What's new

GT-AXE16000 Separate 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz-1, 5Ghz-2, 6Ghz ---- OR ---- Not Separate

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrc00l88

New Around Here
Question on how this works, if it matters one way or the other --- I use the same SSID on all bands regardless.

In the setup of the GT-AXE16000 (imagine similar on the 11000, etc), I am presented with two options via a checkbox:

Separate 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz-1, 5Ghz-2, 6Ghz ---- OR ---- Not Separate

Asus' note:
By using the same wireless network of all bands, some legacy devices might encounter compatibility issue when connecting to 6GHz network. To make sure the connectivity, we suggest you to separate 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 6GHz wireless settings.

As in the setup screenshots, attached, if I uncheck 'Separate' it combines the input fields of 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz-1 / 5 GHz-2 to only allow input of one Network Name (SSID) alongside of the 6Ghz band ---- and if 'Separate' is checked, there are separate fields for four different bands naming conventions.

Since I use the same SSID for all bands anyway, does 'combining' the bands on this page effect any other connection settings - or does it simply just 'automatically' input the same SSID names to save time of typing it in 3 different times manually?

Thank you in advance for the clarification.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Since I use the same SSID for all bands anyway, does 'combining' the bands on this page effect any other connection settings - or does it simply just 'automatically' input the same SSID names to save time of typing it in 3 different times manually?

It's hard to know what happens in the background, but yes, if you want the same SSID for each WLAN/band, set 'not separate' and enter that SSID label once.

Then see how well your clients connect to the preferred WLAN/band.

Also see how the other wireless settings available to you might vary.

OE

It's hard to know what happens in the background, but yes, if you want the same SSID for each WLAN/band, set 'not separate' and enter that SSID label once.

Then see how well your clients connect to the preferred WLAN/band.

Also see how the other wireless settings available to you might vary.

OE

Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out - if anything happens differently in the background/settings wise ---- or if this option simply just assigns the SSID names automatically instead of typing them in 3 different times, keeping everything else the same. Thank you for the reply

Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out - if anything happens differently in the background/settings wise ---- or if this option simply just assigns the SSID names automatically instead of typing them in 3 different times, keeping everything else the same. Thank you for the reply

I can only speak for my AX86U... for example, enabling Smart Connect with same SSIDs fixes the Wireless Mode to Auto; disabling SC with different SSIDs allows setting more specific modes, 2.4 N only and 5.0 N/AC/AX... no legacy a/b/g support required.

OE

I can only speak for my AX86U... for example, enabling Smart Connect with same SSIDs fixes the Wireless Mode to Auto; disabling SC with different SSIDs allows setting more specific modes, 2.4 N only and 5.0 N/AC/AX... no legacy a/b/g support required.

OE

So, are you definitively saying 'unchecking' Separate in the setup, ties the setting to enable Smart Connect (alongside naming the SSIDs the same)? Does it then force Smart Connect to be 'on'?

I set up the router 'checking' Separate, but manually named my SSIDs all the same, with Smart Connect turned off.

Thanks!

So, are you definitively saying 'unchecking' Separate in the setup, ties the setting to enable Smart Connect (alongside naming the SSIDs the same)? Does it then force Smart Connect to be 'on'?

I can't say what your router does... I don't have it. I gave an example of what my router does.

I set up the router 'checking' Separate, but manually named my SSIDs all the same, with Smart Connect turned off.

On my router, if you complete Quick Internet Setup (QIS) using different SSIDs, you are disabling Smart Connect node band steering... no need for it with different SSIDs (since you will steer your clients manually by only connecting them to a preferred band).

You are then choosing to use different SSIDs EXCEPT you are naming them all the same... so, no Smart Connect AND same SSIDs. Try it, see how your clients like it. Since you are not using Smart Connect, you will likely have a bit more control over certain wireless settings like the Wireless Mode I mentioned earlier.

You may find that some clients will not connect to the preferred band. And you may spend more time checking connections to see what band clients are using. At least with Smart Connect, the router can try to help clients make the best band choice.

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!