What's new

HomePlug Adapter with Gigabit vs Fast Ethernet port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willmatt

Occasional Visitor
HomePlug adapter with a Gigabit vs Fast Ethernet port
For example ZyXEL offers two AV-500 adapters. The PLA-4201 has a 100/10 BaseT fast Ethernet port. The PLA-4205 has a Gigabit Ethernet port. Since the PLA-4205 throughput is measured at 82.6 Mbps what is the benefit of the Gigabit port. Would there be any difference in the performance by the PLA-4201 with the fast Ethernet port?

Since IP on wiring does not net out to 100Mbps at the IP layer, marketing aside, I advise not wasting money on gigE. Unless you want gigE speeds between PCs served by the IP over power wiring device... in which case a simple gigE switch is a better solution, I think. One switch port goes to the HomePlug/IP on wiring product.

The net yield of HomePlug AV2 - may or may not exceed 100Mbps, in some situations of distance and wiring. Anyone know?
(Don't confuse the modulation bit rate with net yield IP rate, same issue as in WiFi).

Last edited:
In most set-ups, with the current devices out there you won't see any difference by going for a gigabit Ethernet port. In my set-up with Linksys PLEK-500 which are equipped with gigabit Ethernet I max out at around 42 Mbps.