1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Hostname population in bandwidth monitor

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by ex313, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ex313

ex313 Occasional Visitor

When looking at the bandwidth monitor I see all the IP's listed but the population of the host/client name is sporadic. Is there anyway to force an update to this list?
    [​IMG]

2. EmeraldDeer

EmeraldDeer Very Senior Member

I had the same problem. There does not seem to be a solution through the GUI.

I solved it from the command line by setting an NVRAM variable called custom_clientlist. I save it to a file, edit and then set the variable back from the file. The editing can be a little frustrating because of the format and that it is one big line.

I include this in my backups so that I can recover it after a factory default reset.

3. andresmorago

andresmorago Regular Contributor

have had this issue since early 2018 (link to my report). never got fixed on newer asus builds. i belive merlin cant fix it. im on 384.9 and issue persists.
    emeralddeer, can you please elaborate on your workaround so i can test it?

IMHO, traffic analyzer isnt worth it if i cant analyze traffic by hostname as some devices change ip's frequently

Attached Files:

4. EmeraldDeer

EmeraldDeer Very Senior Member

Code:
    # nvram get custom_clientlist > custom_clientlist
    Edit custom_clientlist
    - It is all one line
    - Format is <Hostname>MAC-address>0>0>>
    - The last two numbers in the format are for device type. Asus has this in a real mess. For example, I selected Windows Laptop in GUI and it became HTC One Android. Leave it alone if OK or set it to zero and zero for generic icon.
    Code:
    # nvram set custom_clientlist="`cat custom_clientlist`"

5. andresmorago

andresmorago Regular Contributor

thanks!
    weird, nvram get custom_clientlist shows nothing