What's new

Guest network on ASUS RT AC 68U - no internet connectivity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mabhz

Regular Contributor
Hi all!!

Need help setting up the Guest network on my ASUS RT AC 68U router, please!

After years using this excellent router, I never had to configure a Guest network, but had to do it recently because my old IP Surveillance cameras can´t connect to my main SSID (something to do with special carachters used in the SSID), and I managed to put up a Guest network and connect the IP cameras succesfully, thanks God!

The only problem I´m having is that I can´t access my IP cameras video feed from the internet!

It only works if I´m logged to my home WiFi.

If you folks need any adittional specific info, please, just ask. I´m going out on vacation and I NEED to access my cameras when I´m away.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Check that "Access Intranet" is enabled for the guest SSID.
I think that having that enabled isolates the cameras from other devices on the LAN. I would instead suggest that he disable the feature which in theory would permit access when connecting from the WAN to a device on the LAN. If the OP is using a VPN server then that may present other obstacles.

Has this ever worked before (accessing the cameras remotely)?

How does this remote access work? Is it cloud or app based? Do you have to use UPnP or port forwarding? Any other information that's relevant...

Do your cameras even support remote access? What is the make and model number of this camera system?

Last edited:
As fast workaround you could use your "guest"-SSID on 2.4GHz and the standard SSID only for 5GHz for all other clients.
I think you cant access guest-clients from outside.

Has this ever worked before (accessing the cameras remotely)?

Yes, but I used another router with a different SSID. And I didn’t live here, so my home network (and my RT AC68) was elsewhere.

How does this remote access work? Is it cloud or app based? Do you have to use UPnP or port forwarding? Any other information that's relevant...

I use one of those generic IP camera apps that you find on App Store, and these are cheap Chinese generic IP WiFi based cameras.

I had the impression that the cameras connected with a web server and when using the app, we would get the camera feed from there. But being able to access the camera feed only from within my network just made me question that...

Do your cameras even support remote access? What is the make and model number of this camera system?

They’re generic Chinese cameras, don’t even had a brand.

One idea: is it possible to set yet another SSID network that would allow them to connect but that would not have any “Guest netwrogk” restriction???

Thanks for all the help, folks!

It's the other way around. Access Intranet should be enabled/on.
You are correct. ASUS and their way of labeling negative options is confusing.

One idea: is it possible to set yet another SSID network that would allow them to connect but that would not have any “Guest network” restriction???
That is what you are doing when you enable "access intranet" on the guest SSID.

Yes, but I used another router with a different SSID. And I didn’t live here, so my home network (and my RT AC68) was elsewhere.
What is your current router? Does its WAN interface have a public IP address?

While I prefer keeping these things isolated, you weren't using a guest SSID before. So why not just name your LAN SSID to something that doesn't cause problems with your cameras? Also, how are you configuring them if they can't connect?

What is your current router? Does its WAN interface have a public IP address?

RT AC 68U, working also as my main authenticator at the ISP since their moden is on bridge mode.

And I have no idea how to answer your other question... All i know is I cant access my router from outside my network, even if I use the Asus app on my smartphone, and i REALLY wish i could access it and change parameters, specially now since i might not be able to fix this before I have to to travel. If i could access the RT AC68 from the internet, even if i cant access the camera feed, I could at least keep trying to remotely fix it.

once again:
As fast workaround you could use your "guest"-SSID on 2.4GHz and the standard SSID only for 5GHz for all other clients.
I think you cant access guest-clients from outside.

Sorry, but i really dont think i understand what you mean...
I have two "main" wifi networks at home, a 2,4GHz one for far away devices and a 5GHz for closer devices that can make good usage of it.
I created ANOTHER network using the GUEST funcionality built in my RT AC 68U that allowed me to create a 2,4 or 5GHz, and I choose a 2.4 since the cameras are very far away from the router.
What you are suggesting I do is something that i have already done, if i get it right.....

And I have no idea how to answer your other question... All i know is I cant access my router from outside my network, even if I use the Asus app on my smartphone, and i REALLY wish i could access it and change parameters, specially now since i might not be able to fix this before I have to to travel. If i could access the RT AC68 from the internet, even if i cant access the camera feed, I could at least keep trying to remotely fix it.
Log into the router and look at the main Network Map page. At top of the page where it says "Internet status: Connected" it also says "WAN IP: aa.bb.cc.dd". What are the first two numbers (aa.bb) from this set of four?

One idea: is it possible to set yet another SSID network that would allow them to connect but that would not have any “Guest netwrogk” restriction???
That is what you are doing when you enable "access intranet" on the guest SSID.
But its already enabled since the beginning....
Then it's almost certain that this has nothing to do with SSIDs, guest or otherwise.

ok, didnt know that you are using different SSID for 2.4 and 5GHz, thought you use same for both and a seperate one for guest-2.4/cameras.
You said it is working if you put them on your regular SSID, so you can change your 2.4GHz SSID to the one used for guest right now and delete guest SSID before.
Other clients using 2.4GHz have to be connected again to the new SSID of course.

If your new ISP using CGNAT (you will see a 100.64.xxx.xxx public IP) you are lost and not able to connect to your network from outside.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!