What's new

Getting flooded with log entries I don't understand on my RT-AX86U Pro running 3004.388.6_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RobD

New Around Here
Everyone,

I'm currently getting flooded with these log entries in the System log of my RT-AX86U Pro running 3004.388.6_2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help

Mar 1 15:08:36 kernel: bcm_parse_gso_hdrs Unsupported L4 type=41
Mar 1 15:08:37 kernel: bcm_parse_gso_hdrs Unsupported L4 type=41
Mar 1 15:08:38 kernel: bcm_parse_gso_hdrs Unsupported L4 type=41
Mar 1 15:08:38 kernel: bcm_parse_gso_hdrs Unsupported L4 type=41
Mar 1 15:08:39 kernel: bcm_parse_gso_hdrs Unsupported L4 type=41
Mar 1 15:08:40 kernel: bcm_parse_gso_hdrs Unsupported L4 type=41

I don't know why you're getting that message, but L4 type=41 is "IPv6 Encapsulation". Have you enabled IPv6 on your router or the gateway modem/ONT?

Yes, at first I couldn't get IPv6 working on my Frontier ISP till I enabled Tunnel 6to4 now the static tests indicate I have IPv6 working. Thanks

Yes, at first I couldn't get IPv6 working on my Frontier ISP till I enabled Tunnel 6to4 now the static tests indicate I have IPv6 working. Thanks
Frontier doesn't support IPv6 in most markets. Frustrating many Frontier fiber users. Lots of people end up using Hurricane Electric. Another comment about using "Tunnel 6to4" on an Asus router connected to Frontier.
I3xTr3m3iNG OP • 1y ago
I'm using an ASUS AiMesh setup. I have IPv6 set to use the "Tunnel 6to4" mode which runs through the IPv4 Anycast Relay (192.88.89.1), and it gives a /48 from Frontier to use. You still end up having IPv4 traffic routing as default unlike how you would with Hurricane Electric due to native IPv6, but at least this way there's no speed loss or latency increase which is what I prefer while still having IPv6 connectivity in some form.

I turned IPv6 off, the router rebooted. And for now, I don't see the flood of messages. I'll let it run for a while to see if they reoccur. Thanks, I guess I don't "need" IPv6.

Thanks, I guess I don't "need" IPv6.

This 6in4 tunnel is useless. It's still IPv4 in/out. You perhaps don't need IPv6. The default firmware setting is Disabled.

to get it "working"

What isn't working for you without it? If you can't answer this question - you don't need it.

The odd thing is, the RT-AX86U Pro is an upgrade from a regular RT-AX86U. I didn't have this problem on the regular RT-AX86U (the regular RT-AX86U was rock solid for me) and the IPv6 configuration was the same.

On the consumer market very often hardware upgrade comes with issues upgrade. Wait to see the first 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware releases for your router. This is going to be the official start of your beta testing membership. What you see now is a preview. 🤭

If you upgraded from RT-AX86U to RT-AX86U Pro - you've got basically the same router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!