What's new

Has Anyone successfully setup an Asus repeater with an RT-N66U (or similar)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BobMCT

Regular Contributor
In an attempt to solve my home's dropout problems I just purchased an ASUS RT-N10 (for $4.99 from Newegg). I plan to use it as a repeater in a specific area of my home.
So, before I tear my hair out trying, has anyone successfully setup a 2nd router as a repeater with any RT running the Merlin firmware? My gear is an RT-N66U running 3.0.0.4.374.39.
Thanks for any pointers (if you have any). :eek:

Yes. I have an RT-N16 running whatever Merlin was current in April (I don't have access to it right now). I have two RT-N10+ routers in repeater mode using Asus stock firmware. I found that to be easier than DD-WRT in that specific context. I really only wanted them as client bridges, not repeater bridges, but that isn't possible with the Ralink chips.

Mind you, the N10+ is a completely different cat than the N10P. I saw that Newegg deal but passed on it when I saw there wouldn't be DD-WRT or Tomato possible.

Repeater WORKING!

Thanks for the response. I received my N10P yesterday and it looks like almost the same container as the RT-N66U (just FYI). I connected my laptop via cable to the new router, entered in to set and one of the nearly first questions was the mode (I selected repeater). From that point on it detected my primary WLAN (as well as those of my neighbors) and asked which one to repeat. I clicked on my main it asked for the passphrase and the rest was AUTOMATIC.
After testing it out I relocated it onto a high out of the way shelf half way between my main router and the dead zone and now the dead zone is dead no longer. So for $4.99 yowzee. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!