What's new

Home network setup need help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nitrous

New Around Here
Hello everyone,
I came across this site and did some reading but now I need some help.
I just moved out of the city to a rural area and my only option for internet is yourlink.ca which is wireless high speed with speeds up to 2mbps DL and 256 kbps UL speeds.

Now this is what my goal is:
House is approx 2000 sq ft split level
I will have the cat5 cable coming from the outside antenna that picks up the signal going into my office room located upstairs on my top level.
This will go to my wireless router (not sure which one to get yet) then a wired connection to my desktop in the same office room.
From here I would like wireless throughout the house all the way to the basement (has to pass through two floors to get to basement)
And also I would like to have wired connection in basement to my Xbox and blueray player. I also may add some wireless security cameras. Also would like to use apple airport express to stream tunes to my receiver via the apple remote app.

This is a older house with no cat wiring anywhere.
What can you suggest the best set up for me ? I plan to budget around $500.00 if possible.
Thanks for the help

Last edited:
confused on this
"I will have the cat5 cable coming from the outside antenna that picks up the signal going into my office room located upstairs on my top level."

Is that outside antenna a device from your internet service provider, i.e., you don't have DSL or Cable modem service?

That aside, you'll need one or two WiFi access points (AP) to improve coverage on three floors. You can use any cheap WiFi router as an AP. Each AP needs to be placed nearer to (but not necessarily centered on) the weak signal area and have a cat5 run back to your router or to a switch which in turn leads to the router.

It's always tough to get cat5 run. But repeaters (WDS) and the like are poor alternatives.

Sorry it is a wireless high speed internet. They install a antenna on the roof to grab the signal from the tower 5 miles away, and from the antenna cat5 runs into the house in my upstairs bedroom where my router and desktop will be located for the only wired connection.

From there I would like wireless throughout house and somehow make a wired connection through wireless in my basement to connect my blueray and xbox??

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!