What's new

How to setup IPTV Properly (Telus)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrhappydude

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have searched around and haven't really found anything yet that makes sense or solves my problem so maybe someone will be so kind as to provide some assistance.

I have an RT-AC66U with the latest merlin custom firmware loaded on it.
It is plugged into a modem (not router/modem) and that is working fine.

I have Port 4 set for IPTV, provider profile is none.

Port 4 is plugged into a switch where there are 6 STB including the DVR. It seems to give out the ip addresses via dhcp and sticks everything on VLAN 2 but after a couple hours i have not internet yet the STB's are working but nothing else no wireless-> internet no lan -> internet.

I then turned of IPTV and everything is running on the same ip range but there is some stuttering on the TV not much but occasional. I would really love to have the VLAN thing working without having to go back to a two router implementation.

If you have stuttering when you don't set VLAN, that probably means IGMP snoofing is not working and STB streams are flooding the LAN. I suspect it's currently broken at the firmware level, so nothing you can do in this case.

If you set VLAN on port4, that mean all six of STB/DVR are taking public IP. Does your ISP provide more than six public IP concurrently?

Telus, I believe with only give two public ip's. It did hand out 6 but not long after everything shutdown and it was painful to get it back and working again.

I have read up on lots of stuff today that says that you can setup multiple vlans but have to do it via telnet and I don't know enough about what I am doing yet to feel confident. But would love to learn as it doesn't seem to be rocket science.

I don't even want to make my stb's to grab a public IP i just want another subnet. When I have the double nat setup it worked great but I hate the telus router/modem and hence I am here today.

No stuttering right now but only a couple stb on so I will report back.

Thanks for the reply.

So no stuttering but you can tell it is impacting the rest of the devices on the lan.

Really hope someone can help me out.

I believe SDK6 broke vlan support, at least i never got IPTV working after SDK change, works fine on older firmwares with SDK5.

I believe SDK6 broke vlan support, at least i never got IPTV working after SDK change, works fine on older firmwares with SDK5.

on rt-ac66u there is no skd5, its all SKD6 . SDK6 is where AC started i believe. probably getting telus tv in june when my shaw promo is up so im also interested in this

Yes, 3 and 4, then 3 and then 4.

I did a bunch more reading last night and going to try to implement what I have read and see how successful it is. If successful I will write a full how to and hopefully it will be made a sticky.

Overall having everything in the same ip range is working with no stuttering but it has slowed down the network a bit and that is with 5 stb's on and on HD channels or watching recorded HD.

So I almost have this working using this thread
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=14983

however, it does not give me internet access unless i add vlan4 to bride br0. also is not giving out ip addresses, if I bridge then I get ip from vlan1 so there must be additional config this guy did...perhaps created another bridge br1

nat-start
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
robocfg vlan 1 ports "1 2 3 8t"
robocfg vlan 4 ports "4 8t"
vconfig add eth0 4
brctl addif br0 vlan4
ifconfig vlan4 192.168.3.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
iptables -I FORWARD -i vlan4 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i vlan4 -o br0 -m state --state NEW -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o vlan4 -m state --state NEW -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -i vlan4 -j ACCEPT

dnsmasq.conf.add
Code:
interface=vlan4
dhcp-range=vlan4,192.168.3.100,192.168.3.200,255.255.255.0,86400s
dhcp-option=vlan4,3,192.168.3.1
dhcp-option=vlan4,6,192.168.3.1,0.0.0.0

The other issues is going to be turning on igmp proxy and igmp snooping on vlan4

It would be awesome if some guru would assist.

You don't need all that only if IGMP snoofing is not broken, but alas.
It's broken with merlin 39, 40 and the latest stock Asus firmware but, it once worked with older - maybe a couple of versions older - stock version.

If you VLANed out all the STBs then you don't need IGMP snoofing, IGMP snoofing is a Port-based forwarding. If VLAN1 is flooding with IGMP packets, you can try ebtables.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_IPTV_without_impact_to_LAN_and_Wireless_traffic

My STB shuts whole LAN down if I watch Full HD channel without VLAN or IGMP Snoofing. I had to signle out STB with VLAN port 4 giving it a public IP. I gave up putting STB on a private subnet as soon as IGMP snoofing is not working. It's a shame for ASUS advertising a feature that is broken. IGMP Snoofing is very uncommon feature - even MikroTik Router OS doesn't support it - It was why I choose ASUS over Netgear.

You might consider trying Tomato by Shibby firmware for better control over VLAN settings

Last edited: