What's new

How well does your AX86U Pro work for you

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SuperFreaky

Occasional Visitor
Hey all
i've just bought an Ax86u Pro on sale on amazon for $379 Australian dollars (arriving tomorrow)
to replace my ax86u (already have a buyer for it).
Just want to ask those who have an ax86u pro what the performance is like for you and is there anything i need to know in terms of firmware quirks or any issues if there is any
cheers.

Hey all
i've just bought an Ax86u Pro on sale on amazon for $379 Australian dollars (arriving tomorrow)
Just want to ask those who have an ax86u pro what the performance is like for you and is there anything i need to know in terms of firmware quirks or any issues if there is any
cheers.

The main thing to be aware of is a lot of the "pro" features are still beta.

No issues here. Replaced an ac86 now working as a mesh node. Reset to defaults, went directly to the latest merlin beta, then redid my settings manually. Odd to me that the ax86Pro was a lot cheaper than the ax86.

I have tested Merlin but have gone back to Asus firmware. Works well here with no complaints from the family. Also using an AX86U as a mesh node.

I have tested Merlin but have gone back to Asus firmware. Works well here with no complaints from the family. Also using an AX86U as a mesh node.
glad to hear no complaints! what made you switch back to stock over merlin?

Newly acquired AX86U-Pro performance is good :)

merlin beta 2 wifi.jpg

Wireless using Pixel 7 Pro | AX 153/80 (approx distance 6ft - through ordinary wall)

merlin beta 2 internet.jpg

Last edited:
glad to hear no complaints! what made you switch back to stock over merlin?
That is a long story. Short version is I have some health issues. I need firmware that someone else, that is not a nerd, can mannage should I not be here. And Asus has DoT and DNSSEC now.

Last edited:
Hey all
cheers.
Interesting. If you are a psychic you may feel the difference.

That is a long story. Short version is I have some health issues. I need firmware that someone else, that is not a need, can mannage should I not be here. And Asus has DoT and DNSSEC now.
I can understand that. I am starting to think that way myself.

I got mine a week ago from Amazon for £170 for an EU version. It was a listing error because I noticed the next day the same product price had changed to £286.25. I got a UK adapter for it and it works great so far.

It replaces a DSL-AC68U which I had on Gnuton’s excellent official Merlin fork. I had no issues with it but I’ve quite a few AX devices now and with the “low price” I felt compelled.

From what I’ve read there’s very little difference in practice between the Pro and the standard except for a 200Mhz bump on the CPU and a swap between a LAN port and a USB port. But so far it’s working great.

My internet is G.Fast so I only get about 300 d/l and 45 u/l but it’s providing the full speed wirelessly so I am satisfied with this and know that I have good future proofing for a while yet. Hope you enjoy yours.

Interesting. If you are a psychic you may feel the difference.
I mainly bought it cause my Ax86u is about to run out of warranty, owned for 3 years now
Also wanted to be updated inline with current hardware and firmware going forward
Loved my current router so much I replaced it with upgraded internals 🤝

I got mine a week ago from Amazon for £170 for an EU version. It was a listing error because I noticed the next day the same product price had changed to £286.25. I got a UK adapter for it and it works great so far.

It replaces a DSL-AC68U which I had on Gnuton’s excellent official Merlin fork. I had no issues with it but I’ve quite a few AX devices now and with the “low price” I felt compelled.

From what I’ve read there’s very little difference in practice between the Pro and the standard except for a 200Mhz bump on the CPU and a swap between a LAN port and a USB port. But so far it’s working great.

My internet is G.Fast so I only get about 300 d/l and 45 u/l but it’s providing the full speed wirelessly so I am satisfied with this and know that I have good future proofing for a while yet. Hope you enjoy yours.
Also to note pro version has ddr4 ram over the original ddr3
I’m running 1000/50 fibre (yes I know low upload, Aussie isps sucks)

Well I have 100/100 FIOS. Sure I could upgrade but I'm paying the same as the 10/1 DSL I had in the old house. With three of us surfing and streaming video at the same time there are no bandwidth issues! Yes, I know the AX86U Pro is overkill and I do not need to use the AX86U as a mesh node...but I can!

Well I have 100/100 FIOS. Sure I could upgrade but I'm paying the same as the 10/1 DSL I had in the old house. With three of us surfing and streaming video at the same time there are no bandwidth issues! Yes, I know the AX86U Pro is overkill and I do not need to use the AX86U as a mesh node...but I can!

Check into it - most people still on 100/100 it is just because they're using coax/MOCA instead of ethernet. Swapped my neighbors to ethernet and they went to 300/300 (the slowest tier offered now) automatically.

I was on 100/100, upgraded to 200/200 then 300/300 both times for free, you just had to go into your account and click it. That was a couple years ago.

The primary point of the Pro is the new firmware features (VLANs. advanced guest, etc). Some of the features are still in alpha/beta. The hardware increase is fairly negligible.

That's the same thing many in the US are stuck on with Comcast/Xfinity so it isn't limited to Aus.

good news, received the 86u pro and it’s running great on the newest 388.4 beta 2
Getting 800-850 on my 2x2 5Ghz wifi 6 client
Extremely stable for gaming also via Ethernet
Happy camper here

good news, received the 86u pro and it’s running great on the newest 388.4 beta 2
Getting 800-850 on my 2x2 5Ghz wifi 6 client
Extremely stable for gaming also via Ethernet
Happy camper here

Are those speeds any better than your AX86u?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!