What's new

How do I know if I am accessing primary router or repeater?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skuba

New Around Here
I have successfully setup an ASUS RT-N66U as primary router and a Motorola WR850G as a repeater. If both SSID are the same how can I tell which one my devices are accessing? I want to make sure the devices are flowing access from one to another depending on best signal.

The repeater was setup to give better access in the bedrooms. I do notice a much slower DL speed in the bedroom so I am not sure if it's because I am accessing repeater which is a g router, or if it's just because I am far from the primary n router.

I get around 24-28Mbps in the living room where primary is, and about 2-4Mbps in the bedrooms. Does this sound normal?

Thanks so much

The only way you can do this is with a client utility or other program that allows you to see the BSSID that you are connected to. Windows Wireless Connection status does not show this information.

I get around 24-28Mbps in the living room where primary is, and about 2-4Mbps in the bedrooms. Does this sound normal?

Thanks so much

Mbps = bits/sec, right? MBps is bytes/sec.

What's the received signal strength?

WiFi clients often don't pick "strongest signal". If they choose the main router, and you move close to a WDS (repeater), or any other access device, they won't automatically switch.

With Access Points to improve coverage, you can use a different SSID and see that in your connection choices.

As said above, when the same SSID has to be used with WDS, you need client software that will display the MAC address of the WDS, so you can choose to connect to it rather than the WiFi router.

Or... if you're near the WDS device, you can assume that it's the one with the strongest signal - among the list of devices you see in the client's survey list.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!