What's new

Help, I was tempted by AIMesh and uploaded asuswrt now I'm screwed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kirke Holmes

Occasional Visitor
I have two AC1900 (basically RT -AC68U) routers one of which I had set up as an access point, which is connected by Ethernet to the other router, with the same SSIDs and Passwords as the one I use as a router to make kind of a mesh setup in my home.

I got the email from Asus that AIMesh was available for my routers and read their claims that it would improve my coverage and speeds. So like a dope I uploaded the asuswrt and tried to set it up but when I did I couldn't access the AIMeshed access point via the "internet" port anymore.

So I decided I would upload Merlin 380.68.4 firmware back to the boxes and just set them up the way I had them before.

The problem is the access point won't let me log in through either the LAN ports or the "Internet" port with the username and password that I setup. If I attempt to login with any other username and password the access point yields an error message saying the the username or password is incorrect, but if I use the username and password that I set up, it flashes the Network Map page then puts up the login page again without an error message.

I've reset the router I'm using as an access point and tried multiple times to setup the router as an access point then lastly uploading my firmware again with the same results.

It is working as an access point with the correct SSIDs and Passwords, and passing along the DHCP IP addresses to connect devices, I just can't log in to the access point as previously stated.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried a factory reset, via gui or the button on the units.

Well the recovery tool is not listed under the RT-AC68U support firmware and tools, but something called the discovery tool was. I installed it and it discovered the addresses of my two routers just where I expected them to be. So I went in through the discovery tool to access the one I'm having trouble with and got the login screen and was able to successfully login using the username and password I set up. Just to be on the safe side I once again loaded the Merlin firmware, and now I can access it through the bookmark I usually use.

Go figure, that shouldn't have made any difference, but my problem is solved. Thanks!