What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.0 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Version 0.9.5
  • NEW: Added warning if download/upload minimum reserved bandwidths exceed 100%
  • NEW: Added colors to CLI menu system (I'm not artistic; suggestions welcome)
  • CHANGED: Added placeholder text to AppDB search box to clarify purpose
  • CHANGED: Improved backup/restore prompts
  • CHANGED: Added original category when performing appdb search in webui
  • FIXED: validated appdb text input
  • ADDED: Multiple fixes and improvements by @maghuro
sh /jffs/addons/flexqos/flexqos.sh update

This is a minor update as I'm starting to prepare for a 1.0 release by the end of the month. If you have any must-have features or fixes that should be included in a 1.0 release, please let me know here in the comments or on the Github Issues page.

Last edited:
but the minimum% at 50% doesnt prevent that download from using it all if its available.. what its doing is preventing other categorys from getting any cuz its being forced to that download.

the minium%'s ONLY garentee THAT% minimum bandiwdth.. dont affect the maximum they receive at all. only indirectly affect the maximum of the other categorys

My issue is it seemed that when keeping the minimum low, and doing something else on my network (even just going to reddit), my download speed would plummet to like 7MB/s, and then just stay there.

Version 0.9.5
  • NEW: Added warning if download/upload minimum reserved bandwidths exceed 100%
  • NEW: Added colors to CLI menu system (I'm not artistic; suggestions welcome)
  • CHANGED: Added placeholder text to AppDB search box to clarify purpose
  • CHANGED: Improved backup/restore prompts
  • CHANGED: Added original category when performing appdb search in webui
  • FIXED: validated appdb text input
sh /jffs/addons/flexqos/flexqos.sh update

This is a minor update as I'm starting to prepare for a 1.0 release by the end of the month. If you have any must-have features or fixes that should be included in a 1.0 release, please let me know here in the comments or on the Github Issues page.
Nice job Dave!

You missed some commits on develop. Was that on purpose?

Nice job Dave!

You missed some commits on develop. Was that on purpose?
No, I forgot to pull the things I merged on github.com. Now it's fixed. ;)

I'm a bit of a mess trying to get back in the swing of things after a nice brief vacation. This was my peaceful view for morning coffee and afternoon drinks. My view from home is less appealing.

20200721_190255736_iOS.jpg

I really don’t know the practical applications of burst. I am mostly trying to understand why FreshJR made some of the decisions he did in the original script. He left Asus’ burst and cburst as-is, and I think it’s less than ideal, but there are implications for sub-classes and leaf classes. I had a better grasp of it before vacation. :rolleyes:
Interesting read also just wanted to ask I had some old conversions with freshjr a bit back that I dug up he was clarifying won't tings for me I could pm you the conversation with screen shots if that helps with anything he did explain something about r2q and other stuff, it's just a thought.

Just noticed something. Did a test of a fast download, and saw the "web Surfing" category shoot up in speed, while "file transferring" remained idle. I guess its mis-categorizing it. Other than what I did, is there some other way to categorize it properly? pretty much all those downloads use IDM for transfers, if that helps.

Just noticed something. Did a test of a fast download, and saw the "web Surfing" category shoot up in speed, while "file transferring" remained idle. I guess its mis-categorizing it. Other than what I did, is there some other way to categorize it properly? pretty much all those downloads use IDM for transfers, if that helps.
What did the connection look like in the Tracked Connections list? Hard to say what the problem is.

Hi Dave,

This is my first post and it is a result of your request for suggestions as well as bug reports.

Suggestion: On the FlexQOS tab, turn the colored classes into buttons. When the button is clicked, provide a list of active flows. The list should include all the items under "Tracked Connections."

Bug: I'm not shore who owns this one yet I'll bring it up here. When any of the Windows 10 PCs on our network stream video via YouTube and use the Chrome browser is appears to be classified as "web surfing". It is properly classified as "Streaming Video" when the browser is the old MS Edge and on our smart TV. I've tested in a Chrome Incognito window and the issue persists.

I'm retired a few years after a career in IT with more than 20 years in Network Management. I'm quite impressed with this community which I have been following for many years.

Thank you for all you are doing,

Morris

Bug: I'm not shore who owns this one yet I'll bring it up here. When any of the Windows 10 PCs on our network stream video via YouTube and use the Chrome browser is appears to be classified as "web surfing". It is properly classified as "Streaming Video" when the browser is the old MS Edge and on our smart TV. I've tested in a Chrome Incognito window and the issue persists.
My wife uses Chrome and often I will see connections from her PC using QUIC (443/udp) in the connection list. Does this happen in your scenario?
Suggestion: On the FlexQOS tab, turn the colored classes into buttons. When the button is clicked, provide a list of active flows. The list should include all the items under "Tracked Connections."
It’s an interesting idea, which I’m imagining as a filter for the Tracked Connections table. Not 1.0 material since I have no idea how I would do it yet (I need @Jack Yaz to implement it in one of his scripts so I can plagiarize).
I'm retired a few years after a career in IT with more than 20 years in Network Management. I'm quite impressed with this community which I have been following for many years.
This site is my drug that I have no resistance against. I hope you keep posting.

