What's new

Getting SNMP data with Telegraf

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

laucien

New Around Here
I know this is gonna sound really noob but for the life of me I can't figure some of this stuff out >.>.

I have a NAS/homeServer with a bunch of VMs and containers. Among those, I have a telegraf docker container that collects a lot of metrics for that server and sends it to the usual influxdb/grafana combo. I want to set that Telegraf instance to also query all the info I can from my router running merlin.

I have no idea how to do it.

I have SNMP correctly set up on the router and using a Linux instance I can query all the info using snmpwalk + public get + IP but I can't figure out which OID addresses mean what or how to group everything in a coherent way to send it into influxdb. I've read several guides that mentioned what each address meant and I could query some but when I tried to query info using tables instead of the ids-thingies I always get an error saying that resource doesn't exist.

I'm obviously screwing up somewhere.

I know it's cheating but... does anyone have some default configs or already-setup stuff I could steal? :p.

It's pretty standard MIB II stuff. I use a different tool to pull SNMP data, and they had a template for "router" that got most things. For other bits, I just used SNMPwalk from the Linux command line and looked for the info I wanted. I use good, old MRTG. https://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/