What's new

ZenWiFi XD5 - Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jebnz

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone.

Firstly a massive thank you to Merlin and the team for their amazing firmware!

Secondly I have just recieve the ZenWiFi XD5 as a present from my wife and would like to know if there is a version of merlin I could install ( I need DNS director! hehe ) I did check the about page and couldn't find anything but maybe one of you legends would know something I do not.

If not I have a RT-AC86U which is already installed with merlin and I could add the ZenWiFi XD5 as nodes to it? Would that work?

Please let me know

Thank you

Welcome to the forums @jebnz.

If you have a stable and fully updated RT-AC86U, you should be able to add AiMesh nodes to it. Only testing in your specific environment will let you know if it works or not.

Asus recommends that the most sophisticated router be the AI Mesh router. This is because the AI Mesh router's settings are propagated to the nodes. The WiFi 6 settings don't exist on the RT-AC86U. I suspect your XD5 will use defaults for them and that might be OK. You will find out.

Morris

Welcome to the forums @jebnz.

If you have a stable and fully updated RT-AC86U, you should be able to add AiMesh nodes to it. Only testing in your specific environment will let you know if it works or not.
Thanks. I managed to get all 3 nodes to connect to the RT router through a wired backhaul because the wireless didn't seem to work when adding the nodes.

I have turned off the wireless on the RT router and now only using the nodes wireless for the 6ghz connections because the RT router only supports 5.

Seems to be working fine. Thank you

Asus recommends that the most sophisticated router be the AI Mesh router. This is because the AI Mesh router's settings are propagated to the nodes. The WiFi 6 settings don't exist on the RT-AC86U. I suspect your XD5 will use defaults for them and that might be OK. You will find out.

Morris
I connected the nodes to the RT router successfully using ethernet then I turned off the RT wireless and only use the 6ghz from the nodes using ethernet backhaul. Seems to be working fine.

Thank you.