What's new

Flashing ZenWifi XT8 to GNUton's Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Befuddled

Occasional Visitor
I know next to nothing about routers.

I have the ZenWifi XT 8 HW ver 1.0 routers (one main, one node, connected wirelessly via AIMesh), which are currently running Asus 3.0.0.4.388_23285-g5068da5. I am preparing to flash them to GNUton's RT-AX95Q_3004_388.4_0-gnuton1_puresqubi.w , hoping for better stability.

I have been reading about how to do this, both in these forums and on github, and mostly I get it, but I am confused about some fundamentals.

1) There is a lot of talk about resetting the routers, both before and, more importantly, after flashing them. (And there's also talk of just powering them off and then on (to clear RAM?). )

Is it best to use the reset method that involves holding down the WPS button while also pushing the reset button? (Asus calls this hard factory reset, Method #6, for my XT8 routers.) Is that what GNUton is recommending when he says you should "reset to factory" after going from stock Asus software to Merlin? And should I do this on both the router and the node, both before and after flashing?

My understanding is that if you just reset from within the web interface of the router (Admin>Restore tab>Restore, that is a less complete reset.

I believe that both methods will cause the router and node(s) to become disassociated. I hate to have to reconnect them with ethernet, but if that is what GNUton is recommending, I will bite the bullet.

2) There seems to be some contention about whether or not to flash the node to the GNUton/Merlin software, or just do this to the main router. On https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/AiMesh it says, "there is generally little benefit in running it [Merlin FW] on a node, so it's generally recommended to leave your nodes on the stock Asus firmware." But https://dongknows.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware/ says, "you generally want to use AiMesh with the same firmware (Asuswrt or Merlin)", although he acknowledges that mixing generally works fine as long as the main router is on Merlin, and the node on Asuswrt, rather than the other way around.

3) If I do flash the node as well as the main router, is it best to reset them both, so that they are disassociated, then flash the node, reset it with the WPS button, and turn it off, before flashing the main router, and resetting that one? And then use ethernet cable, and re-associate them from the web interface, and afterward, remove the ethernet cable?

I'm a little nervous about getting all the steps in the right sequence, given how little I know about all this. Thank you in advance for helping.

Also, I have saved GNUton's RT-AX95Q_3004_388.4_0-gnuton1_puresqubi.w to my computer. I've read it's a good idea to verify the download - but where is the checksum that I verify against? (Sorry, I've never done this before.)

Thanks very much! I hope I am posting in the right place - if not, pls feel free to move (or advise me to re-post).

Hi,

I did it for the same hardware since the week 1 and never looked back. I read about it too before proceeding, here is how it goes for me:

1) There is a lot of talk about resetting the routers, both before and, more importantly, after flashing them. (And there's also talk of just powering them off and then on (to clear RAM?). )

Is it best to use the reset method that involves holding down the WPS button while also pushing the reset button? (Asus calls this hard factory reset, Method #6, for my XT8 routers.) Is that what GNUton is recommending when he says you should "reset to factory" after going from stock Asus software to Merlin? And should I do this on both the router and the node, both before and after flashing?

My understanding is that if you just reset from within the web interface of the router (Admin>Restore tab>Restore, that is a less complete reset.

I believe that both methods will cause the router and node(s) to become disassociated. I hate to have to reconnect them with ethernet, but if that is what GNUton is recommending, I will bite the bullet.
Mainly it reset some values to default FW settings, best to do it when moving to Merlin/GNUton. Do the WPS reset on each node and do no restore backup from you old config. Once FW update and reset are done, built your setup from scratch.

2) There seems to be some contention about whether or not to flash the node to the GNUton/Merlin software, or just do this to the main router. On https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/AiMesh it says, "there is generally little benefit in running it [Merlin FW] on a node, so it's generally recommended to leave your nodes on the stock Asus firmware." But https://dongknows.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware/ says, "you generally want to use AiMesh with the same firmware (Asuswrt or Merlin)", although he acknowledges that mixing generally works fine as long as the main router is on Merlin, and the node on Asuswrt, rather than the other way around.
I did it on all nodes, makes more sense for me but it's personal.

3) If I do flash the node as well as the main router, is it best to reset them both, so that they are disassociated, then flash the node, reset it with the WPS button, and turn it off, before flashing the main router, and resetting that one? And then use ethernet cable, and re-associate them from the web interface, and afterward, remove the ethernet cable?
Flash/reset the node then power it off (plug). then do the same with the router.You'll have Internet access in case of issue with the 1st node :D.

I'm a little nervous about getting all the steps in the right sequence, given how little I know about all this.
this is right, you understand the journey ;)

Also, I have saved GNUton's RT-AX95Q_3004_388.4_0-gnuton1_puresqubi.w to my computer. I've read it's a good idea to verify the download - but where is the checksum that I verify against?
when uploading the file to the node, a validity check is made. Nothing to worry about.

Enjoy!

1) I'm not aware of a reset method that uses both the WPS button and the Reset button, for a single reset. Use the WPS method that is specified for your router(s) at the link below.

Be sure you perform a full WPS reset on the nodes too, after flashing them with the firmware you want to use.

Use the main router's GUI to add them back into an AiMesh setup.

Yes, that is the goal. You want to start with all routers at a better-than-brand-new level of being fully reset. This implies that the main router will not be functional, and any nodes will not be associated with any router either. At this point (assuming that a single reset fully resets the hardware you're using (which is not always the case)), the new firmware you flashed to the routers will use and present the expected defaults, variables, and other low-level NVRAM specifics that the firmware expects.

2) IME, when a network is using identical/similar firmware on the main router and all nodes, that is the most stable network possible. The reason I believe this is so is because there will be no cross-firmware interaction possible. Which there will be when mixing stock and RMerlin firmware.

The fact that there is 'little benefit to running RMerlin firmware' has to do with the fact that the features RMerlin offers aren't present on nodes. But that ignores the stability, reliability, and dependability that running identical firmware offers.

3) See the links below.

How to check the hash/checksums on Windows.

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

AiMesh Ideal Placement

After you have properly and fully reset all your hardware, and proceeded to minimally and manually configure the main router and properly add the AiMesh nodes, and have tested and verified the operation of the routers/network to your satisfaction, you may want to use the following link to create a backup of your work.

As long as you don't change ANY settings, you can use the above files, along with another full reset of all hardware, to quickly get back to where you were.

shama_001 and L&LD - Thank you both so much for responding - this is very helpful! I'm not quite clear on the best forum etiquette, so I am combining my responses to both of you in this post - hope that's ok.

shama_001, nice to know that you did this, with good results. I will flash my node to GNUton/Merlin, too, as you and L&LD suggest.

L&LD, thank you for the clarification on the WPS reset method. You're right - I checked https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1046973 - I need only hold down the WPS button (a long time), and then unplug, and plug back in.

Also, I thought there was a problem with trying to use AiMesh for initial detection of the node. At https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases - (Jan 2023, release 388.1-gnuton1) - it says "Known issues: To setup AiMesh the first time you need an ethernet cable. After the first pairing it's not required anymore." But I think that has been resolved - looks like maybe bug was fixed in 388_4 beta. I will be very happy if that is so! Shama_001, do you have a wireless setup, and if so, were you able to use AiMesh for initial discovery of the node?

L&LD, I have a Mac, and I read up on how to do a checksum verification on Mac, but I didn't see a .MD5 file (or whatever) with the FW download, so I wasn't sure what to verify against. shama_001 said, "when uploading the file to the node, a validity check is made" - does this imply that the verification is automatic, somehow? Or have I misunderstood?

shama_001, your point about flashing the node first, so as to still have Internet access with the main router, if something goes wrong, is well taken. I have very weak cell signal strength at my house, so if I lose Internet, I am pretty screwed - which is partly why I approach this networking stuff with trepidation!

