What's new

GT-AX6000 slow wi-fi download speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

inkognito818

Occasional Visitor
Just bought the router, installed Merlin 3004.388.4_0_rog.

I have a problem with download speeds with wi-fi connection. Speedtest shows ~350-550Mpbs download and 800-900Mbps upload. Rx/Tx - mostly 1152/864 or higher. 160mhz. ~890/930Mbps wired.

Can the problem be solved?

I have a problem with download speeds with wi-fi connection. Speedtest shows ~350-550Mpbs download and 800-900Mbps upload. Rx/Tx - mostly 1152/864 or higher. 160mhz. ~890/930Mbps wired.

How does it do with the Asus firmware with the WIFI set to defaults?

Unfortunately, I didn't test it. Instantly updated to Merlin. Do I have to install Asus firmware and reset?
No, but you have to reset after installing Merlin. And switching from Merlin to Asus requires a reset.

I am simply suggesting you try the Asus firmware with the default WIFI settings. As you did not post your problem in the Asuswrt-Merlin forum area I have no reservations suggesting you try and use Asus firmware. You may find Asus firmware has the features to keep your LAN working safely. Do you really need all those extra add on features?

Do you really need all those extra add on features?
I like VPN features.

Just installed Asus latest firmware, made a reset - 0 difference in speed. Still 350-500Mbps download speed. I tried all 160 mhz channels under 100 (100+ channels don't work here). Any suggestions?

I like VPN features.

Just installed Asus latest firmware, made a reset - 0 difference in speed. Still 350-500Mbps download speed. I tried all 160 mhz channels under 100 (100+ channels don't work here). Any suggestions?
Did you leave the WIFI at defaults? No. You messed around with 160 MHz! Forcing 160 MHz can cause problems.

... installed Asus latest firmware, made a reset - 0 difference in speed. Still 350-500Mbps download speed. I tried all 160 mhz channels under 100 (100+ channels don't work here).
I guess it depends on whether the "reset" was followed by any /other/ options beyond channel width being twiddled. When chasing problems start with the firmware defaults and work your way from there.

350-500Mbps (880+ wired) DL and 800-900Mpbs UL.

What do you expect to get on Wi-Fi? The spectrum is shared between all yours and neighbors' devices using the same channels. It will never be a constant and/or maximum speed possible. Your speeds are good. For more stable Wi-Fi use 80MHz wide channels in non-DFS range.

Did you leave the WIFI at defaults? No. You messed around with 160 MHz! Forcing 160 MHz can cause problems.
Why no, if yes? You can see in the message that I made a reset and there was no difference. With 160mhz turned off I couldn’t get more than 600Mbps upload, maybe this was a coincidence.

I guess it depends on whether the "reset" was followed by any /other/ options beyond channel width being twiddled. When chasing problems start with the firmware defaults and work your way from there.
Tried defaults, upload speed was even slower (550-600Mbps), download speed stayed the same. And then I started to change Wi-Fi settings (channel, width).

You might try the really-newer 388.5 version to see if things get better for you.

I have one of those routers having run the same firmware and never had it function like yours is, so since I didn't have to "fix" anything like that, can't offer specific suggestions.

What other equipment do you have with which to test your wireless environment?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!