware is first uploaded to the router and sanity check is performed before actual flashing starts.

So really no difference for a web upload... maybe my experience with Wifi was very good (WRT54G > Airport Extreme > ASUS...)

Sorry, meant no disrespect. I meant that one should already know that answer for their particular network topology before attempting something as major as updating the firmware in their router. If that excludes yourself I would have no way of knowing. Peace out.

I've had many problems with routers: flashing wrong firmwares, hardware failures, etc. But I've never had problems with flashing via Wi-Fi.
One of my RT-N66Us (it has no white IP) is updated from time to time via OpenVPN tunnel to the second RT-N66U and one more VPN tunnel from my laptop to this second RT-N66U.
All three devices have different geographic locations and 50 km of distance from one to another :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!