So, just to confirm, the sequence is:

0) Before resetting or flashing, I have made a copy of my current configuration (CFG file), and screenshots of my settings. (Thanks for the reminder, L&LD!) And I downloaded a copy of my current Asus FW.

1) WPS reset the node, then flash to Merlin/GNUton (via web GUI). Then WPS reset. Then, unplug. Bring it into the same room as the main router (within 3 m of the main router), and plug it in, but don't touch it.

2) WPS reset the main router, then flash to Merlin/GNUton (via web GUI). Then WPS reset. (Do not reload previous config settings.) Then, unplug. Plug in again.

3) Reboot the modem (unplug and replug). Attach the modem to the main router's WAN port. (Router LED should turn blue.)

4) Reboot the computer. Connect the main router's LAN port to the computer's ethernet port.

(Did I get all these connections right??)

5) Log in to router GUI (will need to use default login credentials - later change these). Hopefully, the GUI will bring up the Quick Internet Setup page. (XT8 User Manual says here when setting the Internet connection for the first time, press the router reset button to reset it to factory defaults - but presumably, I've already done the reset in step 2?)

Enter SSID name and password. (Later, use GUI setting to hide the SSID.)

6) Connect the computer (and other devices) to the wireless network. (Later, I want to add a Guest Network - never got around to that yet - for our smartTV and internet radios.)

7) Disconnect the cable between the main router's LAN port and the computer (right?)

8) Go to the AiMesh page in the GUI, and add AiMesh node. If this does not work, do a WPS reset on the node again. Then use an ethernet cable to directly connect the main router's LAN port to the node's WAN port. Search for node and add it. (Then, when I disconnect the ethernet cable, will the node automatically be connected by AiMesh?)

9) Remove the cable between the routers. Wait 15+ min, then unplug the node, and move it to an appropriate location (more below).

10) Use the GUI to adjust whatever other settings I may want to adjust (change default login, hide SSD, anything else?). I know settings are very situation specific, but if there are any generally useful settings, please let me know.

I guess I should set FW auto update to off, and just check periodically on the github website or this forum?

I have forgone AiProtection, because of concerns about Trend Micro's privacy policy. Later, I want to add a paid VPN; I am hoping this will partially compensate for lack of AiProtection.

11) When all is set the way I think I want it, back up the configurations (CFG file).

12) Should I then unplug the main router, and then plug it back in?

L&LD, regarding positioning, we have the main router in our living room (1st floor) We are trying to extend wifi coverage to a detached garage/workshop that is about 15 ft or so from the house. We put the AiMesh node in the window of a first floor bedroom that is the closest possible spot to the garage. So I think that corresponds to your diagram for extending coverage wirelessly.

Again, thank you both so much for your help!

A note of clarification:

When doing WPS reset, no need to push the button until just before applying power, and you continue holding it until the LED dance is done. And performing such a reset BEFORE flashing the new firmware is mostly unnecessary. You do want to do it after the flash, however, if the GUI method fails to get everything changed over.

I think that you are really reading way too much into this. I have always kept it pretty simple with a flash (all units with same firmware version), followed by a WPS rest, settings router up including connecting mesh node and that is that. Never had any issues.

Ok, thanks! I don't actually have any idea what I'm doing, so I'm just trying to make sure I get it right. It seems very simple and straightforward to you, but to me, it seems fraught with peril! (Also, murky and mysterious.)

Ok, thanks! I don't actually have any idea what I'm doing, so I'm just trying to make sure I get it right. It seems very simple and straightforward to you, but to me, it seems fraught with peril! (Also, murky and mysterious.)
What, you think that it will grow some teeth and bite you or will blow some fire at you if you get some step in the wrong order? Just chill and enjoy your router.

