What's new

How to choose: RT-AC86U or GT-AC2900?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

enough, Why don't you kill me?
Stop the dumb spam already.

Merlin doesn't support any "GT" models , which you would know if you read the information on his pages, so there is no contest between your choices.

The choice is yours! Have a router with firmware Rmerlin inside (AC86) or a router more flashy with more bells and trumpets without Rmerlin FW ;)

Though I doubt it but threads such as these are foreshadowing the consequences of the eventual release of Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13.

I also remember that thread about a user complaining his router overheats. Turns out he removed the heat sink and wondered why.

I think your missing the point. If your not going to use any advanced features then there is no reason to buy a router because Merlin supports it. Get the router that fits your needs whether it's Asus or any other vendor. I have used both Asus stock and Merlin's firmware for years and as far as basic performance there is no difference between Asus and Merlin.

Thank you, maybe I need to find what I need.
I need an advanced OpenVPN client, this from Merlin, so I don't need 160MHz, I don't need Link aggregation, even they is very good feature.

So, I think I found my needs, thank you.

But, if Eric will support the GT-AC2900, I will immediately change my mind, or Eric can let the RT-AC86U supports the 160MHz and the Link aggregation. They are exactly the same hardware, just copy the binary. @RMerlin
Good luck to you asking Eric to support GT series is like asking asus not to make them ( it is also like asking asus to provide frequent updates for them as well.).