What's new

DHCP hostname assignment does not work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mutlucan

New Around Here
I want to use host names instead of IP addresses. From what I learned about this, I configured like these:
Screenshot from 2023-06-03 13-59-30.pngScreenshot from 2023-06-03 13-59-10.png

Screenshot from 2023-06-03 13-58-31.png

I access to router's UI using "router.local" just fine. I assigned "192.168.1.210" with "pihole.local" but it does not work.
Screenshot from 2023-06-03 14-03-20.png

Not sure if it is related but Pihole is a docker container hosted by the Unraid server. I tried the additional parameter "--host pihole.local" but it did not work either.

Last edited:
The client (fedora) machine is probably running its own DNS server that's configured incorrectly. Try querying the router directly:
Code:
nslookup pihole 192.168.1.1

I'd also suggest that you don't use local for your LAN domain name as this conflicts with Avahi's (mDNS) use of it. Use something like home.lan instead.

The client (fedora) machine is probably running its own DNS server that's configured incorrectly. Try querying the router directly:
Code:
nslookup pihole 192.168.1.1

I'd also suggest that you don't use local for your LAN domain name as this conflicts with Avahi's (mDNS) use of it. Use something like home.lan instead.

Code:
[mutlu@fedora ~]$ nslookup pihole 192.168.1.1
Server:        192.168.1.1
Address:    192.168.1.1#53

Name:    pihole.local
Address: 192.168.1.210

I did not change anything on my client network configuration. DNS is set to auto. In fact, I can't access pihole.local from any other device either.
Note that I can access router with router.local just fine. If something would wrong with the DNS config, shouldn't I also can't access it there?

Thanks for the info about local. I will change it now.

The reason you can access router.local is likely because your client is using mDNS (which is running on the router) to resolve the name instead of DNS. It's for exactly this reason I suggest not using .local for DNS, it just leads to confusion.

We've seen the problem you're experiencing before with Ubuntu. Are you running any Windows clients?

Oh, since it was a suggestion, I didn't think it would be the reason.
I just changed it from local to home and it worked!
Thanks!
An off-topic small annoyance, browsers try to make a search when I use .lan or .home. I will try to find something that doesn't cause this.

My preference is to use home.lan as the local domain name (similar to most public domains, e.g. google.com) rather than just lan.

Yes, but browsers still make a web search when it is typed on the address bar without starting with "HTTP://". At least it doesn't do that if I visit the page once.

Yes, but browsers still make a web search when it is typed on the address bar without starting with "HTTP://". At least it doesn't do that if I visit the page once.

Since lan.com doesn't seem to work on the internet, just use that as your local domain. Or pick whatever you want that you'll never need to hit via the internet. That is if typing http:// is too much of an annoyance. Or make it something like intra.lan.com or me.lan.com or whatever domain you want, as it is unlikely they'd use something that specific.

Okay, so I was under the impression that you could only access Docker containers by their host name from the machine they are running on.

try: home.arpa
That's not the point though. According to the RFC Dave posted the reserved domain is home.arpa. not home.arpa It's meant to replace .home

EDIT: I'd guess it'd work on the grounds that trailing dots are ignored/presumed anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I found another suggestion myself :)
Just adding / at the end is enough for the browser to detect it as a URL. Like this: home.lan/

@mutlucan did you get this up and running in the way you expected? I only ask because I've done this, but took a very different tangent to that discussed!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!