I ran 386.07_2-gnuton1 on my XT8s with 300-and-change days uptime 'til an extended power outage. Upload the firmware then configure only enough to get to the Administration | Restore/Save/Upload tab, check the box for "Initialize all the settings ..." and click Restore. Go have a cigarette or whatever you do to kill a good 10 minutes while it reboots and does its initializing. Then knock yourself out setting it up.

Do the units one at a time. Power down the first to do the second. Then, after the second has come up clean, if you're going to configure it as an AP instead of a mesh node, do so before powering up the other.

If you want the second to be a mesh node, do nothing with it after it comes up clean and power up the first, and through it "add" the node.

I ran 386.07_2-gnuton1 on my XT8s with 300-and-change days uptime 'til an extended power outage. Upload the firmware then configure only enough to get to the Administration | Restore/Save/Upload tab, check the box for "Initialize all the settings ..." and click Restore. Go have a cigarette or whatever you do to kill a good 10 minutes while it reboots and does its initializing. Then knock yourself out setting it up.

Do the units one at a time. Power down the first to do the second. Then, after the second has come up clean, if you're going to configure it as an AP instead of a mesh node, do so before powering up the other.

If you want the second to be a mesh node, do nothing with it after it comes up clean and power up the first, and through it "add" the node.
Thank you. I want to set up just one node, as a mesh node. I think shama_001 (above, in this thread) suggested flashing the node first (then turning it off, while I flash the main router), so that if something were to go wrong with the node, I would still have internet thru the main router. I'm not quite sure - are you saying to work on the main router first?

Anyway, I am happy to hear that your experience with GNUton's FW on the XT8s was so good.

Still is ;)

Mainly I'm saying that if you want to set one up as an AP instead of a mesh node (which you don't at this time), do not let the second one "see" the first one acting as a router while (second one) in setup mode. If it does, you can't hardly act fast enough to prevent it becoming a mesh node.

There are certain conveniences either way (node or AP) with tradeoffs to be made as well each way. I prefer the AP's tradeoffs over those of the mesh node. It's cheap and easy to play around and see which you prefer, if so inclined.

I'm not quite sure - are you saying to work on the main router first?
Forgot to address that. I see the order as not being too important. I would do the router first and get it all set up, ready to go. In the end it really doesn't matter whether you're going for the chicken or the egg as first.

Still is ;)

Mainly I'm saying that if you want to set one up as an AP instead of a mesh node (which you don't at this time), do not let the second one "see" the first one acting as a router while (second one) in setup mode. If it does, you can't hardly act fast enough to prevent it becoming a mesh node.

There are certain conveniences either way (node or AP) with tradeoffs to be made as well each way. I prefer the AP's tradeoffs over those of the mesh node. It's cheap and easy to play around and see which you prefer, if so inclined.
Sorry, I don't really know what AP is... I know it stands for "access point", but is that when it is ethernet wired, rather than wireless? The distance is too great for me to do that easily. (And thanks for answering my question on which to work on first.)

HELP, please!!! Not sure what went wrong. Flashed node, apparently successfully. Tried to flash main router. First, didn’t seem to do anything. Did WPS reset again, tried to flash again. This time, my screen said, “Please wait, applying settings...”. But that was 25 min ago, with no progress. (And, unlike when I flashed the node, it is not showing “x% done.” The router light was solid blue when I started to flash it, and it has stayed solid blue. I am scared to interrupt it, to try to do a WPS reset, and try again– scared I will brick it. No internet. Have managed to type this on ipad, hotspotted to phone. Aarrgh!

Power it off, wait a minute, then power it back up, see what happens, and take it from there. It ought to boot up to something.

You can use the other one as the router if this one still fails. At least 'til we get you back up and running.

25 minutes is enough time.

Thing of it is, since doing the node first, you don't really know if /that/ update succeeded. One reason I'd do the main unit first.

I am pretty sure the node was flashed successfully - when I checked the network thru the GUI before trying to flash the main router, it showed that the node was now on GNUton-Merlin FW.