What's new

GT-AX6000 "slow" wifi and low signal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DieMitchell

New Around Here
I upgraded from the rt-ax92u to the GT-AX6000 but my range has significantly decreased, one floor above the router where i would usually have near full range on every device it now sometimes doesnt even connect on my phone on both 2.4 and 5ghz....
is this normal or could there be something wrong with this unit?

Have you tried using a WiFi analyser app to see what the signal strenght is?
Sat about 2.5m from the router (router at 1 notch from full power the signal is at -25dBm
Upstairs as far away from the router as I can get, I'm still at -50dBm
Walking down the road, with a clear line of sight to the house (but not the router) at about 100m away I hit -75dBm
This is all on 5GHz, with the router power notched back one tick from full power (1000mW being max here). Also worth noting that 2.4GHz thanks to it's lower power, performs worse! And of course, I do have a mesh unit in order to get reliable signals around a corner and into a service cupboard containing a couple of valves (made sure only to measure the main WiFi though).

I upgraded from the rt-ax92u to the GT-AX6000 but my range has significantly decreased, one floor above the router where i would usually have near full range on every device it now sometimes doesnt even connect on my phone on both 2.4 and 5ghz....
is this normal or could there be something wrong with this unit?
Are you using latest stock firmware or asuswrt-merlin firmware (which version?)?

Have you tried using a WiFi analyser app to see what the signal strenght is?
Sat about 2.5m from the router (router at 1 notch from full power the signal is at -25dBm
Upstairs as far away from the router as I can get, I'm still at -50dBm
Walking down the road, with a clear line of sight to the house (but not the router) at about 100m away I hit -75dBm
This is all on 5GHz, with the router power notched back one tick from full power (1000mW being max here). Also worth noting that 2.4GHz thanks to it's lower power, performs worse! And of course, I do have a mesh unit in order to get reliable signals around a corner and into a service cupboard containing a couple of valves (made sure only to measure the main WiFi though).
well actually, for me 2.4ghz performs better, i woke up this morning to see i was on mobile data because the 5ghz signal was too bad so i couldnt connect but i was able to connect with 2.4
with wifi analyzer 1 floor above the router i am at -77dBm with 5ghz at full power

well actually, for me 2.4ghz performs better, i woke up this morning to see i was on mobile data because the 5ghz signal was too bad so i couldnt connect but i was able to connect with 2.4
with wifi analyzer 1 floor above the router i am at -77dBm with 5ghz at full power

Sounds like the radio is bad or they messed up the antenna connections.

Was it like this out of the box with minimal config or have you messed with wireless settings etc?

And please say you didn't restore a config file from the old router to new?

Sounds like the radio is bad or they messed up the antenna connections.

Was it like this out of the box with minimal config or have you messed with wireless settings etc?

And please say you didn't restore a config file from the old router to new?
it was like this out of the box
and no i didnt restore old config
im probably just gonna return it then and get an gt-ax11000 since i found it on amazon for only 20 euros more than i bought the gt-ax6000 for

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!