What's new

Hostname population in bandwidth monitor

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ex313

Regular Contributor
When looking at the bandwidth monitor I see all the IP's listed but the population of the host/client name is sporadic. Is there anyway to force an update to this list?
hostname_list.jpg

I had the same problem. There does not seem to be a solution through the GUI.

I solved it from the command line by setting an NVRAM variable called custom_clientlist. I save it to a file, edit and then set the variable back from the file. The editing can be a little frustrating because of the format and that it is one big line.

I include this in my backups so that I can recover it after a factory default reset.

have had this issue since early 2018 (link to my report). never got fixed on newer asus builds. i belive merlin cant fix it. im on 384.9 and issue persists.
emeralddeer, can you please elaborate on your workaround so i can test it?

IMHO, traffic analyzer isnt worth it if i cant analyze traffic by hostname as some devices change ip's frequently

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 358
Code:
# nvram get custom_clientlist > custom_clientlist
Edit custom_clientlist
- It is all one line
- Format is <Hostname>MAC-address>0>0>>
- The last two numbers in the format are for device type. Asus has this in a real mess. For example, I selected Windows Laptop in GUI and it became HTC One Android. Leave it alone if OK or set it to zero and zero for generic icon.
Code:
# nvram set custom_clientlist="`cat custom_clientlist`"

Code:
# nvram get custom_clientlist > custom_clientlist
Edit custom_clientlist
- It is all one line
- Format is <Hostname>MAC-address>0>0>>
- The last two numbers in the format are for device type. Asus has this in a real mess. For example, I selected Windows Laptop in GUI and it became HTC One Android. Leave it alone if OK or set it to zero and zero for generic icon.
Code:
# nvram set custom_clientlist="`cat custom_clientlist`"
thanks!
weird, nvram get custom_clientlist shows nothing

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!