My wife uses Chrome and often I will see connections from her PC using QUIC (443/udp) in the connection list. Does this happen in your scenario?

It’s an interesting idea, which I’m imagining as a filter for the Tracked Connections table. Not 1.0 material since I have no idea how I would do it yet (I need @Jack Yaz to implement it in one of his scripts so I can plagiarize).

This site is my drug that I have no resistance against. I hope you keep posting.

I see a lot of 443/udp yet it's listed as "untracked" No application is listed.

For the connection list, it is probably very similar code to the lists of flows for an IP address. Just a different search variable. I was a systems programmer that got into networking from the software side.

I've got an interesting idea related to Chrome being different. I believe there is a setting for Chome to tunnel it's DNS to google DNS via HTTPS. I believe the default setting is automatic. I'm going to try having it use DNS. I'll report back.

Morris

I see a lot of 443/udp yet it's listed as "untracked" No application is listed.

For the connection list, it is probably very similar code to the lists of flows for an IP address. Just a different search variable. I was a systems programmer that got into networking from the software side.

I've got an interesting idea related to Chrome being different. I believe there is a setting for Chome to tunnel it's DNS to google DNS via HTTPS. I believe the default setting is automatic. I'm going to try having it use DNS. I'll report back.

Morris

Turing off secure DNS did not effect the type of flow detected. Probably needs to be looked at with a packet analyzer. Anyone on the forum good at that? I had my staff looking at the traces so it's been years since I did it.

Morris

Turing off secure DNS did not effect the type of flow detected. Probably needs to be looked at with a packet analyzer. Anyone on the forum good at that? I had my staff looking at the traces so it's been years since I did it.

Morris
At a more basic level, we need to see what connections are colored as Web Surfing. Are they labeled YouTube or something else? Filter by one of the Win10 devices and play a YouTube video in Chrome. Then take a screenshot of the connection list. Crop the local IP info if the names are too private.

@dave14305 poor fresh prolly hung himself from all the special requests =p.. Might i suggest a more basic approach to the qos with only a few clearly wrong tweaks.. the rest of the focus on the user configurable element and a nice list at the top post with ports etc for diff apps etc for people to choose theyre own tweaks. Get the thread working for you :)

What did the connection look like in the Tracked Connections list? Hard to say what the problem is.

managed to figure out which one it was. The server had changed IP address. the connection itself does shows up at "HTTP Protocol over TLS SSL". I guess the server had changed IP address. once I updated the address in the iptables, it was categorizing it correctly. now, next question, is there a way to add a site address instead of an IP address to the remote IP/CDR so I don't have to verify the IP often?

At a more basic level, we need to see what connections are colored as Web Surfing. Are they labeled YouTube or something else? Filter by one of the Win10 devices and play a YouTube video in Chrome. Then take a screenshot of the connection list. Crop the local IP info if the names are too private.

They are just labeled "Web Surfing" and that is the problem. Not being ID properly to be classified. Dose Asus do that part?

No, I forgot to pull the things I merged on github.com. Now it's fixed. ;)

I'm a bit of a mess trying to get back in the swing of things after a nice brief vacation. This was my peaceful view for morning coffee and afternoon drinks. My view from home is less appealing.
Lake Erie or Ontario? Or neither ;-)

They are just labeled "Web Surfing" and that is the problem. Not being ID properly to be classified. Dose Asus do that part?
I don’t think it’s possible for “Web Surfing” to be a label in the connection list. The App classification is done by Asus/Trend Micro, but you can override the priority if you can uniquely identify the traffic by IP and/or port and/or Mark. But you have to do it on your own if you don’t want to provide the connection details for the rest of us to offer help.

managed to figure out which one it was. The server had changed IP address. the connection itself does shows up at "HTTP Protocol over TLS SSL". I guess the server had changed IP address. once I updated the address in the iptables, it was categorizing it correctly. now, next question, is there a way to add a site address instead of an IP address to the remote IP/CDR so I don't have to verify the IP often?
Was it a significant IP change (all 4 octets) or a minor change to the last octet that could be handled by a CIDR block? Chasing DNS names is a losing proposition and relatively incongruent with iptables. If it’s multiple IPs within a /24 or even a /16 CIDR, it may be worth going that route.

@dave14305 poor fresh prolly hung himself from all the special requests =p.. Might i suggest a more basic approach to the qos with only a few clearly wrong tweaks.. the rest of the focus on the user configurable element and a nice list at the top post with ports etc for diff apps etc for people to choose theyre own tweaks. Get the thread working for you :)
The only remaining hard-coded rules in the script is half of the original VPN fix, and the rule to establish the Game Downloads tc filter. Everything else has been moved to the user-customizable config. I think most of the default rules are safe for new users. Advanced users who don’t want them can delete them. Despite the evolution of the QoS scripts, it is still a challenge to customize your own iptables rules, and potentially beyond some users’ skill or desire.

I do wish that the forum had the ability to have a wiki post (like I’ve seen on forums.macrumors.com), because I’m not that interested in curating a list of user rules. That’s where all the gamers and others with the experience come in. I intend to provide the framework. What everyone does within that framework (beyond the defaults) is best to come from community collaboration, like it has been since FreshJR disappeared.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!